Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #1101
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter, can you post pics when done?

bob
Here you go. I changed the plan a bit and eliminated the long bungee.

A disclaimer first -- I don't mind exposed hardware if the finish and design are good. Form follows function . . .

So the exposed stainless strap eyes may not appeal to some folks, but on their own they are preferable to exposed bases for white Velcro, and coachman's loops (if I understood that post correctly). The top eye near the sinks is also actually good for the corner of a thin hand/dish towel. Different strokes for different folks . . .

I need to get more blue bungees to match, so the next one will go between the others to keep the middle drawer in place. These bungees are not pulled particularly tight -- they are more for insurance purposes. They will not keep a drawer from opening in a crazy situation, but they will prevent it from opening very far, whereupon the road action will probably force the drawer closed again. The Velcro and coachman's loops/strapping will do a better job of locking the doors/drawers in place for sure. Not necessary IMO.

The one on the fridge is on a diagonal to the nearest coat hook, because it is too long to go horizontal to another strap eye inside the return wall of the coat hanging area, which I plan to do, so they are all horizontal. OCD maybe . . . OK . . .

The bungee on the exterior door is an experiment until I can fabricate that wooden "keeper" from another thread, to keep our "suicide door" closed on the road. Our deadbolt seems very secure, which the old ones were not IMO, so this potential door opening problem is quite theoretical I grant you. Again, belt and suspenders . . .

The peace of mind brought on by the bungee solutions is reassuring on the road -- the one time that bottom drawer under the oven pulled out and delaminated the plywood drawer was enough. Oh, I forgot to picture a small bungee from the closet door wire pull handle to the magazine rack in the corner by the bed, again set lightly.

Have a good weekend!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bungee A 9 JULY 2016.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	266294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bungee B 9 JULY 2016.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	266295  

Name:	Bungee C 9 JULY 2016.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	266296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bungee D 9 JULY 2016.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	266297  

Name:	Bungee E 9 JULY 2016.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	266298  
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #1102
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Bob...just saw your post on the campground. It was full hook ups
Steve, awesome, thanks. I was thinking about a 2-3 day layover somewhat midway between Mo/AR/OK and OR and this looks like a great spot (JM Robb Colorado River SP) I mentioned this to my wife and she said...oh yes, the area with all the fruit trees & grapes. Just like home.

Thanks for the info.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #1103
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Bob, my suggested mounting location was in Post 578 here back in March, just after Steve's questions you linked in the quote. I think that bulkhead between the front dinette seat and the bed is only a sheet of plywood -- 3/4" ? -- so the mount would have to be through-bolted IMO, which is OK IMO as I actually like visible cabinet hardware of a good quality and design.

Doubt if the exterior wall has any blocking etc. in it for a mount. The beauty of mounting on the bulkhead would be that by rotating the TV 180, you could also watch it from the dinette rear bench seat, or from the dinette bed if in that mode. With a couple of lawn chairs in the hall, you could have a Super Bowl party in the FC20!

This would allow removing the OEM TV and using that space above the fridge for more useful storage cabinets etc.. Yes a regular TV would work, and there are threads about this also, mainly for larger trailers.

There is also this thread with a similar discussion:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...er-150336.html

Regarding the Search function, I forget if I mentioned this before, but Post 9 in the following thread has some useful hints:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...es-145169.html
Peter, thanks for both the discussion link as well as the hints link. Much appreciated...my search skills do need improvement.

I also like the stagey for the super bowl party. I had thought about moving it vs adding one. I figured I'd gather my facts and decide. Makes good sense tho. Agreed on the backing...I'd by surprised if there was any substance behind the alu skin other than the std bulkhead.

Bob
Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #1104
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Here you go. I changed the plan a bit and eliminated the long bungee.

A disclaimer first -- I don't mind exposed hardware if the finish and design are good. Form follows function . . .

So the exposed stainless strap eyes may not appeal to some folks, but on their own they are preferable to exposed bases for white Velcro, and coachman's loops (if I understood that post correctly). The top eye near the sinks is also actually good for the corner of a thin hand/dish towel. Different strokes for different folks . . .

