Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #1233
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks, I am actually thinking of sticking with 15" and going to Nokian M&S per this thread. Seems like the weight ratings are OK at 2760.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

If I could find 15" Michelin M&S E-rated available in their old line-up, I would go with them, but my impression is that Michelin's move to the new Defender line is mostly 16" availability.

I have read good things about Nokian M&S, and am considering them for our tow vehicle van later this year, as we are coming up on 30k and the OEM tires are, well, tired!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #1234
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Gotcha -- looking forward to a report.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #1235
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob, if you want to compare our VIN numbers please post your last 5, and tire date of mfg. -- as will I. If our GYM tires might be from the same batch I will get ours done ASAP.

We compared our VINs a while ago during the disco light show discussion, I think, but I will do it again later.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter it has been a bit chaotic as of late. This is the first time on AF since the 28th when I fell from a ladder and broke my femur just below the Hip.
I'll be posting to AF somewhere a comment re obstinate old geezers, safety & ladder usage.

Steve obviously the MO trip and our stop in Denver/Robb is on hold.

Plus I'll post photos on the propane tank holder. Seems in the end I had one intact screw, two that were snapped off due to being over-torqued at install and one missing. I surprised the tanks were still there. My apologies for typos...meds are making it a challenge

Bob
Old 09-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #1236
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to hear of your accident.

My sister in law fell off a high ladder 8-9 years ago, the ladder then fell on her leg.

Multiple compound fractures, plates, screws, skin grafts later....she still walks with a limp and wishes they had just cut it off.

I'm of the opinion that most of us aging folks have no business on ladders, unless you remain one of those who is as agile and nimble as a mountain goat.

I am not, and don't do them. You likely won't again.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and rapid return to your Airstream.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #1237
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sorry to hear, Bob.

Yeah the learning curve about slowing down and reducing risk can be challenging. Don't ask how I know!

Absolutely no rush on any feedback.

Get well. You still have plenty of trips ahead of you!

Peter
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #1238
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Thanks for the additional details. Glad you were able to maintain control. What kind of weight distribution hitch ["WD"] do you have, and does your tow vehicle have its own built-in sway control? Knowing these would help the rest of us assess our WD etc. setups.

Would it be possible for you to post the DOT date of manufacture information from your tires (both if they are different)? You, Bob [CruizinDux], and we have the same 2014 model year I believe, and it could be very important to know if our GYM tires were from the same batch. There may actually be a serial number on our tires, but I am not sure about that. For your own records, taking a photo of the DOT info. tire stamps might be a good idea?

Date of mfg. info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

Yes, also a good idea to have the propane lines etc. checked out.

Thanks, and once again, glad you are OK and that the damage is relatively minor.

Peter

PS -- I guess it wouldn't hurt to know the last 5 digits of your VIN from the plate on the front left corner I believe. When it gets light out I will post ours. Thanks.
The tires were manufactured in 2012, don't know the month. As far as I know they were the original tires, Goodyear Marathons. I was being pretty careful with the speed I was going, probably around 62, uphill. The temperature was around 80. The dealer is going to pay for the new tires and the propane line and wheel well lining are going to be replaced. Hopefully, I will get it back soon. I have an equalizer brand hitch.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #1239
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Sorry to read about your experience thus far Idahodian, I hope your future travels are better for your family and Airstream.
In a side I wanted to bring up is that this morning when I was checking air pressure in our tires the street side metal valve stem started leaking only to find that the inner valve was lose so I tighten it and checked the curb side as well which was fine. BTW it was pretty loose. Lots of bad freeways in California probably attributed to this. Check your valve stems!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #1240
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Bob....sorry to hear about your accident! I wondered where you have been. Dang....please be careful and give yourself time to mend. Let me know if you are coming this way in the future.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #1241
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I am a tire idiot....how did you tighten them? Did you do it from the outside? I had my rubber stems replaced with metal in July and now I lose a couple of pounds between trips. Before, it seemed like the pressure was holding just fine.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #1242
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
The actual stem is fine, it was the inside of the valve that was lose. I have an old cap with two prongs on the end so I inserted into the stem and tighten until no more air came out. I just got back from Yosemite and am glad I had no problems on the road. The GYM lost about 3lbs in 3 months each tire. I think that's pretty good.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #1243
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:

Would it be possible for you to post the DOT date of manufacture information from your tires (both if they are different)? You, Bob [CruizinDux], and we have the same 2014 model year I believe, and it could be very important to know if our GYM tires were from the same batch.

PS -- I guess it wouldn't hurt to know the last 5 digits of your VIN from the plate on the front left corner I believe. When it gets light out I will post ours. Thanks.

Peter here are my dates. If my memory hasn't failed I check both tires and they matched.

Blue: Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 LRD 65 PSI. load rating D date of mfg: 16-13 (4-2013)

Bon
Old 09-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #1244
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Bob, and idahodian. So our tires do not appear to be from the same batch. Still moving tire replacement up to top priority.

Have a good weekend!

Peter
Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #1245
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pocatello , Idaho
The Boise dealer has said he doesn't think the 16" tires will fit, well obviously they do, but I understand Michelin has come out with a "Defender" light truck tire that has good reviews that is offered in a 15" . Any experience with this tire?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #1246
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
There are tons of threads/posts which touch on the new Defender transition. If you Google "airforums Michelin Defender 16" you will see many good results. I can't seem to copy the link for my search results on my iPad right now. Will try when I get my laptop back from the shop next week.

My impression from many months of research is that Michelin is migrating away from 15" to 16" mostly, and their website does not, in my opinion, have current availability well done. Plus the 15" tires available do not usually carry the E load rating we need for our FC20. With LT tires (it is said that) you need a load rating 10% above our 2500 lbs. per tire, or about 2750. [edit -- which the Nokians I mentioned earlier do]

We are planning on going to a tire retailer soon to determine actual availability. Given the old ages of our tires, we may just get 2 new 15" of any recommended tire, just to junk the Goodyear Marathons ASAP. The "perfect" combo of new 16" wheels/tires may wait. This solution may not work for all, I realize, but in light of your catastrophic failure right out of the gate, change now is a good thing.

With new health issues and grandkid duties, the goal of a longer adventure this Fall/Winter seems to be migrating to the back burner, I am sorry to say, and thus the perfect wheel/tire solution may also move back.

Good luck!

Peter

PS the 16" Sendel/Michelin combo has been done by some here, although the Defender model was not out at the time. Try Search this Thread link above, as I will also do later.