Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 AM   #621
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Thoughts; mounts on the inside of the drawer face or the inside of the panel below. I‘m not sure I understand the mechanics for the return to lock position and that concerns me. I understand the magnetic unlock function but this is based on the install of a ¾” cabinet panel. Our install with be drawer box + panel….maybe 1.25”….possibly too thick for the magnet to work ??? and that also concerns me. : ((( Needs a beta test on scrap before drilling & installing.
When you install the tot-lok, you drill a 9/32" hole from the back of the drawer front. The depth of that hole is the thickness of the drawer front minus 3/16". The lock assembly mounts in and over that hole, and they give you metal slugs to fill in the gap for thicker drawer fronts. So the thickness of the drawer front should not be a problem because the extra metal slugs will help the key's magnet field reach the lock. Getting that drill right up to 3/16" without drilling all the way through the drawer front was the real issue.

In my experience (again, I installed tot-loks in the house 9 years ago, removed them a couple of years later, and never have used them in the trailer) unlocking and opening a drawer with one of these locks is not necessarily a two-handed operation. The magnetic key should hold itself in place on the drawer front if centered right over the lock. Since you are not using these to child proof, you could just leave the key on the drawer until you are ready to hit the road.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:16 AM   #622
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Excellent points thanks. If left on the drawer front, however, the plastic "key" will stick out as you cook at the stove, but probably recessed enough due to oven door handle protruding further.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #623
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
p.p.s. just booked a couple of nights in June on Orcas Island, WA…a Campendium post http://privatecamping.net/ Interesting approach. We’ll catch the ferry in Anacortes
Cool destination! If I make it to the west coast later this year, the San Juans and other areas are definitely on the itinerary. Friends and family in both SeaTac and PDX.

Bob, do you have the Pioneer radio unit? Any ideas on turning off the light show other than to remove the face plate?

As discussed here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-148311.html

Any other 2014 owners have suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #624
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[OTRA15 Solution here needs to be KISS IMO.

This would work -- I just looked -- if a bit funky! A slide (barrel) bolt surface mounted on cabinet face frame above the upper right corner of the drawer front, just to the right of the oven door, with a basic receiving hole drilled into the top of the drawer front.

It could be a very small nickel or SS slide barrel bolt, perhaps a marine fitting, and the bolt could not vibrate loose, as the locked position is down into the drawer front. Almost invisible hidden down there not seen as you enter the trailer and look at the kitchen area. [hidden behind oven door]

For resale of trailer, remove slide bolt and fill screw holes and bolt hole with colored wood filler. Visible but minimally offensive -- at least to these eyes.

Likin' it . . .
Keep It Simple Stu . . . !
Peter
PS -- One possibility -- the 2.5" chrome one?
Barrel Bolt

Ideally a smaller one with the base plate not sticking out like that under the barrel bolt.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think this is something I want to see in person. The one in the link looks huge for a 2.5".

http://www.lookintheattic.com/dt2bbus15.html ...maybe but a better quality version. I'd toss the bottom portion and drill for the drawer hole...maybe use an electrical cap or similar as a sleeve although they're brass. That would also help from it getting beat up over time.

As for resale, like you said putty it up...but then remove the drawer face,dial the drawer face 180 (full disclosure to seller of course) and reinstall to hide the putty unless you're on your back latching the dang drawer ; )

I think I'm still going to check HD/Lowes for the mag model as it intrigues me...especially considering the resent post by UKDUDE re depth and extra magnets.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #625
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Cool destination! If I make it to the west coast later this year, the San Juans and other areas are definitely on the itinerary. Friends and family in both SeaTac and PDX.

Peter
We're excited and just added another night..to make the Ferry $ ($220 =/-est) worthwhile.

There are other state/county parks but we wanted shore power. For those of the grid, there are many other options.

Bob
Old 03-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #626
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The local hardware store with a good marine supply section had this chrome barrel bolt 2 7/8" long, which looks OK IMO, and is pretty well hidden behind the edge of the oven door. A smaller brass one might be better, but will probably take more than 10 minutes to find . . . Also this one has a small base plate which does not protrude down below the bottom of the barrel, as if it is intended for a close-in installation like this IMO.

