Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #799
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
subfan1, I've never used this or a similar product but had in my mind more of a bed liner texture or maybe sheetrock texturing but with paint in the same can. Their website makes it sound more like a rubber like spray on membrane.

If I understand your project you wanted to seal the horizontal openings between the sheet metal and the 1/8" black steel stock, but didn't have any openings showing subfloor, is that correct?

It appears that it has a tendency to run...how long after the spray did it take to solidify? Any comments on your application would be appreciated. Did the label talk about suggested thickness?

It will be interesting to see how OTRA15's project goes.

I believe I have two very small bare spots showing sub floor. One about 1/4 X 1/2" and the other about 1/2" x 1/2". Initially I was thinking of this product to cover those gaps of sub floor and calling it good. I hadn't initially planned on sealing the 1/8 gap between the black steel and sheet metal.

However when I started looking at the gaps I started feeling...while I'm there....while I probably have the tire off... I might as well do the gaps, seams and depending on the coverage the whole wheel well.

Opening day has come and gone...time to go fishing.

Bob

Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #800
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Here are Youtube videos about Dometic refrigerator thermostat adjustment:

Marty, thanks for the links.

Seems it a little of both...move to the right if it isn't there already and up if you want it colder.

Plus in the comments section there are a lot of other useful links.

Bob

Old 04-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #801
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
CruizinDux,
"If I understand your project you wanted to seal the horizontal openings between the sheet metal and the 1/8" black steel stock, but didn't have any openings showing subfloor, is that correct?"
Yes that is correct. Lucky for me I dont have openings like you and Otra15. I wanted to ensure I don't have openings in the wheel wells to minimize dust getting in, as well as moisture when raining.
I found it hard to determine how much undercoating material in the can was coming out. It seems the stuff started to look thicker after a while. I am waiting to see what Otra15,s outcome was like as well.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #802
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Marty for the YouTube videos -- very helpful visual aids -- and ditto to Bob on the adjustments TBD.

Our thermistor setup (as pictured in Post 776) seems to have settled on good temps. in the fridge and freezer over the last 24+ hours. Will leave as-is until stocked with food, and used on the road again. "Slide up for colder" is the plan. [Edit -- BTW we are still on the 15 amp [50' #12 AWG] shore power from the house for winter storage, which handles the fridge fine, so no propane is being used. I forget the draw of the electric heating element, but it is quite low, like under 5 amps.]

Thanks subfan1 for the photo and feedback. The bedliner product I got may work a bit better for those long cracks you have, but some kind of caulk may work better? Difficult to get uniform access, and to control the flow from a tube of caulk IMO. Not sure if my bedliner product will offer any better sag-control, although a sample sprayed on vertical cardboard will be the quick tell . . .

With the trailer already up on 6x6 blocking, well-chocked on level ground, I hope to plug the sheet metal gaps today, and get a coat of bed liner over (only) the small areas of repair, not the entire wheel wheel. Tires will stay on. KISS. Will advise and post a photo or two. May not be pretty but it should be waterproof from road splashes, and more importantly it will be done for now!

Later . . .

Peter
Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #803
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
If it were me, in addition to the axle and other wheel blocking, I would also hook up the the TV, just to make sure there is no fwd/rev movement once on blocks.

Bob
"What the heck?" I said when I first read this, Bob.

"This is not the time to be watching television!"

I am still not used to the same acronym for tow vehicle . . .

A good suggestion although my driveway is very level and the trailer is well-chocked. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #804
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Got the wheel well repair done -- not the neatest work but it is watertight IMO. [you can enlarge each image]

Lay of the land with trailer up and chocked on 6x6's etc.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhWe WEST A 25 AOR 2016.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	261367

The exposed ply sub-floor masked off and ready for WEST thickened epoxy -- I neatened up the masking tape a little more:

Name:	WhWe WEST B 25 APR 2016.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	261368

WEST dark brown thickened 5-minute repair epoxy [50/50 mixing ratio] in hole in sheet metal -- I cleaned off that bugger on the lower right etc. next and then sprayed the bedliner, which acting like a thick paint -- good nozzle control and spray "fan" pattern from about 6" away:

Name:	WhWe WEST C 25 APR 2016.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	767.5 KB
ID:	261369

Bed liner sprayed over repair work in all four L/R corners, showing a little careless over-spray at the top in the middle. Haste makes waste! I enlarged this area of bedliner to catch some of the gaps which subfan1 had mentioned FYI :

Name:	WhWe WEST E 25 APR 2015.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	261370

The front two voids (L/R) needed WEST epoxy to fill the ply gaps. The rear two were so small, I figured the bedliner would do, as any water splashing up from the road would want to "fall down" naturally inside the wheel well by gravity. Also, the exposed crack and plywood edge were so small, it was very difficult to push epoxy up in them (upside down, and not on a hydraulic lift, nor with the tires removed).

I obviously sprayed too much bedliner on the bottom, where those globs are, but hopefully it will all stay together as one structure, and not peel off of the frame and wheel well sheet metal. It was cramped and hard to see what was going on with the spray, with the tires still on and lighting only so-so.

Done!

Now what is next on the list . . . ?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #805
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Dang It!!! Antenna Woes

Dang it.....I made a very stupid mistake yesterday. I was backing the Airstream into it's storage shelter and didn't pay attention to see that the door had slid down a bit on the storage shelter. It snagged the round tv antenna and snapped it off. It looks like there is a crack in the stem part and it's still connected to the cable. I was so mad at myself that I just quit for the day and went inside and pouted.

Anyway, I don't know if I can repair and re-attach the stem to whatever it attaches to or if I have to take it in for repairs or if I can put a new one up there myself.

Any input/advice is welcome
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #806
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sorry to hear this Steve. You might find better advice on a repair sub-forum, or perhaps an antenna one?

Maybe start a new thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/

Posting photos will help others to give you more accurate advice IMO.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 04-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #807
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Peter.....I hope to get the ladder out and climb up to take pictures this evening.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #808
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If it's just plastic, I'd try something like JB weld epoxy. Bummer that it snagged.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #809
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Those of you with a 20-foot Safari or Flying Cloud, if you have added a microwave oven, where do you keep it? Have you "installed" it by attaching it somewhere in the galley, or do you just put it on the floor while traveling, or something else? I want to get a modest microwave, but I'm starting to accumulate a lot of things that will travel on the floor, so I am looking for suggestions.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #810
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Sendel Tire Update:

Local OKC Discount Tire was able to order 3x Black T-03 Rims. Evidently, the silver are out of stock for at least 30 days and I wanted to get this done prior to the Alaska road trip (not to mention it will be significantly less expensive in Oklahoma vs Alaska). I saw a few pictures on the Sendel website but does anyone have any pictures of T-03 black rims on a 20 footer?

First storm day of the year is forecasted for this evening; expecting 4'' hail and 80mph gusts... if you're not in the tornado. Luckily, the 20 is in an enclosed storage unit....
Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #811
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The only single-axle AS photo I saw was on the Sendel site, so not sure if you have already seen this:

http://www.sendelwheel.com/sites/sen...stream%202.jpg

FWIW the link above was in Post #139 of the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-148274.html

which you have probably already seen.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #812
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The only single-axle AS photo I saw was on the Sendel site, so not sure if you have already seen this:

http://www.sendelwheel.com/sites/sen...stream%202.jpg

FWIW the link above was in Post #139 of the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-148274.html

which you have probably already seen.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks Peter!