Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
2011 FC Corrosion

I'm copying my post from a corrosion thread to alert owners of later model Flying Clouds to the issue of filliform corrosion. There is a huge amount of discussion of this on the forum, and it's worth attention on your later model trailer.

The corrosion at every marker light suddenly appeared on our 2011 FC23FB within six weeks of my last polishing. This trailer is 27 months old and has been washed with ArmorAll products after every use, and polished with NuFinish twice per year. It is normally stored under cover in very low humidity in Colorado, but did spend five months at the Gulf Coast this year. The skin looks great, but there is the corrosion at the leading and trailing edges of each marker light. Upon my request, Airstream has offered a 'goodwill' clearcoat repair and replacement with the Classic castings by my dealer. That's good (except for the 500 mile roundtrip to the dealer) but I really want to understand the cause of this corrosion. If it was my sailboat I would say electrolysis, but I don't see that process with the trailer. Is this aluminum skin really so vulnerable to corrosion? What reasonable care will prevent such?

A good article is http://aluminium.matter.org.uk/conte...eid=2144416691.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
While we no longer have it, our 2011 23 FBFC had the exact same issues.

Interesting to see JC offering to help make things good.

They sent a sample (can't remember which brand) tube of corrosion preventative, and it arrested that which we had.

I would be interested in what their definition of a clearcoat repair actually is.

Good luck!

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good to have the alert but no sense in another duplicate discussion. Here's discussion, and some solutions with photos:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-31743-99.html

doug k
Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I have not seen any around the lights on my 2010 which has never been undercover here on the "wet" coast.

I saw something close to the roof - a 1/2 inch flaw - but don't know if it's a scratch or corrosion.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Oops. Thought I had some bug splatter on the right rear tail light housing. Upon closer inspection, it's corrosion.

Hit it with some Boeshield; I'm not going to worry about it. Someone here said I was "anal" about my new trailer. Looking back, I probably was. That has since dissipated.

But, since the tail lights are one of the focal points, what I'd like to do someday is have both tail light housings chromed. That would look kewl, and would match the bumper.

hmmm....just realized chroming is very expensive and some jurisdictions do not allow chroming (because of the environmental toxicity factor).

Jay Leno recommends this spray-on chrome....
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
I'm copying my post from a corrosion thread to alert owners of later model Flying Clouds to the issue of filliform corrosion. There is a huge amount of discussion of this on the forum, and it's worth attention on your later model trailer.

The corrosion at every marker light suddenly appeared on our 2011 FC23FB within six weeks of my last polishing. This trailer is 27 months old and has been washed with ArmorAll products after every use, and polished with NuFinish twice per year. It is normally stored under cover in very low humidity in Colorado, but did spend five months at the Gulf Coast this year. The skin looks great, but there is the corrosion at the leading and trailing edges of each marker light. Upon my request, Airstream has offered a 'goodwill' clearcoat repair and replacement with the Classic castings by my dealer.

A good article is http://aluminium.matter.org.uk/conte...eid=2144416691.
Update:

Airstream, while careful not to admit any fault with regard to corrosion caused by the non-gasketed clearance light bases on my out-of-warranty FC23FB, did cover the corrosion damage repair and replacement with Classic castings by my dealer. The repair instructions were explicit, and the result appears to be good. The castings are completely sealed to the skin as are the lenses to the castings.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I am taking my 2012 FC 25FB in next week. My service folks said this is not covered by warranty, but they will approach Airstream with a "good will" request. To be truthful, I am surprised that there has not been a class action suit on this one. It's one of those trivial, but fatal errors that get manufacturers from time to time. I will post the results when I get an answer.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
I am taking my 2012 FC 25FB in next week. My service folks said this is not covered by warranty, but they will approach Airstream with a "good will" request. To be truthful, I am surprised that there has not been a class action suit on this one. It's one of those trivial, but fatal errors that get manufacturers from time to time. I will post the results when I get an answer.
Drathaar - have you called the factory directly? I did and they are sending the castings (currently on back order) to my dealer.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Drathaar - have you called the factory directly? I did and they are sending the castings (currently on back order) to my dealer.
No, but I may do that. Thanks for the heads up.