Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #1901
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[,,,,This might be developing nicely as a manageable proactive winter project. I'm sure I'll have the rig back by then.

Bob[/QUOTE]

well now it seems there was a yet another mis-diagnosis with the furnace. Apparently red blinking @ 1 sec intervals not only indicates the failed sail switch but also the ignition (which apparently doesn't ignite). And this was the first of 5 items on the check list that 2 months ago they said was the only work that was done....so far.

We just passed the 2.5 months in the shop mark. I'm done.

Eggs are cheaper in the country...(by line of a respected shop a few miles up the road in Junction City). AS dealer in Portland is looking mighty close at hand.

Happy trails everyone. I hope you all are getting some road/camp time in. My tomatoes will be ripe (in September) before we get back on the road.

BTW the 2018 WBCCI in Salem, OR. Talk about just down the road.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 AM   #1902
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Oh boy, what a drag . . . sorry for the continuing troubles. If it is any consolation, life also keeps getting in the way here too, so no new trips to HH SP on the radar. Too many family events . . .

The mention of tomatoes of course brings on instant salivation for the B in BLT's. Glad you have the garden to weed as AS Therapy.

How is Rooney doing -- road-ready yet?

Remain calm . . . someday this will all be a good story to tell, as we sit around in our rocking chairs . . . at some Club Bed down the road . . .

Have a good weekend!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #1903
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Oh boy, what a drag . . . sorry for the continuing troubles. If it is any consolation, life also keeps getting in the way here too, so no new trips to HH SP on the radar. Too many family events . . .

The mention of tomatoes of course brings on instant salivation for the B in BLT's. Glad you have the garden to weed as AS Therapy.

How is Rooney doing -- road-ready yet?

Remain calm . . . someday this will all be a good story to tell, as we sit around in our rocking chairs . . . at some Club Bed down the road . . .

Have a good weekend!

Peter
Hey thanks Peter...to those BLT's (Beeler's Ham) I'll add tomato, onion cucumber salad.

Rooney's ready to roll. She passed her last limited RX and we all took a drive today. ( I wanted to drive by the dealers competition in Junction City...expanding and appeared to be open and booming).

We'll head out somewhere local upon possession.

Enjoy the family events and Happy Trails when it's time to punch that ticket.

Bob

gee whiz...just checked their hours...

"Our hours are Mon-Fri: 8am to 5pm, Sat: 10am to 5pm and Sun: 10am to 5pm." That's someone who wants to be competitive!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #1904
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob. Great cooler and drier day here in the NE. Perfect road trip weather . . .

Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #1905
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi, made it to Yosemite today and will start training tomorrow. Here is my campsite for the next month
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	290912  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #1906
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Bob. Great cooler and drier day here in the NE. Perfect road trip weather . . .

Sounds like an opportunity for a weekday getaway.

Supposed to be -106-108...even heard 110 in a few days.

b
Old 07-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #1907
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hi, made it to Yosemite today and will start training tomorrow. Here is my campsite for the next month
[ATTACH]

Awesome, I can almost hear the thunder of Nevada Falls from here.....have a great month in the valley.

bob
Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #1908
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
[ATTACH]
Great photo, thanks for catalyzing the California memories! Have a great month.

Peter
Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 AM   #1909
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Enjoy your time in Yosemite! Looks like a beautiful campsite. Not a bad place to lay your head at night
Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #1910
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
vandemusser, welcome to the 20's thread and club.

2x from Peter [Please take more photos as you go along, before you cover things up. If you can disengage the H/C feeds to the shower box, you might be able to pull it free of the exterior wall enough to reach into the VB? I think the box has surface screws on the exterior trim ring.]

couple of questions if I may?
  • The replacement flush kit. is this an AS kit from JC or the dealer?
  • Does it include all that is the image?
  • are you simply going to screw in the nipples to the brass head and swap it out or are you planning to replace the face plate, seal etc as well?
This might be developing nicely as a manageable proactive winter project. I'm sure I'll have the rig back by then.

Bob
Bob:

I purchased the flush valve replacement kit from Out-Of-Doors Mart, but I have to assume that this is an OEM parts kit. The guy I talked to on the phone said they had moved away from the plastic vacuum breaker because of all of the issues people had been having with them on older models. The photo I took shows all of the pieces that came with it, I believe.

Once I looked at the plumbing access I had, what made the most sense was to simply replace the backflow preventer / vacuum breaker and replace it with the new one, leaving the existing pex piping. I left the face plate and seal since there really wasn't anything wrong with those. The biggest challenges were that I had to unscrew the coated pipe strap that was holding the pex in place. The new vacuum breaker and associated threads are larger than the plastic one I removed (see pic). There is not a lot of room in there to get a screwdriver, but I managed to get a stubby one in there. There really was no way to reinstall the strap but I really don't see the pex moving around a lot once I put the seat back in place. The upside was that I didn't need to move the shower box out of the way... that being said, it took two of us to hold pex in place to do it the way I did it. Moving the shower box out of the way might allow this to be a one-person job. I just didn't want to have to re-seal anything on the exterior.

The one thing I did do while I had everything accessible was to remove the four undermount screws in the plumbing chase that were holding down the bathroom counter down. I honestly think the easier way to get to this plumbing in the future will be to remove the bathroom counter since then you have access to all of it from above rather than from the side. Those four screws really keep you from doing that... and honestly, they don't really serve a purpose since you have plenty of other screws to hold the counter down. If anyone has to do this job, I would strongly urge you to remove those screws so you have other options for access down the road.

