Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
TC, still looking forward to my first NC visit, and still sharpening up on my east coast geography, but the campsite in the pic isn't the three days in Asheville at this great campground reference is it? I think NC need needs to be higher up on our bucket list.

bob

OTRA is correct! This is Edisto Island State Park in coastal South Carolina about an hour south of Charleston. We went from the mountains of NC to the coast of SC.

We love traveling the coasts of Virginia, NC, SC, and Georgia. Beautiful camping, great folks, fascinating history, and good food. Can't beat that combination!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TC & OTRA. Thanks for the site ID.I kinda figured as much...palm trees being the obvious tip off, since I knew it wasn’t San Diego.It also reminded me of our favorite Oregon coast site as Beachside SP (without the palm trees) which fronts on a 10 mile stretch of uncrowded beach...somewhat unusual to the normal CA/OR ruggedness. I’ll note Edisto Island.....and look forward to exploring the eastside.
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT

Thanks. I have driven that coastal stretch of 101 on a road trip from San Diego to Vancouver BC and back. Isn't the USCG Heavy Weather training facility near there? [edit correction this school is on the WA coast] While driving along watching the ocean, I just happened to see, out of the corner of my eyes, one of their lifeboats drop in (surfing term) to a large swell and roll over.

Not knowing it was a CG vessel, I immediately pulled over to watch this apparent disaster unfold, where upon the lifeboat righted herself, turned around to punch back out through the breakers, and do it all over again!

Having been around power boats all my childhood, I was floored by the skill and dedication of the USCG crew then and evermore.

Remarkable . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yeah, the USCG self-righting motor lifeboat is amazing, as is the crew. They are strapped in with a race-car style harness. They are much braver than I am.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

. . .
I’ll note Edisto Island.....and look forward to exploring the eastside.

Bob
Not sure if you noticed this thread from a month or so ago for your long-range planning:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...er-143282.html

The SC summer weather can be challenging though. The main thing you may notice about the entire East Coast is the humidity, which West-coasters often find oppressive. Sticking close to the actual coast, however, makes life easier with the sea breezes and swimming options.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #406
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1712927]Not sure if you noticed this thread from a month or so ago for your long-range planning:

Peter thanks for the link. I'll take a look and save the thread. We have had some humidity experience as we visit family in Wash Mo, but so far have had good timing. I'm sure our time will come as we explore.

bob
Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 AM   #407
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
We were able to get away for another weekend at the beach, this week at San Clemente SB
Attachment 250518
Hope all is well on the other coast! Not sure if you saw this recent post from Laguna Beach SP, but it looks similar to photos you have posted from the coast:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1718166

During my first Fall in San Diego way back when, I remember heating up pork and beans on the beach over a can of Sterno for my first Thanksgiving away from home -- under palm trees, in between surf sessions. Heaven!

Looks like the winter rains have not set in yet. What do you think the effect of El Nino (a?) is going to be?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #408
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
oh...So Cal

Peter you’re killing me. We just finished a 5 day streak of low to mid 20’s. When I was in college and lived in SD, it was termed freezeass weather. Sure hope the weatherization went well.

My retirement date was 12/1/2015 and the last month has been crunch time at work and all that has been on our minds other than the 12/1 date is the trip south to San Diego late Jan. and other possibilities for AS adventures I originally logged to ask SubFan1 for his preferences for Crystal Cove SB vs Doheney SB OR San Clemente SB. Hello Subfan1??

I snapped a couple of pictures of the front LP values and pex that I’ll circulate as soon as I figure out how to upload. (seems to have finally worried) The hot side valve was almost inaccessible and I ended taking the plywood off for only slightly better access. The other issue was the cold supply to the HWH was plumbed with a low spot that I eventually disconnected to lift higher so it would drain fully the flem back to the LP drain. Just wondering if everyone is plumbed this way. Personally I’m a little disappointed in the plumbing layout here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7352 (Small).JPG
Views:	125
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	253246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7358 (Small).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	253247  

Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #409
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi, just saw this. The previous link where Andrew T is camping at is Crystal Cove state beach. There is no Laguna state beach. Crystal Cove however, is in the city of Laguna.
Depending on how long your stay is; San Clemente state beach is the only park with full hook ups. Crystal Cove has partial hook ups and Doheny state beach is dry but, the campground is right on the beach. No need to climb down to get to the water.
I really like Crystal Cove though. Have fun!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #410
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
warmer weather to the south

Subfan1, super, thanks for the feedback. We looking forward to warmer weather and visiting the old haunts...as well as stretching Blue's legs for her first maiden voyage of longer than a day.

bob
Old 12-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
[snip]
My retirement date was 12/1/2015 and the last month has been crunch time at work and all that has been on our minds other than the 12/1 date is the trip south to San Diego late Jan. and other possibilities for AS adventures . . .
[snip]
Sorry for the SD beach reference Bob, but maybe think of that sterno flame as light at the end of your tunnel for January?

