Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #1461
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hi everyone, I wanted to update the thread with what I thought was going to be a good idea but, not going to happen. It makes no sense but here it goes. Apparently Airstream contacted C&G and wanted to know why they were ordering only one window extension. Rod explained I wanted done and Airstream said not to do it because the rear window is a emergency exit and therefore the window can't be limited by the extension even though the new 20 ft models have the extensions. Rod didn't want to do the modification due to liability issues. Oh well, I'll continue to use the bike handle bar foam guards to prop that darn rear window open. I tried

Hi I followed up on my rear window mod in post #1395 Peter. It's too bad I couldn't have it done. What I don't understand is that the new 20s have this mechanism installed. Does not make sense to me.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #1462
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Hi I followed up on my rear window mod in post #1395 Peter. It's too bad I couldn't have it done. What I don't understand is that the new 20s have this mechanism installed. Does not make sense to me.

subfan1 have you tried taking to JC about this. I agree. Seems I remember something maybe on a Fiamma thread re the re designation so that the bike rack could be installed and not block egress.

Maybe time to bend their ear

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #1463
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For your amusement, here is our FC20 after the recent snow. All plugged in and waiting for the van to get out of the shop with the rear-end damage repaired. At least the days are getting longer!

Cheers,

Peter
Peter great pic! Another 20' iceberg! I hope all is well with you. I hear the East Coast has been slammed pretty darn hard.

We're hunkered down and EUG is essentially closed for business. I''m afraid to go check out Blue. My last visit was two weeks ago after the freezing rain blew thru. No snow, just all ice. Similar storm hit Sat eve.

Pismo is on the horizon and none too soon. Highs in the high 50's are sounding pretty darn good. Hoping the winterization went well as it's a short window to summerize and get out of dodge and over Siskiyou to sunny central cal.

Bob

p.s. actually walking w/out a limp : ))) just need to stay away from the sheet ice everywhere!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #1464
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
subfan1 have you tried taking to JC about this. I agree. Seems I remember something maybe on a Fiamma thread re the re designation so that the bike rack could be installed and not block egress.

Maybe time to bend their ear

Bob

Hi Bob I have not nor will I call JC I've given up on the idea especially as you rightly point out regarding the Fiamma bike rack; I can't open the rear window when our bikes are installed. We will continue to use the bike sponge handle bar grips and enjoy more camping trips. Life's too short.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #1465
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks subfan1, I had missed your update in Post #1395. Too many lawyers in the AS parts supply chain, unfortunately! Know the difference between a dead snake and a dead attorney lying on the road?

Thanks Bob, and good to know you are healing up! Yeah, that ice can be an unruly neighbor. I went over to a sick friend's house yesterday to shovel, and almost went down walking up their sloped driveway. Also looking forward to getting OTRA again. Pismo >50F sounds pretty good right now!

Happy Trails . . .

Peter

PS -- There are skid marks in front of the snake!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #1466
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
For those of you that have the space to put one of these up, it's very durable, UV protected, can be anchored securely to the ground, holds a heavy snow load (slides off most of the time) and is great protection for your Airstream. Mine has been through heavy snows, heavy winds etc... and is doing just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-.../dp/B000RL5FH0

Peter....it looks like you have the space for one of these.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #1467
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve but we don't get nearly as much snow as you do. I figure having the trailer exposed helps with finding leaks and weak links in the chain. I keep her plugged in, with breaks to let the batteries go down to 90% or so, and have a couple of those Dampp Chasers running, including a 36" unit under the bed. [see earlier posts here] With all the cabinets open, the inside keeps very fresh, especially with the sun streaming in on the street side. Some days I go out and pop the furnace on for an hour or two.

Spring is just around the corner!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #1468
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Bob I have not nor will I call JC I've given up on the idea especially as you rightly point out regarding the Fiamma bike rack; I can't open the rear window when our bikes are installed. We will continue to use the bike sponge handle bar grips and enjoy more camping trips. Life's too short.
I totally understand.

Bike on!

b
Old 01-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #1469
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
Love the suggestions I have received here on this site. Here is another question. What modifications have you made to the blinds by the dinette if any. Mine won't stay tight to the bottom of the window and if I try to tighten them up they pop out of the bottom bracket. I am thinking of epoxying magnates along the window then making shades/curtains with magnates to hold against the window. Anyone out there with any other suggestions.

Thanks
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:42 AM   #1470
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
Love the suggestions I have received here on this site. Here is another question. What modifications have you made to the blinds by the dinette if any. Mine won't stay tight to the bottom of the window and if I try to tighten them up they pop out of the bottom bracket. I am thinking of epoxying magnates along the window then making shades/curtains with magnates to hold against the window. Anyone out there with any other suggestions.

