Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I had an early broken claw incident with our ZipDee. The claw and pin is a very poor design, highly susceptible to misplacement and failure. When I called for replacement of the claw, they did grudgingly replace it after rudely lecturing me for not using it properly. When I suggested that the design flaw should be corrected, the response was "we've made it that way forever - it's the users that are the problem". Amazing arrogance! The Fiamma awning on our Casita was a much better designed product.

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Same impression I received. If something breaks, its user error not product.

Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon

The 2012 fc/fb now comes standard with 15000 btu Dometic and the MSRP was higher.One other thing you can do besides the awnings which no AS shoiuld be without is cover the vent and skylight openings and adding better window coverings will also help at a cost.

Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
As a fellow Floridian dealing with heat and a 25' Flying Cloud with the 13.5 BTU AC, I've done a few things to make my AC more effective. First, I added the roadside and rear awnings - this gives shade to the sides of the trailer in the hottest part of the day. The other thing I did was get my windows professionally tinted. The tint really helps. The factory has a dye in the glass that makes the windows somewhat darker but the film I had installed reduces the UV and infrared rays. The curved rear corner windows were done with one piece of film too (heat gun trick). The trailer looks great and the film adds to the privacy. Overall, I've been content with the cooling feature - the AC fan blower noise is another subject.

One other thing I learned in the forums (using the search function) is to turn the thermostat down much lower than you really want the temperature to be (try 60-65). It works. I wasn't getting cool enough by setting it at 75.

On your water leak inside from the AC, try the auto fan feature. When the compressor and fan cut off completely, this lets the water drain out on to the ground better. When the fan stays on all the time, the fan keeps pushing moisture back into the air of the trailer.

herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
So, I have broken TWO of the claw pieces on my Zip Dee awning. If they are designed to break easily, it's an excellent design. I guess the manufacturer would be a lot happier if we customers got smarter...we customers would be a lot happier if they didn't make a cheap pot metal casting for this essential piece of gear.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I wouldn't have minded as much if I knew what was causing them to break. Two separate A/S and broken claws on both and you're right, the pot metal cracks away if you look at it the wrong way. Of course the design is perfect, just user error.

Tater is offline   Reply With Quote