Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
2010 - 2014 Flying Cloud 25

Today, we spent an 1 1/2 hours in a new 2015 25' Flying Cloud Rear Bed (Twin). As we counted, it had 16 cabinets and drawers in the lounge and kitchen area and another 10 cabinets and drawers in the bedroom (not counting the bath area). This TT had 5 outside storage compartments. That seems like a lot of storage. And of course it had the ducted AC.

Would the storage configuration for the 2015 25' RB (Twin) be the same in the years from about 2010 to 2014?

And would the ducted AC be the most significant upgrade/difference for the same previous model years?

Thank you in advance for tutoring us. Airstream 101 ain't so easy!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I have a 2014 rear twin. Definitely 5 outside compartments. Not sure of kitchen area or bedroom and trailer is 200 miles away. I don't recall 10 in the bedroom though. There are 2 over the rear window and one over the side window. Then a longer one adjacent the bath wall. Below the beds there is more storage. Pretty sure it is 2 on each side.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a 2012 Rear Bed (Queen). It was the first year of this new 25 model and has some unique features, and we made some changes to ours.

The bath is large for a 25, it is exactly the same bath found in 30' models. (We added a large mirror and reversed the door opening by turning it over and mounting the hinge to the opposite side.)

The convection/microwave is positioned over the fridge, convenient to use.

All 2012 models and newer have a tubular seal added between the shell and rear bumper plate to prevent a well-known water entry point here.

During the 2011 model year and later Airstream changed much of the trailer lighting to LED. Larger tv's were used. During this period they began using Never-Lube axle bearings and Never-Adjust brakes, not sure of exact years.

The 25' Rear Bed has the furnace located behind the kitchen sink, increasing storage under the lounge. It also allows the dinette/lounge to be removed leaving an open area for installation of recliners, center console, and folding extension table on the side. Using these components from the 30' recliner model becomes a Recliner Option for the 25 Rear Bed. (We had this done by Airstream at the Factory Service Center as seen in our Avatar).

The ducted air is a surely a significant improvement for those who use the A/C frequently because it is quieter. Our travels are in moderate climates/temperatures and we almost never use it.

We have traveled and lived in this Airstream a total of 23 months, coast to coast and border-to-border twice. It is a very versatile model in all camping sites and conditions, very comfortable for two, and tows beautifully with a half-ton truck and Hensley/ProPride hitch system. The 25 is the smallest of the large Airstreams but has many of the advantages in a more compact package.

This is our experience with this model, hoping it is useful.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I am interested in your bathroom door mod. What are the advantages in doing this?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I am interested in your bathroom door mod. What are the advantages in doing this?
We could find no reason whatsoever for having the door open towards the living area. As the exact template for this bath is lifted from the 30' model, maybe that is the reason.

Opening toward the bedroom:

Allows privacy from the living area when using any of the bath facilities.

The toilet is not visible from the living area, a design error I think.

The door can be opened as a quick screen for private dressing in the bed/bath area, and also when showering.

The bath door may be swung 180 degrees so it is wide open for our portable electric heater (see Avatar) can circulate air through the entire trailer, including the bath during the night.

The bath is easier to access during the night from the bedroom.

It's a really easy change. Remove the screws holding the hinge to the wall, leaving hinge on the door. Turn it upside down (the latch is near center in height of door), align it and prop it in place, predrill top and bottom hinge screw holes and fasten. Check for alignment and operation, if okay predrill remaining holes and fasten. Move the catch to the opposite side. Fill the old screw holes with wood putty and smooth.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We could find no reason whatsoever for having the door open towards the living area. As the exact template for this bath is lifted from the 30' model, maybe that is the reason.

Opening toward the bedroom:

Allows privacy from the living area when using any of the bath facilities.

The toilet is not visible from the living area, a design error I think.

The door can be opened as a quick screen for private dressing in the bed/bath area, and also when showering.

The bath door may be swung 180 degrees so it is wide open for our portable electric heater (see Avatar) can circulate air through the entire trailer, including the bath.

The bath is easier to access during the night from the bedroom.

It's a really easy change. Remove the screws holding the hinge to the wall, leaving hinge on the door. Turn it upside down (the latch is near center in height of door), align it and prop it in place, predrill top and bottom hinge screw holes and fasten. Check for alignment and operation, if okay predrill remaining holes and fasten. Move the catch to the opposite side. Fill the old screw holes with wood putty and smooth.
On my way out to the trailer scope this out!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Interesting because our 25 FB has the toilet door hinge on the living room side so that all of those benefits are there. It is easier to just open that door to provide some dressing privacy in the bedroom than to unsnap and open the accordion door.
Larry
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Larry, I agree it is much better opening toward the bedroom so spent an hour of my busy day flipping the door over on our 2012 Rear Bed 25. May improve the 30' models as well.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, went out there to take a look. What did you do with the dozen or so holes where the hinge used to be? The wife vetoed the idea until I solve that issue. I do agree that it looks like a much better option than the way it is now.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
These are pieces of solid oak and the screw holes are very small. I filled the holes with a near match wood putty from the hardware store, and just smoothed it and cleaned it up with a putty knife.

You could also touch up with a clear satin polyurethane, but you will never be looking at it. Can't see it when the door is closed and not looking there when opening the door. The hole left by the catch on the opposite side is covered by the hinge when you mount it in the new position.

Easy change, be very sure the position and alignment to the surrounding wall is right before pre-drilling all holes and screwing it down.

Note: The holes in the metal hinge are not in uniform alignment so fit the top and bottom holes first, check alignment, mount with those two holes, then pre-drill and install screws in the remaining holes. When mounted properly, the space at the top should be the same as original, and the door should swing 180 degrees open towards the fridge and lie flat agains the small bath wall section there.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I am going to do it. I'll ask for forgiveness. Much easier than permission!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Take your time to get the positioning in the frame right, I think she'll like it a lot.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I will. I think we'll both like it.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sounds good. You may be experienced in woodwork and most probably know that when I suggest pre-drilling the oak frame for screws to prevent splitting this hardwood, the size bit used for pre drilling is quite a bit smaller than the screws themselves so they are good and snug when installed.