Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
20-footers

hello! a few of us new folks with 20 foot flyin'clouds have be chatting in the new members section .Thought I'd give a shout out to any others here that might have (and love !) the 20 . Anybody know production numbers of the model ? being a heavy short trailer I'm curious if its a popular model ?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
My wife and I are big fans of the 20 foot Flying Cloud. Our whole journey into this trailer did not start as expected. Like most people - we wanted a small trailer - initially thinking the 16 foot would be for us after looking into vintage trailers first. My wife initially wanted some vintage trailer like a Shasta (it has wings...) - but I kept saying that the vintage trailers seemed more like a big metal tent than a useful trailer. And I wanted a shower, and a bathroom, and a trailer with brakes if we were going to purchase a trailer (despite the $30k difference in price).

But once we started looking at trailers (sitting in them at a dealer) we felt quite comfortable in a 20 foot. Then we started to say things like, "the 19 foot is nice, but, for us, the 20 foot seems much more useful," basically because of the galley... I generally do not like to purchase expensive items new so we kept this whole camper purchase on the back burner. Then a 20 foot camper came up in our area - it was relatively new (2 years old) and was in good condition. We visited the trailer and bought it that week from a private party...

We've only been on a couple of trips, but everything has worked out so far. I'm still concerned about all the things that I worry about - I'm no expert in plumbing, electrical, roofing, wheels, leaks, fans, hitches, tires, axles, etc. That and I was finishing up a degree so I really did not want to think about any of this stuff until after I completed my school work. Alas, it was a deal that my wife could not give up... So, we now have a 20 foot trailer. And I have things to worry about beyond school...

An aside:
After purchasing the Airstream, I found out how little SOBs cost relative to the Airstream... So far I haven't found a different brand that I would like more than what we have at the same price point. Still, though, by golly, that used Airstream was kinda pricey...

Aside #2:
I never knew how many people would judge/stereotype me for owning an Airstream. I find it a bit surprising, overwhelming, amusing and maybe a bit disheartening... I'm pretty sure I'm the same person I was before the Airstream. Others may say that is true, but the Airstream I purchased was probably a latent connection that became reified after the purchase (that is, I was always an Airstreamer whether I had one or not...).
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The FC 20 is a unique floorplan not found anywhere else for the size. We looked at one when considering AS hoping we'd like it enough so we could use our 2005 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L. We couldn't afford new so the 20 we saw was not cleaned up and some of the fabric trim around the dinette was wearing off, the seller had it on consignment and didn't want to spend the money for the dealer to have it cleaned up and detailed so it didn't show nice. However we decided it had some thinks missing from our Casita 17; a smaller grey holding tank and a smaller bed. Our Casita had a 54" bed while the FC 20 only has a 48" bed so in the end we started looking at 23' models and eventually ended up with a 25fb and having to purchase a preowned Tundra 5.7L truck.

It would be neat if AS could take the best of the FC 20 (rear kitchen/bath) and put the FC 23fb front bedroom on the 20 floor plan. It would be a new 23ft model with tandem axles, larger grey tank and a 5 cu/ft fridge. I think it could replace the 23fb then.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Couldn't agree more. The galley, full bath are best use of space IMHO. The 20 might be a bit crowded for a (partial or) full timing couple that needed some private space, but for a single like me, it is near perfect.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Oh and yes, the floor plan is also available in the Safari 2008 and earlier. I wonder if that could be folded into this forum without prejudice.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We purchased a "little used" 2008 20' Safari from Out of Doors Mart. The unit was a one owner purchased new from Out of Doors Mart and we were able to talk to the original owner prior to purchase. We also looked at a new 22' Sport model. The deciding factors were the overall length, the rear kitchen, large windows over the dinette and as compared to the 22' Sport the extra width. We also like having the bath sink inside the bath. (I will admit that the bed is difficult to make-up.) This was our first purchase of a RV and having very little towing experience we wanted a shorter unit. The 20' model keeps it short, but not too short, while providing most of the conveniences found in a larger unit.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
hi all! I think we, like a lot of 20 foot owners did the goldilocks thing .The galley was a big selling point ,but the frame with full box section ,and the larger wheels ,tires ,and axle (plus a bunch of lesser features ) made me feel like this was a solid choice. Bearscream ,is the safari narrower ?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
AFAIK, no mazoolah. FC20 was a rebranding of the Safari20. There are the usual yearly refinements. As I am looking for a 20, that is my working assumption, or I would not consider a Safari20 if it offered less interior space, i.e. 7'7" interior width. Pix seem consistent. If anyone knows otherwise, please post.

