Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #941
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The hose clamp shot did not stick before. At the top right, the street-side horizontal drain hose from one of the condensate pans is visible coiming in from above the interior aluminum skin.

Now waiting fro delivery of an adapter to convert the generator's 120v 30A female twist outlet to a 30A female welder's outlet to match the trailer's OEM cord male end.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 AC B 23 MAY 2016.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	263058  
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #942
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Solar Panel Test

So....this weekend I tested my new solar panels out. It's a portable unit that stands on the ground and has adjustable legs. http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-M...ilpage_o02_s00

I am very impressed with how it worked. It charged even in a shady area without direct sunlight. The Airstream batteries were fully charged in about two hours (we have intense sunlight in Colorado!!). The unit folds up and stores in it's own case and only weighs about 26 pounds. Thought I would share it with you folks. I am boondocking this coming weekend and wanted to be prepared, thus the test this weekend.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #943
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve good to know about this 100 watt unit on sale at Amazon for $250.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #944
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve...sweet set up. thanks for sharing

bob

p.s Do you just clip to the batt's?
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #945
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter re #906 I picked up on that the first trip…everyone had some sort of filter. We use the camco 40045 2 pack with the flex connection from Walley’s and the SHURflo 94-009-50 Universal Premium Filter Kit. I haven’t replaced the latter and am thinking of eliminating this as it seems more for taste than sediment. We cook & drink with bottled water usually the 2.5 gallon jugs. I do turn off the CW when gone and will probably carry that strategy at night now that the pump is a bit quieter.

Out FW petcock seems to have some blockage 0 deg/south is open, 90 deg (east) is closed and I believe 180 deg (n) should be open…mine drips. It’s still functional but I like Roberts plan as a winter project. I agree, behind door #3 appears to be not consistently determined.

Everyone: To confirm: Is 0/180 open and 90 closed on yours. I’ve never seen one otherwise. The dealer is now saying 90 & 180 is closed. That’s not how I remember it.

Re: # 937 The reference for dealers in Seattle, was re the Jack. I got hung up today and called Barker after 2 (5pm EST) but noticed the manual and brochure do reference… “it’s design includes a silent shutoff by use off limit switches”. If that’s the case why did the gars jamb as indicated by the dealer? The dealer at walk thru indicated the stops as such but after this work said no…that’s why it jammed.

[Are you able to run your A/C with the drain line exposed? That is what I want to see -- is the drain backing up from a kink down the line maybe? Is that back-pressure causing a leak? Why does teagues's fix work at all? Want to see mine in person if possible before replacing the cover] I don’t have shore power in storage but will try in Orcas.

Thanks or the head up on the clamp. I’m thinking there is more room to fight the clam that pulling the tubing off and not affecting the rest of the T connections. Worse case I’ll wrap a wire around it that I can twist tight, after all it’s not under upstream pressure. Thanks too for the head’s p on the crews. Mine backed right out, but we’ll see on the inbound.

When I was looking at this the other day I meant to check out the cond pans so I could utilize Teagues approach {..and I'm betting that you could rig up a squeeze bottle to just pump water up into the condensate pan, eliminating the need to use the compressor at all…} Thanks for dry run (ICON) on the cond pans. Like you I wish I could run it before I re-install. I dropped mine at removal (thinking it was going to swing down at the opposite end like the manual leads one to believe following the reverse of install vs drop like a Currey tres from downtown…nothing but net) and had to Rube Goldberg the vent flap at the end : ((((

The drain looks just like ours, about 2” exposed…wish I had a bug guard like the one for the refer. I may look around for one…also for the LP Drains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1008 (Small).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	263082  
Old 05-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #946
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Fresh water tank drain handle points forward when closed ["0" here -- see below]. When turned 180 it is open fully, and pointing to the rear of the trailer. 90 not important IMO.

