Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #981
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
That's my kind of campsite but, it does look cold. Hope you'll be able to have your Airstream's issues fixed.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #982
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thank you Subfan....it is a little cooler at this altitude. I put on a jacket outside. It's overcast this morning. Looks like it might rain this afternoon.

If anyone on the forum has suggestions regarding the following, I would be appreciative:

There is an extra inverter outlet in the middle cabinet above the dinette. There is also a regular outlet there. The radio and DVD player are in the cabinet next to it. When I plug into the inverter outlet, nothing happens. I have checked the fuses and everything looks ok there. Any ideas on how to get that circuit going? I can't find a switch anywhere.

Also, in our model, does the television work on 12 volt (inverter plug in)? The owners manual suggests that it would work but I can't get that to work either, although, the inverter outlet that it plugs into is working fine.

Sure is fun figuring all this out
Old 05-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #983
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In our 2014 there is a separate master inverter switch above the cook top to the right, near the voltage/tank/water pump monitor/control panel.

I still think your Clarion stereo/radio receiver is a 12-volt unit and should not need to be plugged in IMO.

Our TV over the fridge does have a power cord exiting the cabinet which needs to be plugged in to one of the 120-volt outlets (inverter/shore power). Plus our antenna needs the booster turned on there as well, but this may not apply to your 2016.

PS -- edit -- on p. 5-10 of the 2016 FC owner's manual, it describes the Inverter system incl. switch location:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ying-Cloud.pdf

[p. 40/112 of the PDF]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #984
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
There is an extra inverter outlet in the middle cabinet above the dinette. There is also a regular outlet there. The radio and DVD player are in the cabinet next to it. When I plug into the inverter outlet, nothing happens. I have checked the fuses and everything looks ok there. Any ideas on how to get that circuit going? I can't find a switch anywhere.

Also, in our model, does the television work on 12 volt (inverter plug in)?
From our pre purchase inspection (I haven't tried it yet to personally verify) the inverter outlet in the middle cabinet, above the dinette, is for the the Blu-Ray player. It'd make sense as it's a standard Samsung home theater use that it wouldn't run on 12v. The inverter outlet next to the television is for the television.

Again, I haven't personally verified either of these two by trying it out.
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #985
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Trip update:

Spent the night just outside of the eastern entrance of Glacier National Park, my wife's favorite, and would definitely recommend it. Johnson's of St Marys, Montana was the name of the RV park. Full hook ups and a great view. When I get to some more reliable internet in Seattle at the in laws I'll post some pictures.

Tonight we're camped in Missoula, Montana and my wife is showing me around her college town. Had some great pizza at McKenzie River Pizza Co (and a few beers!) and then huckleberry ice cream at The Big Dipper. I would highly recommend both!

Tomorrow will bring Couer D'Alene (sp?) and then on to Seattle!
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #986
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, that is a beautiful area! Big Sky country. Looking forward to the photos.

Did you get that fan noise under control, or maybe you will stop by the dealer in the Seattle area?

Curious about your route north from Seattle -- are you planning on going through Prince George BC to Dawson Creek?

Have fun!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #987
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Bob
Have a great trip north. One of the new GC learned the word "orca" as one of his first words, so that area has a new resonance for us. Hope to get there some day.

Happy Trails!

Peter

Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 AM   #988
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for all the input on the inverter outlet etc... issue I was discussing this weekend. When I got home, I tested the outlets (regular and inverter in the cabinet above the dinette) and found that they are both fine. The Clarion receiver is completely dead for some reason.

I took out the screws on the face plate so I could see behind it and there are literally 50 or more wires back there all in a tangle. So....I guess I have a warranty item to report.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #989
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have a great trip north. One of the new GC learned the word "orca" as one of his first words, so that area has a new resonance for us. Hope to get there some day.

Happy Trails!

Peter

Thanks It's getting close now. Good to hear the adventurer genes are surfacing in the GC's

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #990
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Air Conditioner Follow-up

Following up on our air conditioner, in light of the many comments on other threads about our smaller Dometic A/C failing at a rate above average --

I just tested our output air temp vs. the intake return air, and there is a drop of 25 F, which is good. Today is fairly cool and dry, so I did not bother running the unit long enough to generate condensate water, which should appear near the street-side tire. TBD later this summer.

