Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearScream View Post
Hello all. Just had my first trip after getting my VW Jetta diesel hitched to my 20 at CanAm in Ontario. Made me wish I were Canadian and lived nearby. Great experience!
Initial impression is the Jetta diesel, manual transmission, seems to newbie me to be super as TV, delivering a phenomenal 28-29 mpg towing highway (and double that solo!). It seems to be a fine choice for anyone concerned about lowering fuel costs.

From London, Ontario, I towed back on US90 to Syracuse, overnighting at a truck stop (that was a learning experience!) and then down US81 to Philadelphia for a family visit.
Photos: right, at CanAm; left in Phila.
Wondering if your Jetta is rated to tow the 20' with a maximum loaded weight of 4,500 to 5,000 pounds +/-?

Thanks

PS -- Just found this thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tta-79645.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Hey FCloud9, will keep my eyes peeled for you. On my 2007, the only LEDs are just those four break/stop lights And despite their age, they all seem fine. Someone cut costs?

Unless I;m wrong, there is no trailer inspection in MA -- no sticker needed. Enjoy your NY/NE tour.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Hello all. Just had my first trip after getting my VW Jetta diesel hitched to my 20 at CanAm in Ontario. Made me wish I were Canadian and lived nearby. Great experience!
Initial impression is the Jetta diesel, manual transmission, seems to newbie me to be super as TV, delivering a phenomenal 28-29 mpg towing highway (and double that solo!). It seems to be a fine choice for anyone concerned about lowering fuel costs.

From London, Ontario, I towed back on US90 to Syracuse, overnighting at a truck stop (that was a learning experience!) and then down US81 to Philadelphia for a family visit.
Photos: right, at CanAm; left in Phila.

Looks great Myles!

I'm in for a 20 rally, or a 20 subset of a larger rally!
I'll have to crash the VW party, as my non-pickup TV has an "L" rather than a "VW" on the badge 😈
Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Thanks Darrell, and very much like yours! So it isn't the badge but the principle that even a capable small sedan (white, of course) can tow well.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wondering if your Jetta is rated to tow the 20' with a maximum loaded weight of 4,500 to 5,000 pounds +/-?

Thanks

PS -- Just found this thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tta-79645.html
Interesting thread, OTRA, tho it wandered a lot off topic in the middle:-- thanks for the link. From this thread, the answer to your question is no, not rated, due to lack of incentive to bother here in the US. The VW manual describes towing about half the load with a class 2 hitch. It is so rated in the EU, where TTs are lighter, weight dist hitches and electric TT brakes, are rare at best. I voted for Andrew T's analyses and his long experience at CanAm. My small experience towing thru the Poconos of PA taught me to downshift the manual trans when I needed to climb or brake. Seemed well controlled to me, with only a small hit on FE.

it seems to me that added TV maintenance costs go with the territory and are likely worth it.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:05 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks BearScream, I was wondering mainly about the effect of towing the 20' on your Jetta's warranty, but you seem to have anticipated this issue.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:09 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Right now we're camped at the marina in St. Clair, Michigan in the RAIN! So, I posted this as a reminder of our great weekend up north closer to home a couple weekends ago...
Attachment 241701

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Looks soooo nice! It's great when we get to have nice weather for our adventures. Love the pix...I had to look twice as I thought it was our trailer!
In New England the weather is a roll of the dice. Last weekend we were at a rally put on the CT Charter Oak Unit from Region 1. We stayed at Riverside Marina in Portland CT.
It was so much fun meeting folks in the club. It was our first rally. Our 20' drew lots of attention as folks were curious to see the inside. So we gave a few "tours."
We had great weather the first two days, but Sunday was torrential downpours so a complete washout. But it sure was nice having a cozy 20' to have our breakfast in that morning! We are planning to join up with a couple more rallies this summer. It was great fun!
Have fun trailering!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
FCloud 9 - Have a super summer traveling! Looking forward to your posts. Let us know if any great CG to try.
Bear Scream - Congrats on your new adventure! Your are correct, no inspection stickers for trailers in MA - just insane excise tax bills. Travel safe and have fun!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #169
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Did you say excise tax bills FCloud9? Just got an excise tax bill for the trailer that must be in error!!? :-)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks BearScream, I was wondering mainly about the effect of towing the 20' on your Jetta's warranty, but you seem to have anticipated this issue.
Frankly, this is an unknown -- if VW will make an issue of towing for any defect that is unrelated. I did drive the VW for a month before getting a hitch, and it seemed to me to be solid. I need this kind of TV, and so accepted this risk, even extending the three year to a six year warranty. Much may depend on how your servicing dealer reacts, I suspect, and I have some confidence there. I told them of my plans before I bought the car; the sales mgr agreed the car could tow. But that's sales. Service? YMMV.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #171
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Did you say excise tax bills FCloud9? Just got an excise tax bill for the trailer that must be in error!!? :-)

