Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1361
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I guess we could segue to "Jim Bob" in preparation for your planned trip to the Midwest? You just had to mention BLT's I guess! Local tomatoes are on their last legs, and the cold snap we are getting tonight will be the end of it. Any left in your garden?

Good news about the PT! Have a good weekend.

Peter
I forgot to include that...it's a "Yo"

I went savaging yesterday but anything intact had severe black-spot. Rain is our issue and that arrived mid September. It's been hit & miss since. I pulled the plants and the mostly rotting fruit yesterday and they're in the green bin. We have about 6 or so we picked last weekend that I'm sure won't last the weekend.

Stay warm and have a good weekend as well.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #1362
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
Hey all,

Many thanks for all the advice. Took around 2 hours...study, study , review, study and then do. Works well - next year will be much easier. I do need a Hot water tank diverter as I use ~ 5 gallons of AF. More overkill for the first time...but rather be safe than sorry. Bob
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #1363
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaak View Post
Hey all,

Many thanks for all the advice. Took around 2 hours...study, study , review, study and then do. Works well - next year will be much easier. I do need a Hot water tank diverter as I use ~ 5 gallons of AF. More overkill for the first time...but rather be safe than sorry. Bob
Bob, Your's may be dfferent but re-check your manual. Mine shows a BP valve...bright yellow or green handle I'm color blind). See the picture....it looks like a gas valve on the white colored supply side. If you close it, it diverts the fluid up to the top WH connection and out the supply side (red) I presume there is some plumbing integral to the top connection that diverts the fluid to red as opposed to back in the tank

see screenshot of manual, page 8-17 of my manual. Note my setup has the supply coming from the left or rear of the trailer.

Good luck.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7818 (Small).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	274079  
Attached Files
File Type: docx WH BP valve from manual.docx (45.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #1364
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Bob, never mind. You're talking about the diverted valve to add the AF. Duh.

(Jim)Bob
Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #1365
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaak View Post
TC,

We spend 2 weeks each year at Traverse City East Bay...been going up there for 30 years. This being our first with our AS. Usually no other AS in the park but this year were greeted with some tincans (62 and 64 25 footers). Very much fun.!! Looking forward to joining a group and planning events. Bob

That's fantastic! Definitely message me before you come up next time and we'll connect!
Old 10-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #1366
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Get rid of your GYMs!

No tires should separate like this! Shame on Airstream for continuing to put these on their trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6621.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	690.7 KB
ID:	274211  
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #1367
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! You will find some agreement on this thread, although I am not sure you have a 20' model, which this thread focuses on. I have also posted a reply on a GYM Failure thread, where you might have a wider audience. [click on arrow in quote below to go there]

Thanks for the photo.

Peter

PS -- Edit maybe that is a 20-footer in your photo with the E150?

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! I have taken the liberty of replying on this GYM Failure thread, instead of on the 20-footer thread which is a fairly specialized thread focused on a particular model. I agree with your assessment and plan to upgrade soon.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #1368
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Seeing the above failure I wanted to share my research and thoughts. I've been researching this a lot lately and I'm currently leaning towards the Nokian's. I probably won't convert until late spring so have some more time for experience feedback.

One concern was if the Nokian Rotiivas LT235/75R 15 LRE @ 2760lbs. would fit in the 20's wheel well as opposed to the Mich's 225/75/16's

Phoenix provided a great post at #87 re both fit and experience in general

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post944334

Other threads some of which may have been possibly posted here elsewhere that have been seeing action of late...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...re-157341.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...-158463-2.html

posts 19,30,34,38.

My final 3 are. If I opt for the Mich's, it will be a flip of the coin (after reading Phoenix's thread above) as the ribs sound very durable and haven't been getting a lot of press at least here.