I ran the A/C for a while on gen power, but it is so dry today that no condensate was generated. Now that there is a clamp on the main drain tube, I will probably button this up and assume there will be no leaks. TBD under really hot humid conditions later this summer. Good to get the larger Honda up to the house, exercise it, and use up most of the old gas. Will keep new 30A twist adapter in the trailer for future use on the road again . . .

Yes, I almost dropped the forward end of the lower A/C case, but caught it just in time. The Dometic manual does give the impression it would be held up by clips of some sort at that end. They probably have a more detailed manual for shops, showing how to remove the thing without damage? Or maybe they hope everyone will break something and have to order new parts?

teagues apparently has a different A/C so I am not going to monkey around with trying to get water in the condensate pan(s). Know the lay of the land now, future leaks if any will be dealt with as needed.

I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend.

Drive safe . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC20 tank drain 23 MAY 2016.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	263084  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #947
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Fresh water tank drain handle points forward when closed ["0" here -- see below]. When turned 180 it is open fully, and pointing to the rear of the trailer. 90 not important IMO.

I ran the A/C for a while on gen power, but it is so dry today that no condensate was generated. Now that there is a clamp on the main drain tube, I will probably button this up and assume there will be no leaks. TBD under really hot humid conditions later this summer. Good to get the larger Honda up to the house, exercise it, and use up most of the old gas. Will keep new 30A twist adapter in the trailer for future use on the road again . . .

Yes, I almost dropped the forward end of the lower A/C case, but caught it just in time. The Dometic manual does give the impression it would be held up by clips of some sort at that end. They probably have a more detailed manual for shops, showing how to remove the thing without damage? Or maybe they hope everyone will break something and have to order new parts?

teagues apparently has a different A/C so I am not going to monkey around with trying to get water in the condensate pan(s). Know the lay of the land now, future leaks if any will be dealt with as needed.

I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend.

Drive safe . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Thanks Peter. I have a slow drip in your closed position (left) but no drip in the 90 (perpendicular) 180 open works fine. I'll work on it and maybe try some air. At least the 90 is my safe harbor.

Good plan for the AC...maybe nose up ever so slightly as Teagues suggested, a least that's my plan. I'll find out in Missouri this Sept/Cct . I was going to button mine up tomorrow. Still pissed about the damage but have moved on from the RG repairs. All should be fine and only visual from the inside of the cover.

Walking the dog this afternoon I was thinking about how I could push some water back up to the T and cork the bottom. Sorta like a plumbers head test....check it in the am, but I haven't figured how to get the eater up under very low pressure and stop it in an instant @ the T.

Thanks. We're heading to Manzanata but will come back Sunday ahead of the crazies hopefully.

Safe journey everyone.

Thank you to all who are now and have served and protected our country.

Bob
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #948
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Steve...sweet set up. thanks for sharing

bob

p.s Do you just clip to the batt's?
Got it. Thanks for the link.

b
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 AM   #949
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
I did not catch on that you we're not actually experiencing leaks from the AC into the cabin. Of course you would not want to troubleshoot as I described to find the source of a problem that does not currently exist.

The specific air conditioner that Airstream installed, though, probably matters less than the routing of the condensate drain line.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #950
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, my proactive A/C R&D was based on the clear report by CanonFan in that other thread that "his" 2016 FC20 was leaking and missing a clamp -- exactly where mine was also missing a clamp, it turns out! -- when his dealer was doing the run-through of all systems before he (almost) bought the unit. [see Post #907 here]

Glad I took the time to check! The missing clamp may conform to factory specs, and CanonFan's leak may have had other causes [blockage in drain tube downstream?], but the exploratory surgery was a good investment, plus our tubing is now clamped at the T.

"Measure thrice, cut once . . . "

Thanks again for your feedback.

Peter

Old 05-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #951
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Yes, my proactive A/C R&D was based on the clear report by CanonFan in that other thread that "his" 2016 FC20 was leaking and missing a clamp -- exactly where mine was also missing a clamp, it turns out! -- when his dealer was doing the run-through of all systems before he (almost) bought the unit. [see Post #907 here]

Glad I took the time to check! The missing clamp may conform to factory specs, and CanonFan's leak may have had other causes [blockage in drain tube downstream?], but the exploratory surgery was a good investment, plus our tubing is now clamped at the T.