/myles
Old 11-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Love our 2007. Longest trip was 5 Month's, and still married ! We have done a few upgrades and mods. Havn't had any problems.
We look at other SOB's and Airstream's ,and so far come back to the 20.
We use it as "Twin Bed's" by setting up the dinette every night.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Update on Safari 20 dimensions. The archive at Colonial AS shows
20 Safari SE - 2008 Airstream Safari SE 20C
Exterior Height w/AC - 9' 5" • Interior Height - 6' 4.5" * Exterior width - 8' • Interior Width - 7' 7" • Exterior Length - 20'10"
/myles

Old 11-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is my favorite floorplan in the modern trailers. If I were to upgrade from vintage, that's the one I want

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
hi all! I think we, like a lot of 20 foot owners did the goldilocks thing .The galley was a big selling point ,but the frame with full box section ,and the larger wheels ,tires ,and axle (plus a bunch of lesser features ) made me feel like this was a solid choice. Bearscream ,is the safari narrower ?

Hello Fellow FC 20',
Mazoolah, thank you for initiating this thread! Your timing could not have been better, especially since many of us are suffering from the post plumbing the "pink stuff" disorder! You are spot on about the Goldilocks thing, as I believe I actually mentioned we did this on our two pre-purchase visits to Colonial Airstream.
We always admired the Bambi TT and had hoped the smallest of trailers would be satisfactory, however, the FC 20' FB felt "just right" for the two of us and our little pup.

We must have trotted through nearly 12-15 different models during our decision making in addition to watching countless YouTube videos. Another dealer in Ohio even made a personalized video for me as a kind gesture during our shopping period. Ultimately, we were very pleased we our experience at Colonial.

After our first season this summer camped 5 trips in 4 states for total 25 nights at State Parks with 12 consecutive nights without hookups. Despite less than optimal weather, we really enjoyed our first season. Since we constructed a driveway extension to serve as a Flying Cloud "landing pad", we can look at our FC while enjoying the warmth of our indoor fireplace while we plan the next adventures.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hello Fellow FC 20',
Mazoolah, thank you for initiating this thread! Your timing could not have been better, especially since many of us are suffering from the post plumbing the "pink stuff" disorder! You are spot on about the Goldilocks thing, as I believe I actually mentioned we did this on our two pre-purchase visits to Colonial Airstream.
We always admired the Bambi TT and had hoped the smallest of trailers would be satisfactory, however, the FC 20' FB felt "just right" for the two of us and our little pup.

We must have trotted through nearly 12-15 different models during our decision making in addition to watching countless YouTube videos. Another dealer in Ohio even made a personalized video for me as a kind gesture during our shopping period. Ultimately, we were very pleased we our experience at Colonial.

After our first season this summer camped 5 trips in 4 states for total 25 nights at State Parks with 12 consecutive nights without hookups. Despite less than optimal weather, we really enjoyed our first season. Since we constructed a driveway extension to serve as a Flying Cloud "landing pad", we can look at our FC while enjoying the warmth of our indoor fireplace while we plan the next adventures.

Funny how similar all of our searches were! We have been studying and debating for years over what type of RV to purchase in anticipation of retiring and part-timing. We looked at everything, but AS was always calling to us. My wife's parents and grandparents had Airstreams and my favorite aunt and uncle were fulltimers for years in their AS. When we finally made the choice to go "shiny" the studying and debating started anew! Hours and hours looking at Youtube and AS Classified ads and going to the dealer again and again until it became clear after looking from the 16 to the 25, that the FC20 was the perfect combination of the layout and features we wanted. I am WAY to cheap to buy new (but not too cheap to buy the best!) so we started the search for a newer, gently used 20. OK, that was not easy! We missed three deals because we didn't act quickly enough so I actually told my colleagues that I may have to take off work and fly across country somewhere at a moments notice. So in September we're in bed about to turn the lights off and my wife says - reading her iPad - "oh, here's one...looks like a perfect 2011" So I ask, "where is it? California, Florida, .... BFE?" Turns out it was for sale in our own little town in northern Michigan! Bought it the next day. Only one shakedown trip so far, but we LOVE it!