Thanks
I have not gotten over to the dinette yet, but did modify the blinds next to the fridge in the galley. Another forum member had suggested replacing the plastic clips at the bottom with magnets. Works very well. The only problem, if you will, is that it leaves the screw holes from the plastic clips exposed. You will have to decide if you are going to address that.

According to my notes, I purchase 1/2" diameter magnets and 1/2" I.D. 5/8 O.D. magnet cups at Rockler:
http://www.rockler.com/rare-earth-magnets-magnets

If there's interest, I'll see if I can get a picture or two.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 AM   #1471
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Our bottom brackets for the blinds must be aligned better, as they hold very well even on the road. Is there any L/R movement allowed of each bracket? (if the screw holes are a little large for instance) I will look when I have a chance.

You two have 2007/2008 Safari models. Could the plastic in the bottom clips be tired/brittle, resulting in them losing their "spring" to bend and then retain the ends of the blinds' bottom rails?

A photo might help, as I am starting to think there is a better bottom clip made now, or that replacing them might be a good first step? They are inexpensive if the link below is correct.

Is this what you have?

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...ck-of-2-201939

I think ours look like this but will check later.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #1472
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
That looks like the clip we have, but ours have never held particularly well. Popping loose on the road is an occasional issue for the dinette blinds, but I was actually getting more irritated by the times that the dinette and galley blinds would come loose because someone / something bumped into them.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #1473
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I didn't have a chance to look at the bottom clips for our blinds today, because I had to go get the license plates off of our tow vehicle van at the body shop. The insurance company has declared the van a total loss, due to the growing estimate of rear-end damage, now that the shop has been able to ascertain the hidden damage. A bummer for sure!

Back to the tow vehicle drawing board . . .

Peter

PS -- One thing I would try -- to "tighten up" the engagement of the blind's bottom rail into the clips -- would be to put a washer or two under the outboard end of each clip, in order to cant it toward the center of the window. this should help IMO without being too visible.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #1474
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
On the other hand Peter, it will be exciting to get back in the market especially knowing what you know now regarding performance and creature comforts that you and the other half will chose a perhaps more ideal for you guys tow vehicle. Good luck there are many exciting choices out there right now. Hope you're feeling better. I'm excited for you as to your next choice to tow your 20 footer, our Tahoe is 9 years old now but, it sure tows our 20 real good.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #1475
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Yes indeed, I appreciate that new door opening, but the expectation of having the van back in a couple of weeks is hard to shake off!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #1476
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
The good news is that you were not hurt and now able to walk thru that door. Good luck and have fun on your search.

Be safe. I hear our freezing rain & bad weather is heading east.

Bob
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #1477
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
My dinette window has curtains rather than blinds. The curtains are attached to tracks on the bottom and top. Only my bathroom and galley windows have blinds, which I pull up during travel.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #1478
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
For your amusement, here is our FC20 after the recent snow. All plugged in and waiting for the van to get out of the shop with the rear-end damage repaired. At least the days are getting longer!

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the pic Peter! Makes me miss our 20 even more. She is at Mystic Spring AS north of Pensacola, hopefully safe and sound.

We're heading out in two weeks, leaving the great white north for points south.

Regarding the blind clips; ours work fine holding the blinds tight until I forget and lean against them while lounging on the dinette. Pop-bang! Scares me every time!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #1479
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have a great trip, TCwheels!

Please remind me of the new tow vehicle you got recently, and are you happy with it? You may not have noticed a few posts back, but our insurance company decided to "total" our van after the hidden damage became clear, so we are looking for a new TV, perhaps a pickup, SUV or another van. I seem to recall a white Ford F150 or 250 you posted on another thread, as an accessory for the trailer or something like that?

Thanks.

Peter
Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #1480
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Have a great trip, TCwheels!

Please remind me of the new tow vehicle you got recently, and are you happy with it? You may not have noticed a few posts back, but our insurance company decided to "total" our van after the hidden damage became clear, so we are looking for a new TV, perhaps a pickup, SUV or another van. I seem to recall a white Ford F150 or 250 you posted on another thread, as an accessory for the trailer or something like that?

Thanks.

Peter

We changed our TV from the Lexus RX350 to a F150 Platinum. I'm very happy with the truck in terms of its comfort features and the increased volume of stuff we can carry. It has a built in brake controller and tow/haul mode selector with the tow package. I do believe the Lexus with its factory tow package is the better TV due to its much more advanced braking, suspension, and safety components. It just couldn't carry what we needed to carry.

In short, I recommend the F150 as a good FC20 hauler. For me, getting one with the Platinum package allowed me to keep my spouse in the life style to which she's grown accustomed. 😎

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484361025.601366.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	278116