Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Ducted air is only on 25' and longer.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
We joined you last Saturday. 2015 Flying Loud 20 is now in our driveway.

Going around getting on shelf liners, straightening "drunken leveling" from the factory and adding our glitter to this beast. I am really impressed with the next level hardware in this over our Sport. I just wish they took a little better care in the fit and finish on edges and stuff. But overall we are pretty happy with this. It is the floorplan we always wanted.

A few questions:

1) We have a dig on a wood corner. Anybody know of matching stain/pickeling or whatever matches this stuff?
2) What do y'all do for toilet paper holders?
3) Who the he-doubletoothpicks needs 30 keyhooks?
4) Anybody put in a second TV? Can you screw it in anywhere on the divider?
5) What possessed them to mount the magazine holder in my face? I am thinking about using the other end for my head. Maybe I'm supposed to, and just lay that way to read?

Show me some clevernesses here folks! Pictures earn extra points! Can I use these tires and rims at least for 1 season?
It took me a long time to remove all of the CYA warning stickers on my 20'. I stuck the important ones on the inside of the little pull out storage thing by the door, on the right near the floor. The important ones were the weights, tire specs etc, not the eco stickers telling you how green they are.

Is the dig from the factory? If so, it is a warrantee issue for them to solve, if you did it, I don't have a solution.

The factory TP holder is inside the lower cabinet under the sink. Useless location as you can't open the cabinet while you are on the toilet. I put an Ikea TP holder, mounted with double sticky tape, on the cabinet next to the toilet. The roll slips on and off vertically and can be easily removed when you are actually using the toilet.

I use the key hooks for a lot of things and am glad to have each and every one of them. You may find that to be true with use.

No idea about a second TV. I don't use the first one.

My magazine rack is mounted high enough so it is not in my face and works out just fine. Not sure where yours is of course.

I used the original tires and rims for one season, then went to 16" LTX's.

I removed the silly sliding divider between the bed and the dinette. There is no privacy in a 20' trailer in any event and the thing takes up space and is in the way. The extra 5" of space it takes up visually makes the trailer seem smaller. Much nicer without it.

I made numerous electrical changes to mine, pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries for more capacity, different converter/charger to replace the single stage Paralax unit, Tri Metric battery monitoring system, and a 200 watt solar system with MPPT charge controller. I also put a new smaller Morningstar Sine Wave inverter in and switching so it can feed the original inverter outlets. The original 1000 watt WFCO takes too much standby power, the Morningstar almost none.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Hi idroba. I quite agree about the divider and accordionslide in the 20. I plan to remove it from my 2007 Safari 20 along with some other planned changes.

Did you run into any tricky fasteners when you extracted yours. Love to know.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #124
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
The dig was in it before we got it. I prefer to do the small things like this myself because I am sure we will get more and I have little faith that they will repair it to my liking without keeping it the entire summer. Like the edges on the formica top on the fridge unit. Worst workmanship possible. I'll fix it myself later. Can't believe the factory does not use a fresh bit when the old one gets clogged with glue. Instead they burn the bearing through the edge finish. I'll sand the corners and find the laminate and buy a piece so sometime next winter I can fix it properly.

Love the idea about the divider. I'll look, but I never saw a tp holder.

If I lay my head on a pillow the Magazine holder is slightly higher than my head, but close enough I am gonna get rid of it unless we end up sleeping the other way which I think I will like better anyway. Particularly if I get rid of the accordian.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We sleep the other way. It's a little more open and don't feel enclosed.
TP holder on our 20 foot is located in the inside door under sink
Congratulations on your 20

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #126

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
Yup, youse guys are right. It's inside the door under the sink. Super! Now I gots paper! Awesome.

I'll look at removing the accordian tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Congrats!

Congratulations on your new 20'! And congrats on finding the TP holder - a very important middle of the night detail.
We sleep at the other end of bed to avoid the magazine rack and have a better view of the tv.
It's a great unit - enjoy!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearScream View Post
Hi idroba. I quite agree about the divider and accordionslide in the 20. I plan to remove it from my 2007 Safari 20 along with some other planned changes.