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Huge fan of the FC20 ... miss it; but the 3' rule kicked in ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks, Mazoolah, for starting this thread! It will be fun to chat and share stories with other 20 owners.

Our story is similar to others, except only one of us obsessed (yours truly) about getting an RV -- ANY RV. For three years, I read everything I could about the RV models (all motorhome classes and all kinds of trailer types). My partner would have none of it. Ignoring me outright at times.

He managed to deter me until the day I said, "want to look at Airstreams." That's all it took! I found four smaller sizes I thought would be good (16, 19, 20, 23) since we wanted to keep our TV at the SUV size because it's our only car and a daily driver. We looked closely at all four sizes, and we both fell in love with the 20. The layout is perfect for the two of us and a dog. We like the galley space and having a contained bathroom with a full shower. We've now owned ours (The Silver Savoy) for a year now. This was our first full season, and we managed to get out for 12 trips. They were mostly weekend/long weekend trips with a one-week long trip to Bar Harbor. We have NO regrets. It has been one of the best summers we've had in a long time!
Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Dave View Post
Thanks, Mazoolah, for starting this thread! It will be fun to chat and share stories with other 20 owners.

Our story is similar to others, except only one of us obsessed (yours truly) about getting an RV -- ANY RV. For three years, I read everything I could about the RV models (all motorhome classes and all kinds of trailer types). My partner would have none of it. Ignoring me outright at times.

He managed to deter me until the day I said, "want to look at Airstreams." That's all it took! I found four smaller sizes I thought would be good (16, 19, 20, 23) since we wanted to keep our TV at the SUV size because it's our only car and a daily driver. We looked closely at all four sizes, and we both fell in love with the 20. The layout is perfect for the two of us and a dog. We like the galley space and having a contained bathroom with a full shower. We've now owned ours (The Silver Savoy) for a year now. This was our first full season, and we managed to get out for 12 trips. They were mostly weekend/long weekend trips with a one-week long trip to Bar Harbor. We have NO regrets. It has been one of the best summers we've had in a long time!

"Silver Savoy" What a great name!

Just noticed, last night, that the road immediately before we turn into our storage location is called Silver Hawk....hmmmm

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Great thread started! Thanks Mazoolah (aka DH).
I can't believe how similar our 20' search was to Ukulele 2010's journey plus all the other folks posted here.

We talked about getting an airstream "some day" for 15 years. Hubby bought me a book with pictures & floor plans and I'd fall asleep reading it - dreaming of the day... The book isn't very big so it was reread many times!
We thought we wanted vintage, but then realized that would be a huge project way beyond our skills set and wallet. We also thought we wanted 19'. Checking out several units at various times and coming close on a couple private deals ended up new at Colonial. Never thought in a million years we'd be buying new - but it worked out for us to so.

And like Ukulele mentions - surprisingly some folks have made some judgements as to what kind of person I am based on our purchase. But most folks are very excited for us!

We have only gotten to take it out 3 times this season as we purchased in July. Looking forward to planning for next year and meeting some other Streamers!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hello Fellow FC 20',

I think I watched the you tube video of your trailer a 100 times before I found the vid of ours ! I'm keeping the link on my desk top to get me thru the winter ,wish I knew how to save it off you tube . We are jealous of your landing pad ,so much so that we are looking for a new house thats rv friendly !
Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We bought the 2014 Flying Cloud 20' FB Golden Night with leatherette dinette from Colonial Airstream NJ. We priced shopped with dealers in Ohio & Tennessee while also looking for gently used unit. The YouTube video from Hadocy is not the color we purchased but love the personalized video. No other dealer had the exact unit for the great price we finalized with Patrick. Here is the Hadocy video link for great walk through oh FC 20 C -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=aDR2w5B55rE
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
So our 2011 is dead stock. What mods have ya'll made?...I'm ready to embark on continuous improvement!

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367