BearScream,
We live in PA and only pay initial PA state sales tax with initial registration at 6%....then required yearly PA State inspections which we just paid $30. Believe Wild Child lives in MA with the excise tax.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #172
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
BearScream,
We live in PA and only pay initial PA state sales tax with initial registration at 6%....then required yearly PA State inspections which we just paid $30. Believe Wild Child lives in MA with the excise tax.
Oops, meant to reply to 'Wild Child.' Sorry to both.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hey now that you're all hitched and ready to travel, come on out to the Desert southwest! We are the only Airstream in the park. We need some friends here😀

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #174
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Oops, meant to reply to 'Wild Child.' Sorry to both.
No worries. yes, it was me - from Tax-a-chusettes with the wise guy comment. I'd take the inspection sticker vs excise tax any time!
Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #175
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hey now that you're all hitched and ready to travel, come on out to the Desert southwest! We are the only Airstream in the park. We need some friends here😀

Wish we could come out your way. It would be so cool to see the Desert Soutwest, but work would frown upon a long enough departure to make the trip!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post

Thanks for the invite but we spent over three months AZ, NV, CA, UT this past winter and had a great time while successfully leaving the snow, ice and cold in PA. We hope to eventually move west of Mississippi someday so heading to Adirondacks and New England while we are still on east coast seems like a good plan this year. Will probably go west next summer 2016!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #177
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Hey, a little help here? Anybody hook up a FC 20' using a Fastway E2 type hitch (equalizer type) and have trouble dialing it in? We have the 800 # bars and with 2 washers on the tilt it is stiff and possibly a little skittish in the rear of the truck but with one washer on the tilt it is bouncy. I also have 600 # bars from my old 16 Sport I could use, but that is POSSIBLY a little light on the hitch weight. Unloaded is the hitch weight 630 or way under that? Would you opt for a stiff or a bouncy? Stiff comes up with 0 rear end difference in the TV rear end height and bouncy is about 1.5 lower than unloaded.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
No worries. yes, it was me - from Tax-a-chusettes with the wise guy comment. I'd take the inspection sticker vs excise tax any time!

Michigan only(!) 6% sales tax, no inspection, no excise tax, and I believe I have a "permanent" trailer plate (tag)...
Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Looks soooo nice! It's great when we get to have nice weather for our adventures. Love the pix...I had to look twice as I thought it was our trailer!

In New England the weather is a roll of the dice. Last weekend we were at a rally put on the CT Charter Oak Unit from Region 1. We stayed at Riverside Marina in Portland CT.

It was so much fun meeting folks in the club. It was our first rally. Our 20' drew lots of attention as folks were curious to see the inside. So we gave a few "tours."

We had great weather the first two days, but Sunday was torrential downpours so a complete washout. But it sure was nice having a cozy 20' to have our breakfast in that morning! We are planning to join up with a couple more rallies this summer. It was great fun!

Have fun trailering!

Thanks Wild Child! You must have a very nice looking trailer!

Our first time camping at a marina. Very interesting subculture. There was a boating club event going on and there are probably some parallels with AS rallies. We're doing our first rally in November down in SC. Thought it best to go far away from home to do our first one in case I offended anyone too badly...
Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We made it to Arches NP. We are staying at Devils Garden CG, at 104 I think I know why it's called Devils Garden
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435711036.357249.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	241981