"Measure thrice, cut once . . . "

Thanks again for your feedback.

Peter

10-4. Adding that clamp sure seems like a no-brainer.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #952
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
CruizinDux...The solar charges comes with clips that attach to the batteries. They are about 10 feet long, so, there is some flexibility in being able to move them around during the day to maximize the benefits from the moving sun.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #953
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
CruizinDux...The solar charges comes with clips that attach to the batteries. They are about 10 feet long, so, there is some flexibility in being able to move them around during the day to maximize the benefits from the moving sun.

Steve, thanks. That seem a very reasonable length.

Bob
Old 05-25-2016, 06:28 AM   #954
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
For anyone that has installed a Progressive Dynamics charger (PD4655) does it sound like an old computer hard drive? I can't really tie it to a fan turning on or off...
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #955
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The fridge fan maybe? If so details on replacing are here and elsewhere. Trip going OK?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #956
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Mine is completely silent 99% of the time. There have been a few times where we hear a fan, and if I remember correctly this was when bulk charging the batteries after being nearly depleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
For anyone that has installed a Progressive Dynamics charger (PD4655) does it sound like an old computer hard drive? I can't really tie it to a fan turning on or off...
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #957
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
The fridge fan maybe? If so details on replacing are here and elsewhere. Trip going OK?
I didn't think of the fridge fan. I'll check that next.

The trip is going wonderfully; the alternator broke on my 10 year old 4 runner the first day so I got a new alternator...attached to a 2016 Tundra. The 4Runner was a great SUV for ten years but you could definitely tell the trailer was back there and I wasn't impressed with it's towing abilities in the small foothills in Missouri. Coincidentally, we broke down in the same town we bought Chinook.

We stopped at the Airstream factory but didn't know it closed at 4.... So we just swung through the lobby. Picked up a sticker and a photograph of Chinook with the plant in the background.

More to follow...

Once I get to some reliable wifi I'll post some pictures. The 16" Michelins (and their ability to go above 65 MPH) have been a great adjustment.
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #958
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Natures Head Installation on 20 footer

Folks,

Some of you may recall that I had asked if anyone here had installed a Natures Head composting toilet installation on their 20 footer, and all I heard was crickets. So I surmised that no one had done so.

I've decided to do it and I have been taking photos along the way in the hope that this will help some of you in the future.

One of the disadvantages we have as 20 footer owners is that our Black water tank is wholly inside out trailers and as such we have a substantial pedestal upon which out toilets are installed. The reason for the pedestal is to house, at least partially, the black water tank.

Most of the other Airstream installations I have seen have been pretty straightforward because they had simply been able to remove the existing toilet, cap the waste hole and then install the new composting toilet right over the waste hole. This is certainly doable on the 20 footers also, but this will result in a VERY tall toilet seat, so much so that the toilet seat will be at the same level as the bathroom counter top. I've posted some pictures below to show what that looks like.

This will necessitate the use of some sort of step stool in order to both get up on the toilet and to prevent your feet from dangling.

While this is doable, in my opinion this is not really an acceptable solution.

So I've embarked on removing the pedestal and black water tank from my 20 footer in order to install my composting toilet at a normal height.

Before I go any further, I just want to let you know that I have not yet completed that process. Removing the black water tank and pedestal is no trivial piece of work. As this point, because I have an upcoming trip, I am going to temporarily install the toilet on top of the existing pedestal, and then probably next week tackle the removal of the pedestal and black tank.

Here are some pictures of the process so far:

Here is the original Toilet

Here is the water connection to the toilet as well as the vent for the black water tank

Another View of the water connection. i used a pex tube cutter to cut the water line going to the toilet. Make sure you have plenty of rags to soak up the water you will have coming out of the hose. No matter how much I drained the lines, I still had quite a bit of water come out.