If there is a Hell, I've officially revised my vision of it. I think it is filled with horrible people who are spending eternity replacing vacuum breakers in 20-foot Airstreams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flush valve 1.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	291068   Click image for larger version

Name:	flush valve 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	291069  

Name:	flush valve 3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	291070  
vandemusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #1911
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update! Even though ours in a easier spot (I think), we will probably not swap it out right now. We can live without the back-flush system for now.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #1912
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
. . .
Otra - thanks for the scoop on DAR. We probably won't be heading that way this year, . . .
. . .
Thanks for the 2016 post above. Wondering if you have tried DAR this season, and whether their 2016 reconstruction worked out alright? We are hoping to get in a few days this fall, and will also be checking out White Birch, as you recommended last year.

Hope your summer is going well!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #1913
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=vandemusser;1986945]

Vandemusser, thanks for the extra effort and sharing of info.

When you said you’re going in, I had thought about the pipe strap. I ran into that challenge when I was dealing with pump/pex noise in the pump house and was trying to slip some ensolite between the diamond plate and the pex connections. Afraid to remove the screw as I figured I’d never find the hole again...not even talking about reaching in to get the screw loosened/out!

To clarify:

“[the vacuum breaker and associated threads are larger…]: Do you mean the head is larger (and so may not clamp down like before?) but the same ½” NPT…just longer? Maybe a close nipple may be a better size???

[There really was no way to reinstall the strap but I really don't see the pex moving around a lot once I put the seat back in place.] I agree re not moving around…maybe a bit of foam between the head and the alu skin especially since the new part is brass and may vibrate/rob the skin

[The one thing I did do while I had everything accessible was to remove the four undermount screws in the plumbing chase that were holding down the bathroom counter down. I honestly think the easier way to get to this plumbing in the future will be to remove the bathroom counter since then you have access to all of it from above rather than from the side. Those four screws really keep you from doing that... and honestly, they don't really serve a purpose since you have plenty of other screws to hold the counter down. If anyone has to do this job, I would strongly urge you to remove those screws so you have other options for access down the road.]

I took a look at this yesterday (yes I picked up the TT yesterday…post to follow) …starting from the beginning, I can see all/most of the 1” angle brackets and the one long 1 piece bracket along the back of the counter, to be unscrewed to lift the top off (plus plumbing connections as well), but you’re saying there are 4 more in the chase that contains the VB…correct as seen partially in #1885 image? Those I presume are accessible having removed the dinette first.

Great work and thanks for all the feedback.

Bob
Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #1914
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Back in business...going up the country soon I hope

Finally picked up Blue from the dealer yesterday. She is resting in storage until the heat breaks (recent high of 106) in a few days.

Repair update: Furnace. Seems not only was the sail switch bad but so was the ignition electrode. Images attached in case you've never seen one. Determined this repair is not an owner fix OTR as the furnace needed to be removed.

Micropluse Monitor: swapped out for a new one....before they go out of business.

Batteries. Ahhh getting to the heart of things. My posotion was replacement. They felt that the SRM 24 interstates were designed to cycle as low as 20%. Interstate website recommends no more that 50%. Problem was while under there control I had readings of 8.46 & 10.77 that I had documented and there were other times I picked up the unit with a dead batt (no voltage meter with me) and as such no telling how may cycles of life had been reduced.

In the end, the agreed that new batteries was the proper solution.

Dropped off 5-9-2017 & picked up 8-3-2017. Time to roll & going up the country. Looking for coast openings...and with the eclipse on the horizon...wish me luck.

Happy Trails all

bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9697 (Small).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	291298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9705 (Small).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	291299  

Name:	IMG_9704 (Small).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	291300   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Batts 8-3-17 (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	291302  

Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #1915
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Wow what crummy service! Glad you held in there for new batteries. Your NW heat wave is nuts . . . is the coast also hot and clear, that is, no fog bank to keep it cool? Good luck with finding some CG openings next week, maybe during the week for starters.

The coast is so close, it might pay just to hook up and take off until you find a spot to camp as a walk-in? During the week, I bet that would work, but the heat could make things difficult in general without electric.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #1916
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi Bob, glad to read about getting her home after 3 months. Somehow that does not seem right. Good luck finding a CG and as Peter suggested, you may want to wait until Monday.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #1917
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks everyone. Heat finally broke today...only 100 at home. Getting to know the basement...Brick house w/no AC ; (

Florence is an hour west and I found some openings at some openings w/hookups at Umpqua Lighthouse SP and a couple of county parks in Florence & Charleston area....maybe anoth 30 minutes S. We're didn't have a firm P/U date until yesterday so we're just getting the calendar out and looking around. Winds have been offshore from the NE and has shifted a bit...OR's ver of Santa Anna's so no more smoke from the fire N of Sisters. It will still be warm at the coast..85 yesterday. None of the Mark Twain coldest winter's day business for this coast!

happy trails.
bob
Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #1918
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
Heat finally broke today...only 100 at home.
. . .

Put this one in the record books, eh?

Have fun next week.

"OTRA Again!" . . . said Yogi Berra . . .

Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #1919
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Stairs

I have a 2012 and my stairs have broken twice. The first time a was able to weld it back together, but this time it won't be so simple. Airstream now uses a aluminum stairs. Does anyone know who makes them and where to buy them?

Also, I'm hoping they just bolt in. Am I dreaming?
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #1920
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Most items like the steps are proprietary Airstream parts, and are generally not available on the open market IMO. I would call your nearest dealer, or check the online AS parts sites, such as:

https://www.airstreamsupply.com/

These are what we had on our 25' years ago, but not sure if this is what AS is supplying now.

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...972-up-3440006

FYI from Colonial, who I would call tomorrow. They are a major dealer, and will know about replacement, and can ship you the set IMO.

https://www.colonialrv.com/blog/airs...aluminum-step/

Good luck!

Peter