I need to get more blue bungees to match, so the next one will go between the others to keep the middle drawer in place. These bungees are not pulled particularly tight -- they are more for insurance purposes. They will not keep a drawer from opening in a crazy situation, but they will prevent it from opening very far, whereupon the road action will probably force the drawer closed again. The Velcro and coachman's loops/strapping will do a better job of locking the doors/drawers in place for sure. Not necessary IMO.

The one on the fridge is on a diagonal to the nearest coat hook, because it is too long to go horizontal to another strap eye inside the return wall of the coat hanging area, which I plan to do, so they are all horizontal. OCD maybe . . . OK . . .

The bungee on the exterior door is an experiment until I can fabricate that wooden "keeper" from another thread, to keep our "suicide door" closed on the road. Our deadbolt seems very secure, which the old ones were not IMO, so this potential door opening problem is quite theoretical I grant you. Again, belt and suspenders . . .

The peace of mind brought on by the bungee solutions is reassuring on the road -- the one time that bottom drawer under the oven pulled out and delaminated the plywood drawer was enough. Oh, I forgot to picture a small bungee from the closet door wire pull handle to the magazine rack in the corner by the bed, again set lightly.

Have a good weekend!

Peter
Peter thanks. I like this and agree form follows function. The velco while a good solution, was not a viable visual for me. The eye hooks of a good quality is a reasonable accommodation.

Thanks for the pics and the design.

I had figured out a way to lock the glides by the refer and think I found a cabinet lock that would work for the P & P drawer, but that leaves the 3 drawers and maybe the refer. You system is a one stop solution.

Re the refer I tend to put the heaver stuff on the doors to sort of lock them in place and the lighter stuff inside. Like the P & P drawer, controlling the movement/momentum of contents I believe is key. So far all is good.

Have a good weekend.

Looking at a puppy today

Bob
Old 07-11-2016, 04:55 AM   #1105
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
New quieter AC?

Has anyone replaced our noisy air conditioner? A recent post on another thread got me thinking that it might be worth it, as part of a general window etc. upgrade cycle, to include the items mentioned earlier in Post 1100. If -- that is -- the sound savings are significant and a drop-in replacement is do-able.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Click on Arrow links in each quote to go to that thread:

Quote:
Thanks for this information. Do you have the 13.5k or 15k BTU units, and were they an easy drop-in replacement? Ditto to Joe about the condensate drain issues.

I don't see any noise/sound decibel specs offhand in the mfg. literature, and am wondering if you can quantify the noise reductions you mention?

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ.../blizzard-nxt/

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...-Web_32008.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAZRK2690 View Post
Although my AS is not ducted, after installing the new Dometic Blizzard NXT air conditioner and two months experience with using them (FR. & R.) I can report that there's no compressor noise inside the AS at all, only air flow through the newly designed interior ceiling air box. The H, M, L & Auto fan speeds work the same as the Penguin I & II. The units run so cold that my 34' cools with just one, either F or R, unit running in 95 degree direct sun on the roof. On the medium and low speeds, they make about the same amount of air noise as a Fantastic Fan set to low. On high speed fan, they are about the same noise level as the Fantastic Fan on high speed. I've got no idea when the auto fan kicks on and off during the day or night. On the low setting, during the day, the unit trolls along quietly enough that it offers no distraction. Very happy with them so far.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #1106
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
jpons, I didn't want to hijack the other thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...01729-293.html post 4094

so thought I'd forward it here. Since the dupe at the TV is is 110, did you pull a new 12v circuit up & near the existing 110V via behind he refer?

also I assume there isn't a performance difference between 12v & 110V?

Bob
Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 AM   #1107
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I am also curious about the power source. Does your 2008 Safari have 12-volt power back there? I seem to recall that older AS did have a few outlets for DC battery power here and there.

Our 2014 of course does have an outlet there for the inverter's 120-volt power, but no 12-volt. On a recent trip we were amazed at how many stations still broadcast over the air, and our television received the High Def signal just fine for many stations, including PBS on one or two channels! Do you also have an inverter?

