Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #781
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I just got a call yesterday from our local Discount Tire to let me know that the Sendel wheel I ordered is ready. I asked them to order it on 3/22, so that does suggest that there is a shortage. Good luck finding wheels before your trip.
Thanks for the information. I called our Discount Tire (luckily there are about 10 in Oklahoma City) and they didn't have any in stock but were going to call the other locations and some of the stores in Texas to see if they could get them. If we can't get the larger rims I haven't seen much on upgraded 15'' tires. Anyone upgraded their tires only?
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #782
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks to everyone again re: the valves. Arrived at the campground yesterday afternoon, filled the tank with water and everything is working well. I am using the pump for the first time as well and it doesn't seem noisy to me. I grew up camping and the sound of the pump is a "comfort" in the RV. I enjoyed reading the posts re: the thermostat in the refrigerator.....interesting way to adjust the temperature. So far, the fridge is keeping things cold just fine with the factory settings. It's cool in Colorado this morning and I used the heat pump to stay warm overnight. I am hoping to test the awning set up today. There are high winds forecasted for the afternoon, so will do that this morning. Going to test drive the shower in a few minutes.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #783
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Thanks for the information. I called our Discount Tire (luckily there are about 10 in Oklahoma City) and they didn't have any in stock but were going to call the other locations and some of the stores in Texas to see if they could get them. If we can't get the larger rims I haven't seen much on upgraded 15'' tires. Anyone upgraded their tires only?
The scuttlebutt seems to be that Michelin is moving away from the 15" to 16" in the load ratings we need [only 2 tires to carry 5000 gross weight plus margin of error]. In Post 641 I put links to a bunch of tire threads. I seem to recall the user switz and maybe idroba knowing about the 15 or 16" issues.

Good luck and thanks for any feedback on this issue. I could probably live with 15" Michelins if they are still available.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #784
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
. . . .
Going to test drive the shower in a few minutes.
Hope you are hooked up to a sewer, as our grey tanks are pretty small!

Glad you are on the road again and camping! I got my trailer up on the 6x6 pads OK, so the wheel well repair is next when it gets sunny again.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #785
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
So I just got back from buying some undercoating for the wheels wells
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461452395.174176.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	261268
The question I had Otra15, will you be covering the entire wheel well specifically the galvanized part? I want to attempt to do this tomorrow. One other note, I don't see how I can do this without removing the tire. Do you still think you can do it without removing the tires Otra15?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #786
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, subfan1, I agree that the wheels should come off to do the job right, and have the chassis elevated to spray the entire wheel well from underneath. As I think I said in an earlier post, however, I don't have time for this right now. I did get the trailer wheels up on 6x6's today, and will do the best I can to cover the exposed plywood sub-floor in the next day or two, weather permitting.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #787
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Yes you did say without removing the wheel; before I spray I'm going to lift the trailer by the "jack here point" and see if I can spray the well completely.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #788
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I'm hoping I won't have to remove the wheel.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #789
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes you did say without removing the wheel; before I spray I'm going to lift the trailer by the "jack here point" and see if I can spray the well completely.
If you do this, and end up removing one tire at a time, please consider adding some safety blocking just under the bare wheel hub and/or axle (non load bearing) in case the jack fails.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #790
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter and Jose, since you two are in the lead on the wheel well/sheet metal project, I'm hoping to see some progress pics and maybe comments re tire removal or lack thereof. There wasn't much room for a camera, so it will be interesting how the spray can fits.

Like Peter said, please work safe.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #791
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
On the pump noise -- ...Not a diaphragm pump, but a variable speed screw-feed pump (if I have the terminology right). A lower GPM flow rate would be OK too.

.... but will have to make sure the pump room space under the blankets does not get too hot with the pump running in the summer.
Thanks, Peter. Good discussion and analysis. If I hit the sound wall, VS is the way to go. Can't be that pricey and should be an easy swap.

Bob
Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #792
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Bob, our Dometic fridge has the sliding "thermistor" (?) shown below, which can be slid up and down on the right fin. There is a blue triangular arrow/play symbol on the right side of the case (and looks like a hint of blue mark near the top of the slide?). This is the way it came from the factory, and the various threads here which mention this seem to agree +/- that it should be on the right fin. I did try sliding it up and down last fall, but don't recall any firm conclusions.

One thread about slide adjusting up for colder etc. :

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...nt-147010.html

We have accurate Taylor thermometers in the fridge and freezer at all times, as I have found that looking at them often is advisable, both at home and in the trailer.