Nokians Rotiivas LT235/75R/15 116/113S 3 LRE rated a@ 2760 lbs
But also
Mich Def’s LTX M/S 225/75R16 LRE rated @2680 lbs
or
Mich Def’s XPS Ribs LT225/75R16 LRE rated @2680 lbs

If I go with the Nokian's, I basically swap the tires and no need for new Sendels. Also I get more weight capacity. Also considered was availability but WM now carries them @ 91/tire + MB etc. Pretty reasonable. America's tire too but a little more expensive

No questions the Mich's have a reputation but it appears comments so far in the above threads for the Nokian's have been positive. I'll monitor over the winter & spring and make the final decision pre-summer.

Happy winterizing everyone

bob
Old 10-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #1369
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob, we are probably headed in the same direction with the 15" Nokians soon. Easy and quick to get rid of the GYM's. The 16" discussion can always come in due course . . .

BTW I seem to recall reading that the Michelin Rib tires are more of a road tire for summer heat conditions, and that the compound gets harder in colder weather, with a resulting loss in pliability and traction. Maybe not the best choice for your neck of the woods? I remember posting a quote from the Michelin specs many months ago on this, but don't have time to find it now.

Our cold snap has continued with strong NW winds, so any quick trips to Hither Hills SP are probably off. We may get close to freezing tonight.

That 2011 post from Phoenix is quite a read! Thanks for digging that far back in the vaults.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 10-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #1370
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks Bob, we are probably headed in the same direction with the 15" Nokians soon. Easy and quick to get rid of the GYM's. The 16" discussion can always come in due course . . .

BTW I seem to recall reading that the Michelin Rib tires are more of a road tire for summer heat conditions, and that the compound gets harder in colder weather, with a resulting loss in pliability and traction. Maybe not the best choice for your neck of the woods? I remember posting a quote from the Michelin specs many months ago on this, but don't have time to find it now.

Our cold snap has continued with strong NW winds, so any quick trips to Hither Hills SP are probably off. We may get close to freezing tonight.

That 2011 post from Phoenix is quite a read! Thanks for digging that far back in the vaults.

Cheers,

Peter
Peter thanks. Good to know on the Ribs. I'll dig around and post. Certainty the LTX's are an excellent choice. Bummer on the temp and H/H's.....burrrrrritos for sure. It would have been nice to get that last one in the box.

For EUG rain in the forecast, but a sunny balmy 64...go figure. Temps are projected as moderate in EUG thru Nov (lowest of 43)...rain and temps above normal. Winterization not critical.

Started limited driving around town last Sunday Huge milestone!

Be well,
Bob
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #1371
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Bob and Peter.....thanks for posting about the Nokian's. I will follow with interest. On my 15 inch rims I have Tyron bands that are supposed to assist in the event of a blowout. I would hate to lose them if I were to change to 16" rims. Please do keep posting information regarding the Nokian's as you learn more.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #1372
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve, I'd be gad to. I googled the bands and just watched the video. Very interesting concept...new to me.

bob
Old 10-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #1373
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Bob - Apparently the big rigs, buses, police cars etc... in the U.S. have been using Tyron bands for years. I thought I would give them a try. They do give me a better sense of safety, especially when I have them paired up with a tire monitoring system as well. The only PITA is when you need to have a tire changed. You need to go somewhere that can work on a tire with Tyron bands. Fortunately, my nephew is in charge of a tire plant in my city and has the equipment. There is also a kit I carry for on the road repairs.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #1374
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Very interesting thanks Steve. A new concept to me. Coincidentally I am on the way to the local tire shop for tow vehicle snow tire research and Nokian swap info.. Will follow up here.

Peter
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #1375
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
MORGANTON , GA
Question Electric tool(s) for using Stabilizer Jacks

Hi!
I'd appreciate information from you experienced streamers! I'm a newbie and not a spring chicken also I recently had rotator cuff surgery so want to try to minimize stress on that area - so, I'd like not to have to manually crank the stabilizer jacks. What tools do you recommend using to use and then "un-use" the stabilizer jacks?
Thank you!!
pegmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #1376
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Peg you can use a cordless electric drill. All you need is an adapter to go from the drill's chuck to the correct size socket. If you already have a socket set, you should have the right size for the trailer's jacks [ours is 3/4" but check yours]. Depending on whether you have a 1/2" or 3/8" socket set, you should also buy (if needed) an extension to go from the drill adapter to the socket you use. A 6" extension should be fine IMO.