Hope your summer is going well!

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I just got this 22" High Definition AC/DC TV to replace the one that came with my 20 footer. I am not sure why Airstream would install an AC only TV.

Here is the Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We very rarely watch TV, but with Murphys law in full effect, every time was have wanted to watch something we did not have AC power. Just a few days ago I found this model for $135 on Amazon and installed it today and works perfectly. We could have gone with a larger model as I am sure that at least the 24 inch and maybe the 32 inch would fit. But for the occasional times we use it the 22" is fine.

As a side bonus, this unit only weighs in at 4.5 lbs vs. the 11 lbs of the original Samsung. 6.5 lbs is not much but I bet the strain on the mounting arm is greatly diminished. The only issue I had mounting this is that I needed to use shorter screws to mount the TV to the arm as the ones that were holding the old TV were too long. Other than that, very happy.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #1108
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Yes my 2008 20" Safari SE has both 12v and 110 right behind the TV. I tested both power sources and they both performed the same so I am only using the 12v plug. Also when off the TV only draws about 0.1 amps as tested by my Trimetric. Since we use the TV so seldomly it is unplugged 99.99% of the time.

Here is a pic.

Does the 20" FC not have the 12v outlet there or by the bed? Did I find the ONE advantage the Safari SE has over the FC?

-J

Quote:
jpons, I didn't want to hijack the other thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...01729-293.html post 4094

so thought I'd forward it here. Since the dupe at the TV is is 110, did you pull a new 12v circuit up & near the existing 110V via behind he refer?

also I assume there isn't a performance difference between 12v & 110V?

Bob
AND

Quote:
I am also curious about the power source. Does your 2008 Safari have 12-volt power back there? I seem to recall that older AS did have a few outlets for DC battery power here and there.

Our 2014 of course does have an outlet there for the inverter's 120-volt power, but no 12-volt. On a recent trip we were amazed at how many stations still broadcast over the air, and our television received the High Def signal just fine for many stations, including PBS on one or two channels! Do you also have an inverter?

Hope your summer is going well!

Thanks,

Peter
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #1109
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Does the 20" FC not have the 12v outlet there or by the bed? Did I find the ONE advantage the Safari SE has over the FC?
-J
. . .
Looks like it, Jay! But not sure it is the only one . . .

I wish we had more 12v outlets here and there, like our 25' in the 90's. Do you have any in the galley or head?

So many appliances from the boating world are available in 12v, that keeping an Airstream oriented to include 12v makes so much sense, what with the advent of good solar systems, and small gens like our new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel. Steve's remote solar charger is another option to keep the batteries up if there is no roof solar.

Sure we have the inverter, but there must be some inefficiency in going from 110v charging -- to 12v batteries -- then back to 120v via the inverter.

I did discover another 12v outlet next to the radio, so charging cell phones etc. is easier via a USB cord. Two nearly dead iPhones and one iPad Mini did seem to make a dent in the battery voltage however a couple of weeks ago.

Great post from Cape Breton BTW! Nice to see a real fire pit on the ground . . . How did the composting toilet work out ?

Thanks and welcome back!

Peter
Old 07-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #1110
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Looking at a puppy today

Bob
Rooney is pretty cute Bob and Myrna!

So sorry for your loss of Gracie in San Diego, and for Steve's recent loss of Oliver . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ld-153760.html

Peter
Old 07-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #1111
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have a total of 3 12v outlets. One by the TV, one by what is supposed to be the foot of the bed (there is a coax outlet and 110v there so I presume it's for a TV) and one by the radio.

None in the bathroom or galley.

Inverters are pretty inefficient from what I understand, plus most electronics run on DC anyways, doing the DC -> AC -> DC conversion is VERY wasteful. We try very hard no to get anything that is AC for the Airstream and use DC whenever possible.

The only appliances we have that are AC are the microwave, a toaster, hair dryer and curling iron.