The bolt lands pretty close to the back face of the drawer front, however, so it either needs a base plate spacer, or some reinforcement on the back of the drawer front. Drilling the correct hole for the bolt in the top edge of the drawer front will come close to blowing out its backside IMO, even with a backer piece clamped temporarily to the back while the hole is drilled.

KISS and quick. Probably gonna go for it.

Life is short . . .

Standing by the dinette looking down at the oven door and at the cabinet under the sinks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 bolt A 23 MAR 2016.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	259250

Looking at the right edge of the oven door and the new barrel bolt:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 bolt B 23 MAR 2016.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	259251
Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #627
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
"Bob, do you have the Pioneer radio unit? Any ideas on turning off the light show other than to remove the face plate?"

On our radio, we continue to press the off button until the lights go out. Pressing momentarily will only turn radio off.
Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #628
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
On our radio, we continue to press the off button until the lights go out. Pressing momentarily will only turn radio off.
Hope this helps
Thanks, but I think you have a different radio. I just went out to try your solution, and no go.

If you are interested, I just posted on that other thread, and included a download of the Pioneer user manual:

For starters, our On/Off button has the rather unusual label of "SRC" -- yup you read it right!

Got any new trips planned to the coast? Really appreciated your photos last fall.

Peter
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #629
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob, do you know Dave-Nancy from Eugene who posted in the Pioneer thread about the crazy instructions to get the display to go dark?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #630
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
"Bob, do you have the Pioneer radio unit? Any ideas on turning off the light show other than to remove the face plate?"

Hope this helps

wow, jumping back and forth is getting confusing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1766526

Subfan1

I have been using the turn off the demo method pg 42/42 of my manual (as noted below)

Interesting too, Peter and I have the same vintage, but his is MVH-X560BT and ours is DSX-S310BTX

Which model do you have...or is there a 3rd ; )

different models, same story!

bob

p.s Ah..Dave & Nancy, not irdoba, but AS friends cross-town Eugene. (from the other Pioneer post)
Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #631
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
The local hardware store with a good marine supply section had this chrome barrel bolt 2 7/8" long, which looks OK IMO, and is pretty well hidden behind the edge of the oven door. A smaller brass one might be better, but will probably take more than 10 minutes to find . . . Also this one has a small base plate which does not protrude down below the bottom of the barrel, as if it is intended for a close-in installation like this IMO.

The bolt lands pretty close to the back face of the drawer front, however, so it either needs a base plate spacer, or some reinforcement on the back of the drawer front. Drilling the correct hole for the bolt in the top edge of the drawer front will come close to blowing out its backside IMO, even with a backer piece clamped temporarily to the back while the hole is drilled.

KISS and quick. Probably gonna go for it.

Life is short . . .

Standing by the dinette looking down at the oven door and at the cabinet under the sinks:

Attachment 259250

Looking at the right edge of the oven door and the new barrel bolt:

Attachment 259251
Peter look great and well hidden. I wondered about the "The bolt lands pretty close to the back face of the drawer front" I'll let you drill first

...but agree, I think this is the track, just need to figure out the bolt hole reinforcement. Also it appears you have to screw in the SB, I was hoping to use some small thru bolts to match like with the drawer latch.

Bob
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #632
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
4 baseplate screws should be OK as long as the contents of the drawer are not allowed to slide around. The barrel bolt is just reinforcing the drawer's built-in "stop" in the slide. If the baseplate pulls out, through-bolts would be next. See Pioneer radio reply on the other thread.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #633
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Thanks, but I think you have a different radio. I just went out to try your solution, and no go.

If you are interested, I just posted on that other thread, and included a download of the Pioneer user manual:

For starters, our On/Off button has the rather unusual label of "SRC" -- yup you read it right!

Got any new trips planned to the coast? Really appreciated your photos last fall.