Happy Trails for a great trip, Bob.

Peter
Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #991
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Dang it.....let's try the photo again.
Steve, I agree with others. This looks like a great area and campground.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #992
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

Happy Trails for a great trip, Bob.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Were excited and the owner/operators/managers of the site have been great to work with. We found this on Campendium.

http://privatecamping.net/?page_id=2465

They're on site before and after our resie in their FC'19, so it should be all warmed up . We thinking we'll have a great "pic from the front door" to post!

We have stops in Olympia and Anacortes then 3 nights on Orcas, then back track to EUG.

I've been dealing with JC & Barker (the mf'r) on the tongue jack and after this trip, the dealer will remove the head and send it to Barker to repair the inoperative "silent shutoff by use of limit switches". I'm also ordering the OEM post plate and collar as the aftermarket collar is slightly lower and I don't want any issues with the re-sequencing ( instructions sent earlier ).

So, just a heads up for all who have Barker tongue jack, the post plate is held on by a bolt/lock washer up from the bottom. Mine fell off on the freeway during our maiden voyage. To be honest, it never occurred to me that I needed to pay attention to this bolt, much less two weeks out, or even that it was there. I'm used to seeing a cotter pin which was the method for my aftermarket replacement plate.

BTW, JC and Barker Mf'g have been great to work with.

Bob
Old 06-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #993
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An amazing campsite Bob! Interesting video and approach instructions.

And thanks for the reminder to check the plate bolt on the bottom of our jack post next time we are hitched up.

Have fun!

Peter
Old 06-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #994
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Ditto on the plate bolt, thanks for the tip. Going to spend a week at the beach next week and will check it on Sunday prior to departure.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #995
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Thanks Peter. Were excited and the owner/operators/managers of the site have been great to work with. We found this on Campendium.

http://privatecamping.net/?page_id=2465

They're on site before and after our resie in their FC'19, so it should be all warmed up . We thinking we'll have a great "pic from the front door" to post!
VERY Nice!!!
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #996
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
..... Going to spend a week at the beach next week and will check it on Sunday prior to departure.

Jose, are you headed to SD North County? We loved the view of Catalina from Crystal Cove but not so much the surrounding areas. San Clemente SB and a couple in the Encinitas/Solana Beach have that "beachy" feel with lots of small restaurants and surf shops that we love. Also with the dogs, we were a bit limited where we could go.

Have a great time..maybe some pics?

Bob
Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #997
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thanks Bob, we will have a good time. This time we are staying beach front at Doheny SB. I'll post a picture so you can see the site.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:59 AM   #998
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks waldosgone for the update on your other thread. As we and maybe others have been considering the Progressive 4655 upgrade, it will be good to see how your situation resolves.

Hope this doesn't disturb the Chinook wind blowing northward . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
All,

Some follow up for all those who are interested:

1. I contacted Progressive Dynamics and they are forwarding a new unit to me so I can swap out the old one. They were very accomodating and their service department seems to think it's a bad transformer.

2. When I talked to their service department based on the light on the circuit board my charge wizard may not have been coming out of bulk charge. This contributed, IMO, to both of my batteries boiling over. I came home to the rotten egg smell and once I got near the battery box I knew what had happened. This accelerated my timeline to get 2x 6v batteries installed. I'm having the battery box modified and won't hook the new batteries up until I swap the charge controller.

I'll let you know as I find out more.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #999
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks waldosgone for the update on your other thread. As we and maybe others have been considering the Progressive 4655 upgrade, it will be good to see how your situation resolves.

Hope this doesn't disturb the Chinook wind blowing northward . . . .

waldosgone I look forward to seeing pics on the box mods when you have time. This is something that has been in the back of my head since reading IRDOBA's post/pics. Still on the fence with the progressive upgrade.

Travel safe

Bob
Old 06-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #1000
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi all we made it to Doheny SB and noticed a high tide right away. They made a berm to prevent flooding at the campsites. Will be here for the week, come on by for a cold one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1465164271.353422.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	263902