I have even tried to get my girlfriend to use the little 12v hairdryer I got her, but she only uses it on an emergency basis. When boondocking I find myself having to run up the 2000is Yamaha generator for a few minutes every morning for the hair dryer. I have a cheap small inverter (modified wave) that will run her curling iron, and on rare occasions will use the toaster and the microwave, although I can only use the micro on 50% power, but that is usually enough.

For the iPhones and iPads we use a very good 3 outlet USB charger from Anker that charges quickly from the 12v outlet by the radio. Charging an iPad takes about 1.2 amps. Not much at all.

I would love to run everything on DC.

Just got back today from our trip to Cape Breton, still have many images to process and will do so over the next few days.

We did put the composting through the fire test and have a bit to say about it. Will write up a post in the next few days with my thoughts and experience.

-J

Quote:
Looks like it, Jay! But not sure it is the only one . . .

I wish we had more 12v outlets here and there, like our 25' in the 90's. Do you have any in the galley or head?

So many appliances from the boating world are available in 12v, that keeping an Airstream oriented to include 12v makes so much sense, what with the advent of good solar systems, and small gens like our new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel. Steve's remote solar charger is another option to keep the batteries up if there is no roof solar.

Sure we have the inverter, but there must be some inefficiency in going from 110v charging -- to 12v batteries -- then back to 120v via the inverter.

I did discover another 12v outlet next to the radio, so charging cell phones etc. is easier via a USB cord. Two nearly dead iPhones and one iPad Mini did seem to make a dent in the battery voltage however a couple of weeks ago.

Great post from Cape Breton BTW! Nice to see a real fire pit on the ground . . . How did the composting toilet work out ?

Thanks and welcome back!

Peter
Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #1112
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I have a total of 3 12v outlets. One by the TV, one by what is supposed to be the foot of the bed (there is a coax outlet and 110v there so I presume it's for a TV) and one by the radio.

None in the bathroom or galley.

Inverters are pretty inefficient from what I understand, plus most electronics run on DC anyways, doing the DC -> AC -> DC conversion is VERY wasteful. We try very hard no to get anything that is AC for the Airstream and use DC whenever possible.

The only appliances we have that are AC are the microwave, a toaster, hair dryer and curling iron.

I have even tried to get my girlfriend to use the little 12v hairdryer I got her, but she only uses it on an emergency basis. When boondocking I find myself having to run up the 2000is Yamaha generator for a few minutes every morning for the hair dryer. I have a cheap small inverter (modified wave) that will run her curling iron, and on rare occasions will use the toaster and the microwave, although I can only use the micro on 50% power, but that is usually enough.

For the iPhones and iPads we use a very good 3 outlet USB charger from Anker that charges quickly from the 12v outlet by the radio. Charging an iPad takes about 1.2 amps. Not much at all.

I would love to run everything on DC.

Just got back today from our trip to Cape Breton, still have many images to process and will do so over the next few days.

We did put the composting through the fire test and have a bit to say about it. Will write up a post in the next few days with my thoughts and experience.

-J
Juan thanks. I'll confirm but expect the only 12v outlet like in Peter's, is by the radio in the cabinet.. However just inches to pull for the future bedroom TV.

My first reaction was WOW..12 volt. The light went off and I tried a music CD in our small 110 Toshiba (with a dvd player) in our bedroom. Viola...music. We like to listen to Hawaiian music when we're going to sleep..and the CD in the BR/thru the TV wasn't working as we wanted...and the mp3 player or thumb drive in the stereo.

So we thinking of a 18-20" or so with a DVD player....but I think I'm going to look for a 110/12V TV like yours, but with a DVD player. This way we don't need to add a splitter for the DVD feed to the new TV....and also don't have to mess with the %$#! (Darn) BR player.

Thanks for the tip on the bi-system.

Bob
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #1113
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I believe that if you follow the link I gave for the TV they have an option for one with a built in DVD player.

-J

Quote:
Juan thanks.
So we thinking of a 18-20" or so with a DVD player....but I think I'm going to look for a 110/12V TV like yours, but with a DVD player. This way we don't need to add a splitter for the DVD feed to the new TV....and also don't have to mess with the %$#! (Darn) BR player.