Congratulations on your retirement!

When I saw your photos of the LP drains near the water heater tank, I thought they looked different than mine.

I guess my first question is -- how did you get your camera so far away from the valves? It seems as if you are almost under the bed in the bottom shot.

I finally got around to checking mine, and sure enough the drain valves are different, and so is the configuration of the plumbing runs. Yet we have the same 2014 Flying Cloud model. Hmmm, how does this happen, do the plumbing installers have individual discretion to do things as they wish?

Here are my valves, which are the 90 degree shut-off style, not knobs-on-tob like yours. Do yours only operate 90 degrees to open/close, or do you have to turn them more than that?

Name:	FC20 LPs A 4 DEC 2015.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	253290

Name:	FC20 LPs B 4 DEC 2015.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	253291

And compare the photo just above with yours -- the horizontal plumbing run above my low point valves is much higher than yours. No wonder you had trouble reaching under to operate your valves. Again, weird for the same model and year IMO.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS thanks subfan1 for the clarifications. Hopefully late next year I will make it back to the West Coast!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #413
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I came across the Ultimate Airstreams site via another thread on this forum about a custom 25' AS they are working on. Check out the FC20 mobile snack bar photo gallery under the "Beaverstream" link here:

Projects

Nice!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #414
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Wow! That Ultimate Airstreams website is fantastic! I have bookmarked it to go back and look closely from time to time.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #415
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I came across the Ultimate Airstreams site via another thread on this forum about a custom 25' AS they are working on. Check out the FC20 mobile snack bar photo gallery under the "Beaverstream" link here:

Projects

Nice!
Thanks for posting Otra15. This is a very cool site! I like how they took part of the dining table and made it an ottoman in a couple of the units. Love the Sophia trailer and love Ponzi wine! So cool what they did with the lighting and wine bottle storage. Also think that custom cargo space off the back of the trailer is pretty cool too.
Awesome site! I added it to favorites.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 AM   #416
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Our 20' is put away for the winter

Well, we put our 20 footer into winter storage for the season and we miss it already!

We winterize it (just in case) before we put it into a rented heated garage that is offsite in another town for 4-5 months. It's a nice clean space in a private garage - so we are happy with having that option. No one has access to the garage other than the homeowner and our trailer has the entire space to itself.
But we really miss seeing it in the yard and being able to poke around in it!

Yesterday, after we dropped the trailer off - we busied our selves with chores and then we spent a good part of the early evening watching u-tube airstream videos. Pathetic! It's going to be a loooonnng winter!
I'm wondering if any of the cold weather climate fellow streamers are feeling the same?!
Next year, we hope to figure out seasonal storage at our house...but that's a whole other story! To be continued....
Old 12-06-2015, 04:42 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Wild Child, yeah, amazing what a custom shop can do with the interiors. Probably a bit pricey, but also pretty efficient IMO if you know exactly what you want built, and they are already skilled at dealing with all the curved surfaces. Hard to do custom interiors on one's own, without time and access to a well-equipped cabinet shop.

Our winterized FC20 is tucked away at the end of the drive near the garage, with a 50' #12 extension cord feeding a new short (~15") OEM 30 amp electrical plug at the trailer with a 15 amp male end. This is all plugged into a GFI outlet on the back porch, and supplies enough juice to keep the batteries charged, and to power the 2 Damp Chasers and small electric fan inside the trailer. I plan to put a small 120 volt light fixture on the dinette table, so I can see it from inside the house all winter. Or a string of Christmas lights on the outside?

Here is the short OEM plug:

Amazon.com: Furrion FP3015-SS Titanium 30 Amp Female to 15 Amp Male Pigtail: Automotive

Very handy for future boondocking too in areas where you don't need the 30 amp service for the A/C. Not sure what the rating charts would say, but a 200' #10 AWG cable would probably supply enough juice to keep the batteries charged out in the woods. Or a small Honda 2000 generator of course.

I stored my 25' AS this way for many winters years ago, and it worked out fine. The small heat sources inside chased the moisture away all winter. I can also go out and open a window/skylight if we get a nice spell over the winter. Plus now the trailer is ready to head out, if the weather permits a quick dash south after New Years. Life is short!