I just turned the fridge on and will check back tomorrow. I put two large blocks of blue ice in there also, as it helps lower the temp more quickly. Also, I have read that one should never put warm items in the fridge. We pre-cool all beverages etc. in the tow vehicle's ice chest first. If needed in hot weather, I may even add a bag of ice to the fridge, as you seem to have done.

Once the fridge is at temperature and stable, it can take 24 hours for the system to stabilize again after moving the thermistor apparently. In a sense our AS Dometic fridges are more like a "keep cool" appliance than a "get it cold" unit IMO -- an acceptable compromise when backed up by a good ice chest. The next purchase for boondocking might be a Pelican or Yeti cooler for dry ice storage of frozen items.

Curious to hear how you make out on the trip, and whether you can get a handle on this temp. adjustment system.

Peter

Attachment 261201
Peter....thanks for the tread and the pic/comments. I'll read it, call Sutton on Monday and look at the refer and note the position I left it in from the maiden. It seemed to work once allowed to stabilize....just takes longer to not only cool but react to the adjustment than I had expected. I'll also look for the mark....I sure don't remember seeing it. I'll light'r up first thing Monday when I bring Blue home to load up.

Interesting other than the model number, there was hardly any mention our unit in the op manual.

I planned on the pre-cooling content which I didn't do the last time as we didn't buy groceries until we were 3 days down the road and hadn't turned it on yet.

Bob
Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #793
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Bob - I've driven the ALCAN/Cassiar highway twice and my wife has done it five times and couple words of advice.

Milepost is an invaluable tool on this trip but like any tool it's not 100% accurate...... "

If anyone has an questions I'd be happy to answer them or share our experiences along the way in a separate thread.

Jim
Jim your comments as very much appreciated.

We're hoping to make the trip but expect it may be later than planned to allow for more planning.

Safe Journey

Bob
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #794
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

Interesting other than the model number, there was hardly any mention our unit in the op manual.

Bob
In light of the Sony stereo model variance...I have a Dometic 2351...the lowest model # in the series covered by the manual

bob
Old 04-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #795
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
If you do this, and end up removing one tire at a time, please consider adding some safety blocking just under the bare wheel hub and/or axle (non load bearing) in case the jack fails.

Yes of course, safety first. I'm going to make an attempt tomorrow. Today I jacked the trailer and noticed a seam at the top of the wheel well that I'm going to get as well. I'll take some pictures and post. It was getting late in the day and didn't want to hurry but wanted to know what I was up against. Good luck tomorrow Otra15
Old 04-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #796
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Here are Youtube videos about Dometic refrigerator thermostat adjustment:

2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #797
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes of course, safety first. I'm going to make an attempt tomorrow. Today I jacked the trailer and noticed a seam at the top of the wheel well that I'm going to get as well. I'll take some pictures and post. It was getting late in the day and didn't want to hurry but wanted to know what I was up against. Good luck tomorrow Otra15
If it were me, in addition to the axle and other wheel blocking, I would also hook up the the TV, just to make sure there is no fwd/rev movement once on blocks.

Bob
Old 04-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #798
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Well it didn't go so great. I would not recommend the undercoating for this job. I think the gaps are just too big on our trailer. The spray was too hard to control in terms if knowing how much of the undercoating from the spray is coming out. I only did one side and will now wait until Otra15 completes his trailer with bed liner spray. Here are a couple of pictures:

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461523597.107079.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	261291

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461523623.751124.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	261292
Old 04-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #799
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
subfan1, I've never used this or a similar product but had in my mind more of a bed liner texture or maybe sheetrock texturing but with paint in the same can. Their website makes it sound more like a rubber like spray on membrane.

If I understand your project you wanted to seal the horizontal openings between the sheet metal and the 1/8" black steel stock, but didn't have any openings showing subfloor, is that correct?

It appears that it has a tendency to run...how long after the spray did it take to solidify? Any comments on your application would be appreciated. Did the label talk about suggested thickness?

It will be interesting to see how OTRA15's project goes.

I believe I have two very small bare spots showing sub floor. One about 1/4 X 1/2" and the other about 1/2" x 1/2". Initially I was thinking of this product to cover those gaps of sub floor and calling it good. I hadn't initially planned on sealing the 1/8 gap between the black steel and sheet metal.

However when I started looking at the gaps I started feeling...while I'm there....while I probably have the tire off... I might as well do the gaps, seams and depending on the coverage the whole wheel well.

Opening day has come and gone...time to go fishing.

Bob
Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #800
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Here are Youtube videos about Dometic refrigerator thermostat adjustment:

Marty, thanks for the links.

Seems it a little of both...move to the right if it isn't there already and up if you want it colder.

Plus in the comments section there are a lot of other useful links.

Bob