Thanks for the tip on the bi-system.

Bob
Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #1114
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I believe that if you follow the link I gave for the TV they have an option for one with a built in DVD player.

-J

J thanks. Yes...I've been looking around online today both dual/ straight 110V as well as LED/LCD. Also an education too.

I finally noticed at your link, it opted for the either the HDTV or HDTV+DVD. I was focused on the screen size options and went straight to the reviews...totally missed the DVD option...duh. We're thinking for the bedroom the 19 may be a better fit. I think this week I'll pull out the stereo a few inches to inspect the birds nest as it would, be nice to have a 12V on the TV side of the wall. You're right about the weight too. That model and the LED style....like adding another pillow to the tongue weight.

About the only neg on the reviews was the sound/speakers. The 20's are pretty small and I'm thinking it may be NA for this application.

I wasn't looking closely at the swing arm but didn't notice on similar to our OEM with the release pin. I'll look at he on in the trailer for the mf'r and poke around the net.

Looks like the 12v power cord adapter for the cig lighter comes with it too.

Thanks for the link and feedback.

bob
Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #1115
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hey 20 Footers....I am coming out of hiding after being underground since the trip on the 4th of July. As you may know, Oliver, my beloved dog succumbed to a horrible disease (IMHA) this past week. He got sick while we were on the 4th of July trip and it killed him in a week and half. You can google IMHA if you are curious about it. Apparently it is growing and lots of dogs are sick with it.

Peter....I owe you some measurements. I promise I will get them and post them in the next few days.

I wanted to update you all on the radio challenge I am having and what's being done. Our Denver Airstream dealer isn't the easiest to work with and they are not good at returning calls or answering e-mails. My understanding is that they are backed up until late September for service. They also expect us to leave our Airstream, unprotected, on a frontage road near the dealership.....not going to do that.

Next week I will be traveling to Tucson to Lazy Days where I bought the Airstream. They are amazing with their customer service and have agreed to get me in for a punch list of warranty items, including the non-working radio. If the radio is dead, they will need to get one from Airstream directly. My hunch is that is what will need to be done. It doesn't even light up. I called Airstream corporate this morning and they have agreed to overnight a radio to Lazy Days if it needs to be replaced. Now.....that's what I call good customer service!

While the Airstream is at Lazy Days, I will travel over to El Paso and pick up my new puppy. Nothing can replace Oliver or his father Vegas (who died the week before Oliver) but I need the love of a dog in my life.

I will keep you all updated.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #1116
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve no rush. With so many wanting a new radio, we should start a new thread, or tap into an existing one, to locate the most user-friendly unit possible IMO, with as many features as makes sense. Funny -- right now I am sitting in the trailer listening to the radio, from which I always remove the (auto) faceplate to kill the electrical draw and disco light show! The little remote control is one necessary feature IMO.

When I get back home I will check out radio threads or start one. Another issue is an XM satellite radio receiver, and there are existing threads for these. Call me old fashioned, but I like NOT having XM in the trailer. We also have a portable radio with batteries which we plan to upgrade to a Sony international unit someday.

Later . . .

Peter

PS best wishes for the new pup!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #1117
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Hey 20 Footers....

While the Airstream is at Lazy Days, I will travel over to El Paso and pick up my new puppy. Nothing can replace Oliver or his father Vegas (who died the week before Oliver) but I need the love of a dog in my life.

I will keep you all updated.
Steve
your new pooch is one lucky dog. We all are the better for their love.

Bob
Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #1118
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Peter and Bob....

Here is a pic of the little fella that I am going to get. He will be four months old on August 1. You can see he isn't too happy in this photo...the other dogs are outside and he had to come in for his "photo Op"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hector.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	267409  
Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #1119
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cute! A Springer Spaniel, or something close? I knew a "Bo" of that breed many moons ago . . .

Have fun!
Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #1120
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
He is an English Springer Spaniel and is the grandson of the first dog that passed away three weeks ago and the nephew of the dog that passed away last week. We have named him Hector