If you need to buy a socket set, I would go for a 1/2" drive, as it is heavier duty, and you can use the 1/2" "breaker bar" for the lug nuts/bolts on the trailer's wheels, followed by the 1/2" ratchet for quicker action.

How long ago was your surgery? I had both shoulders done many years ago, and they both are fine now!

Good luck.

Peter

PS -- Did you find out if the low pressure propane port will work with you dual 2000 gen setup? Curious for my own information. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #1377
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
MORGANTON , GA
Quote:
Peg you can use a cordless electric drill. All you need is an adapter to go from the drill's chuck to the correct size socket. If you already have a socket set, you should have the right size [ours is 3/4" but check yours]. Depending on whether you have a 1/2" or 3/8" socket set, you should also buy (if needed) an extension to go from the drill adapter to the socket you use. A 6" extension should be fine IMO.

If you need to buy a socket set, I would go for a 1/2" drive, as it is heavier duty, and you can use a 1/2" "breaker bar" for the lug nuts/bolts on the trailer's wheels, followed by the 1/2" ratchet for quicker action.

How long ago was your surgery? I had both shoulders done many years ago, and they both are fine now!

Good luck!

Peter
Thanks, Peter! My surgery was almost a year ago - have full range of motion but not the strength and endurance I need. Started PT again about a month ago. Glad you are "good as new", looking forward to being the same.

Regarding your response, I do not have a socket set - nor any of these items! I'm not "handy" have only myself to rely on for this. So, I will go shopping at Amazon ASAP based on what I learn here! Thanks again!

And, regarding the low pressure propane port - I was advised not to use it. My plan is to use one of my big tanks - remove it from the box and place it a distance away from my front "bedroom" to minimize the noise while I'm sleeping.
Peggy
Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #1378
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmurphy View Post
. . .
And, regarding the low pressure propane port - I was advised not to use it. My plan is to use one of my big tanks - remove it from the box and place it a distance away from my front "bedroom" to minimize the noise while I'm sleeping.
Peggy
Thanks, it will probably be easier to leave the tank in place, disconnect the trailer's line, and get longer hoses to enable putting the gen at the rear of the trailer. The hoses are easy to deal with, and come with their own little mini-ball-valve shut-offs. Ours is so quiet I have to set a timer to remind me to go back there to turn it off at the end of quiet hours. [edit -- see Post #1005 and my more recent posts for links to gen threads. Amazon is a good source for propane misc. parts, but your retailer can probably help set you up with a longer hose. We got 2 10' hoses with quick disconnects.]

My guess however, is that your gen may not be that noisy if you are running your A/C and have the windows closed?

PS -- Also I think a full 30# tank weighs more like 50-60 pounds.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #1379
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
MORGANTON , GA
Quote:
Thanks, it will probably be easier to leave the tank in place, disconnect the trailer's line, and get longer hoses to enable putting the gen at the rear of the trailer. The hoses are easy to deal with, and come with their own little mini-ball-valve shut-offs. Ours is so quiet I have to set a timer to remind me to go back there to turn it off at the end of quiet hours.

My guess however, is that your gen may not be that noisy if you are running your A/C and have the windows closed?

Stand by for more
Like your idea regarding longer hose! Just being proactive regarding planning for noise - haven't fired them up yet so don't know what to expect!
Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #1380
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Our local tire shop is not familiar with the Tyron Bands. I have emailed them for local installers.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Quote:
Very interesting thanks Steve. A new concept to me. Coincidentally I am on the way to the local tire shop for tow vehicle snow tire research and Nokian swap info.. Will follow up here.

Peter