I still need to water-proof the electrical connections at/near the trailer with a "tent" of EPDM roofing material, or something like that.

We never made it south this Fall, but hope to do so after New Years or after the worst of winter appears to be over. At the rate this warm spell is going in the Northeast, not sure when winter is going to hit. Nothing like last winter seems to be on the horizon, but who knows . . .

BTW are you familiar with the campgrounds in the Otis Reservoir to Cummington region? I have relatives up that way, and hope to visit with the new trailer next year. How about Tolland State Forest, for instance?

Tolland State Forest

Happy Holidays to all . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Well, we put our 20 footer into winter storage for the season and we miss it already!

We winterize it (just in case) before we put it into a rented heated garage that is offsite in another town for 4-5 months. It's a nice clean space in a private garage - so we are happy with having that option. No one has access to the garage other than the homeowner and our trailer has the entire space to itself.

But we really miss seeing it in the yard and being able to poke around in it!

Yesterday, after we dropped the trailer off - we busied our selves with chores and then we spent a good part of the early evening watching u-tube airstream videos. Pathetic! It's going to be a loooonnng winter!

I'm wondering if any of the cold weather climate fellow streamers are feeling the same?!

Next year, we hope to figure out seasonal storage at our house...but that's a whole other story! To be continued....

Yes, we are feeling the same way! We have a similar situation with the AS in a heated, private garage. It's an hour from home so we can't even visit regularly! The PLAN is to spend February in FLA - reservations at Anastasia and Topsail - so we'll be on the road again within 60 days, but I've got to do at least a couple of working visits to the AS for projects in the meantime.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #419
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Hi Peter - We used to camp at Tolland State Park as a kid with my parents and as adults many years ago.
I think it probably hasn't changed too much. It's a fairly small, rustic state park that does have swimming, some water view (of the lake) sites and a boat launch. The comfort stations had flush and showers but totally not fancy in case you need them. Some sites difficult to back into - others fairly easy. I'm not sure about hook ups. The lake has a lot of motor boats & jet skis - so it can get busy if you are trying to canoe or kayak. Nothing close by for restaurants and groceries are about a 30 minute drive. There is a general store for minor purchases 5 miles down the road. I think this park is just "ok".

There is DAR State Park in Goshen MA which is a prettier but much smaller park, and no hookups at all. It would mean boondocking.
Restrooms very rustic (code for icky) - if I remember correctly. It has a small pond for kayaking and canoeing. No motorboats allowed - so it is quiet.
It's about a 20 minute drive from Northampton - which has a lot of restaurants and shops (a college town to Smith College). To get there, it's lot of up hills to reach the location. You will be out in the country which is pretty and quiet but not a lot close by. Sites are small and mostly tenters go. I do think scenery wise, it is prettier than Tolland. Just no hookups! We haven't been in years and because I'm not a fan of pond swimming and being without hookups - we haven't put it in our plans to go there.

You may want to Check out: White Birch Campground in Whately MA. White Birch Campground - HOME
Our AS club went to that campground this fall and we were considering going - but had a conflict with the dates. It's just down the road from the Yankee Candle Flagship Store, off the beaten path but close to Northampton and Amherst. To me, it looks pretty nice. But it all depends on what you are looking for.

There are a few good places to eat that we can recommend if you want - let us know. And if you need anything when you are out this way please feel free to reach out to us as we are about 20 min from Northampton area. And if we are around - would be glad to help!
I think maybe checking out reviews on trip advisor may help guide with more recent info than I have. I hope this helps!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #420
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks -- I am pretty familiar with that area and often go up for a quick trip to see a good group at The Iron Horse. Do you know the group Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem, who are (were?) based in Whately years ago? They play at TIH every so often. Formerly Salamander Crossing, I first heard them here on Long Island at the Stony Brook Folk and Fiddle Festival in the Fall -- I guess about 15-20 years ago at this point. [*]

I have lots of family history up your way -- from Westfield to the NW Hill Towns in the Berkshires --going back many generations. Too many long stories to tell, but I actually water skied on Otis Reservoir in the 1950's as a kid with my grandparents and their crowd. I imagine it has changed a bit since then!

I will let you know if we head up that way in the Spring.

Thanks again for all the pointers.

Peter
.[*] PS -- There are some good shows at The Iron Horse in April and May. TBD

http://www.iheg.com/iron_horse_main.asp

PS2 -- Putting the tune "Desert Wind" by Salamander Crossing on the OTRA Music Channel thread. Great beat!