Peter

I should have checked before I started typing, our radio is a Sony
md # DSX S310 BTX our 20 is a 2012 built in May of 2012

We think we will go local this year. I'm thinking the eastern Sierras do some fishing and relaxing. That will be for late June through July. Also a week at Dohney SB first week in June and San Clemente SB in September. In Aug I'll spend a month in Yosemite volunteering again.
What are your plans?
Thanks....Jose
Old 03-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #634
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I should have checked before I started typing, our radio is a Sony md # DSX S310 BTX our 20 is a 2012 built in May of 2012

We think we will go local this year. I'm thinking the eastern Sierras do some fishing and relaxing. That will be for late June through July. Also a week at Dohney SB first week in June and San Clemente SB in September. In Aug I'll spend a month in Yosemite volunteering again.
What are your plans?
Thanks....Jose
Jose, thanks it's a match with me. Good to know I have at least one to compare how to Pioneers notes with.

We have reservations at Beachside SP (4X) for the end of April. It is our favorite and only 90 minutes away. We frst didcoverd in on a car cam trip in 82 up the coast and it's been a regular since our move to Oregon 12 years ago.

We also just booked 3X on Orcas Island, WA that we found on Campendium. Interesting concept and should be a good home base for exploring the islands. http://privatecamping.net/

If all goes as planned we trying to put together a Missouri trip to se family for the fall, with any luck to include the Purina Incredible Dog Challenges near Washington Mo. We're thinking 5 maybe 6 weeks....whew.

BTW speaking of Yosemite, are you familiar with Dudley the piano player in the Awhanee Dining Room? He is a friend of my wife's, has played there for years until retirement and is playing again this summer (T-Meadows for sure a probably the valley too ) and we're hoping to make the trip but may be sands AS as it may be a quick trip.

Have a good time in Yosemite and at SC and Doheney this summer. Driving by last month they look like great coastal spots.

bob
Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #635
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Jose missed this...

[Subfan1: We think we will go local this year. I'm thinking the eastern Sierras do some fishing and relaxing. .....]

Jose, Ahh the Little and West Walker maybe.... Maybe the best trout fishing in CA...tho the Hat Creek/Fall River folks will surely contest...

Memories of fishing Bernice Lake with their ever elusive Goldens and the ever productive Babcock Lake.

I'm jealous. Have a great time!

Bob
Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 AM   #636
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob and Jose,

With a new grandchild on the way very soon, we will probably lay low for a month or two, and maybe hit some local campgrounds after the water goes on. Make sure all systems are good to go.

New England may be the first shakedown trip, via one of the two ferries from Long Island to CT. These are the only way to avoid the craziness of NYC traffic, and are well worth the cost IMO. I am still hoping for a longer trip in the fall, but California Dreamin' 16/17 seems pretty far away at this point!

Good luck to all, including TCWheels on their new trip, and may everyone's trails be happy . . .

Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #637
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
Hi guys thats a screen to keep out mud wasps and such .
Hi All - We bought the mud wasp cover from Colonial Airstream when we bought the trailer. We were picking up the unit and I asked the Parts Dept ..."if we were to buy ONE accessory right away - what would his recomendation be?" He came back with the stainless steel cover. They popped it on, it's held in place with metal hooks. One and done. It can get hot, so keep fingers off. But it seems to work - as there are not any pesky wasps trying to get in. Apparently they love the heat and propane.
Otra - thanks for the scoop on DAR. We probably won't be heading that way this year, as I think we will be doing a combo of weekend trips to the beach: Cape Cod and Maine - then a joining the NE or CT WBCCI groups for weekend gatherings. The first one is April 14-15 Pets & Paws Rally in Mansfield MA.

Anyone a member of the WBCCI groups for these two areas? Would love to see and meet some folks from this very active forum!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #638
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Sheets

http://www.ablifestyles.net/camper-r...or-airstreams/

Just got these sheets for Miss Rivets. The fit is excellent and they feel nice!
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #639
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto on the quality of the ablifestyles sheets (and mattress pad). I read on another thread that there may also be room for a memory foam mattress topper ~ 2" thick. TBD
Old 03-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #640
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
20 Footer and Good Year Marathons

Ok Folks....I have had my FC 20 home from the dealer for a month and have been reading a lot about the Goodyear Marathon tires, which mine has. I have ordered a TPMS and also am getting Tyron bands installed shortly. For those of you who have changed out the tires on your FC 20, this would be a great time to chime in and let me know what brand/size etc... you consider to be the safest. I may change them out when the bands get installed.

Thanks!