Removing the toilet was very easy, just unscrew the two nuts on the side of the bowl and remove. This exposes the toilet flange.

Removing the toilet flange was a royal pain, once I was able to remove it I realized why. The flange was a extension that then screws on the top of the black water tank and when this was installed they put some sealant around the area where the flange screws to the tank. I was able to unscrew the flange by first using a hammer and a nail set tool (using the blunt side on the plastic) to nudge the flange somewhat loose. This was VERY slow going. Notice the rag I placed in the hole to prevent the black tank smell from over powering me. I did clean out the tank as well as I could, but there was still quite a power aroma emanating from the tank.

To speed up the process I then placed the back the screws that are used to hold the toilet in place and used the handle of the hammer to continue unscrewing the flange. The sealant had a very tight hold on the flange.

Finally got the flange out, you can see the tank here with the opening.

Put a 3" plug on the black tank.

Next I put a pex cap on the line that was feeding the old toilet. Working with pex is typically easy, especially compared with copper or PVC, but working with pex in tight spaces is truly challenging as the pex compression tool handles spread out pretty far.

Next I am going to saw the black water vent pipe and I am going to attach this barbed connector to the vent pipe going to the roof, and the vent tube coming from the composting toilet will connect to the barbed end of this.

Here are 3 views of the composting toilet resting on top of the pedestal. The toilet is not attached yet, but you can see how high this toilet will end up if you simply install it on top of the pedestal.

The installation of the toilet on the pedestal is temporary. We are headed out this weekend and need a working toilet. Next week (or later depending on how soon I can schedule the woodwork that will need to be done, more on this below), I am going to hack into the pedestal. Despite trying to figure out a way to remove the pedestal while keeping it intact, I have not been able to figure out how to do that. Seems impossible to do. I can't even figure out how they installed this unless they installed it BEFORE the shell which seems just as impossible. So I will have to hack it off. Then go about removing the black tank.

Despite the fact that the black tank goes under the shower, I am pretty confident that I will be able to pull it out. The tank does not seem to be attached to anything other than the drain pipe, the vent pipe and the flange pipe, so right now I can move it quite a bit. If for some reason I am not able to simply pull it out, I am going to have to hack into it and take it out in pieces. I am very much hoping to avoid this as I am sure this will be very unpleasant. I am going to do one more black tank rinse using bleach this time to get it as clean as I can in case I do need to hack into it.

After the tank is removed, I will need to have a new pedestal/base made and installed. I am currently talking to a few finish carpenters & cabinet makers to see what they can do for me. I want it to look good. In addition to a new pedestal/base, they will have to also create something on both sides of the toilet make it all look finished. I plan on working a bit on the little mess if pex piping and vent pipe on the back right to eliminate the chintzy aluminum panel that was originally there covering the vent pipe and more.

I am really hoping that whomever I get to do this work can do it quickly, as I don't want to be without the trailer for too long.

I will follow up with more posts on the progress, both in removing the black water tank and the finished woodwork.

Hope this is of interest to some of you, and feel free to ask any questions.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #959
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for this post! Very informative. I had considered installing a Nature's Head in my old airstream and was impressed with the reviews. I will follow your project with interest.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #960
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks J for the update. You have temporarily taken the use of the word "Throne" to a hole new level! Hopefully no one will be walking by that little window as someone is sitting down.

If you can move the black tank around it is probably not attached under the shower, but it's bottom flange should be held down somehow IMO, maybe by some clips to which you have access?

I am pretty sure that the bathroom is assembled with the shower going in first, then the black tank and toilet, then the sink vanity, followed by the wall behind the sink, and finally the rear dinette seat (left as viewed from the fridge "hall").

My logic stems from the buried location, under the sink counter, of the plastic vacuum breaker in the black water back flush system -- the one I want to upgrade to the brass one. I just don't see any way to make the swap other than to remove the dinette seat and the sink vanity case and counter. Next fall or winter!

You are a brave soul to start this project now !!!