Did you run into any tricky fasteners when you extracted yours. Love to know.
In my 2014 FC the divider was held to the little side wall with about 5 wood screws which you can see if you push back the last fold where it attaches. The upper ceiling track was also put in with wood screws (yes, into the aluminum) which you can see if you look up into the track. The holes in the aluminum ceiling are quite small and can be drilled out to 1/8 inch and fake rivets put in the holes, or, you can do as I did and just leave them in the ceiling. Mine are virtually invisible with all the other rivets and reflections in the shiny metal.

Your somewhat older unit might be a little different from mine but I am sure you can figure it out. It is a worthwhile thing to remove. A cleaning of the shiny metal ceiling with windex removed the dirt/finish differences under the track and you cannot see where mine was at all now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
I actually like the divider...obviously in the minority! We might switch ends of the bed, but we love the LED reading lights at the "head" end.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 06-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #130
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
I love myFC 20'. It's exactly the right size for one person who likes to cook and a small dog. Still learning to gauge grey water tank, though. : )
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cac View Post
I love myFC 20'. It's exactly the right size for one person who likes to cook and a small dog. Still learning to gauge grey water tank, though. : )

Us too! Had our first experience last weekend using the shower pan as a visual aid for grey water tank level....we'll be watching the electronic monitor more closely from now on....😱

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #132

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
As I came out of a 16' Bambi I'll have to watch the Grey water as well. It will fill a lot slower...
Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #133
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Ducted air is only on 25' and longer.
Not any longer....currently I'm looking.

"Airstream 2016 Model Year Enhancements - Ducked Air 19, 20, 23"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-a-136071.html

"A presentation doc in pdf" (from the dealers meeting I guess)

http://www.coltonrv.com/wp-content/u...hancements.pdf
escaflowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #134
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
I had the shower tell ME when I had a 16' Bambi, Renderit and TCWheels! It was an unhappy notice, since it was a wet bath. Now with 20' Flying Cloud, I still take advantage of parks with showers when they're there! Dry camping, I do paper plates or dishes OUTSIDE in two
tubs that collapse into flat storage. : )
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
My philosophy is probably not the norm, but I have not used a campground shower since we got our 20. I'll lug water and use the blue-boy to empty the gray water, but I'm using my shower! That's part of my enjoyment of our awesome Airstream...

Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 AM   #136
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
We've dry camped on several occasions for several nights each time with our 20. Water discipline sure is important where the grey tank is concerned. One trick that has worked well for us is to use a dish pan whenever possible to catch sink water that would otherwise go down the drain. Empty it into the toilet instead since the black tank fills much more slowly.
Ty Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #137
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
20 footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Trainor View Post
We've dry camped on several occasions for several nights each time with our 20. Water discipline sure is important where the grey tank is concerned. One trick that has worked well for us is to use a dish pan whenever possible to catch sink water that would otherwise go down the drain. Empty it into the toilet instead since the black tank fills much more slowly.

Agree with this tip! Following our three month southwest winter trip this year we camped in over thirty different campgrounds with only a few with full hookups. Recently purchased Sea to Summit collapsible 10 liter sink to assist with water management understanding "kitchen water usage" is notable our main grey water producer. http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=1&o2=1&o3=194
The Sea to Summit sink has neat little carry handles for easy lifting and transporting to carry grey water to empty into the toilet. We are still considering a portable water caddy (blue boy) to lengthen number of camp nights without driving to dump but not yet convinced this addition is the answer since the majority of campgrounds we have stayed would have been very challenging to cart a full caddy to the dump. Even though they come in many sizes, storage of these units during travel is the main drawback.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I use an Oxygenics shower head. It uses half the water of the stock shower head.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #139

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
We use campground facilities for everything possible all the time. Showers, bathrooms, etc. Old tent campers so it is the "norm" for us. That way we don't have to concern ourselves with smells from the septic etc. We generally only use the throne for liquid waste. I like the idea of using the dishwater to toilet though. For us that will really extend a dry stay.

A subject I have not seen covered here, anybody out there have clever solutions to the toilet being set up for giants? I prefer my feet touching during loading patterns...
Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Speaking of dry camping; when filling the fresh water tank in the back of the trailer there is a lot of water that pours out while filling. I'm thinking of making some sort of bib so the water runs off over rear bumper onto the ground.
Does anyone have this problem while filling their fresh water tank? What are you using to prevent water from coming out while filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums