Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #1177
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PB, thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding the windows, have you camped without AC in really hot weather with those tiny little windows? I just can't imagine trying to sleep in that aluminum oven without being able to to open -- fully -- our FC20's large fully screened windows, including the one over the sinks. Earlier in this thread I asked about swapping in two more side windows -- one in bath and one over counter next to fridge -- to replace the small fixed glass units. Better cross-ventilation, similar to your bath window comment, and like our old 25' from years ago.

Always something to improve!

Thanks,

Peter

PS check the video I posted. No rock guards or rear bumper from what I can see. Would we like to have the larger bed? Yes!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #1178
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Peter,
We have slept without AC with the windows open in July and August, but not in what I would call hot weather.

Often we find that during the day we will run the AC, but once the sun goes down, if we are at a campground with a bit of a breeze that it is comfortable to open the windows and run the fan. The front window at front of the trailer along the bed does open fully. Then there is a window that opens at the head and foot of the bed, one at the kitchen sink, at the dinette, and one in the bathroom.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #1179
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
In comparing these two trailers I focused on the larger bed in the Sport 22 (6 inches wider and 2" longer) and the substantial difference in price (MSRP 54K v. MSRP 68K). I also noticed the following:

1. Sport 22 was narrower
2. Sport 22 had only 1 battery compared to 2 in the FC 20
3. It appears the Sport 22 only has a cooktop and FC 20 has a full stove and cooktop.
4. Sport 22 has less headroom
5. Finish/Cabinetry/accessories on the Sport 22 are more spartan.
6. Sport 22 slightly longer but lighter.
7. Sport 22 has a smaller furnace and holds less propane.

We want to stay under 23 feet with a Bambi. The difference in price is not a big factor for us but........ every little bit helps. What really attracts me to the Sport is the larger bed for my wife and I. We plan on taking the trailer on 2 week (i.e. 14 days) trips perhaps twice per year. Do people feel that the other standard features of the FC 20 outweigh the larger bed in the Sport? Did I miss something else important? Thanks in advance for everyone's insight.
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I think the tongue or frame on 22' Sport is different than the FC. It's not as 'beefy'. Folks will correct me if I'm saying the wrong thing. But that is important!
We love our 20' but are looking to move up to a 25' FC twinFB.
I also sent you a private message.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #1180
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Peter - I asked the tech at the dealership regarding the install of different windows. They were pretty busy that day but he thought about it for a minute and said anything is possible. His recommendation was to seek out someone who specializes in alterations to Airstreams. A bit more costly but he thought it could be done.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #1181
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Steve. If you could still check [when convenient] that L/R dimension for the outside edge of the screen spline at the galley sink window, that would be helpful. It may be that existing parts will work to allow this window to be operable from inside (with only the left operator). Obviously any full replacement of windows, and related metal work, will run into some big bucks.

Thanks again!

Peter
Old 08-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #1182
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Will do Peter.....sorry I haven't got to that yet I hope to have some bonding/cleaning time with the Airstream this Sunday
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #1183
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks Steve. If you could still check [when convenient] that L/R dimension for the outside edge of the screen spline at the galley sink window, that would be helpful. It may be that existing parts will work to allow this window to be operable from inside (with only the left operator). Obviously any full replacement of windows, and related metal work, will run into some big bucks.

Thanks again!

Peter

This would definitely be a mod I would do. Retire the wooden spoon!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #1184
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Guess what? I will be camping this weekend and will have some downtime. I definitely will get the window measured and report back. Thanks for keeping after me on this. It's been a crazy summer and time to slow down and get things off of the "to do" list.

Watch for my report
Old 08-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #1185
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Steve no rush. Did they get your radio squared away? And the pup?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #1186
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
The radio is squared away. The old one was toast. They ended up taking one out of a brand new unit on the lot and Airstream is replacing it for them. We were running out of time for me to get back on the road home and the dealer and Airstream were awesome with solving the problem.

The pup is home with me. His name is Hector. He is a terror....attacks everything, wreaks havoc and then collapses into long naps. He is the perfect addition to my home. He gets car sick but, from what I have read, they can grow out of that phase. He comes to work with me so I don't have to leave him alone at home.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #1187
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Glad Hector is working out!

What brand is the radio and is it more user-friendly than Bob and I have found our Pioneer and Sony units to be? How about the "disco light show" -- have you avoided a repeat of this fiasco, and does turning the radio off eliminate all parasitic electric drains, or do you still have to remove the face plate to tame the beast?

How about the programming and set-up, especially for cell and Bluetooth use? Hope they are easier in the new models.

You probably have not checked all this out, but when you do please advise!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #1188
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
And does your new radio play CDs?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #1189
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
It's a Clarion stereo system. No disco show but the original one died so fast I didn't have a chance to see one. I will watch for a drain on the electrical system and remove the face plate if there are any challenges. It does play cd's. It has great sound and the new one keeps working so far.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #1190
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
.....and here is a picture of the monster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hector.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	268776