Old 04-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #771
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Sendel rims are on backorder for 45-60 days from PerformancePlusTires.com... Unfortunately we'll be in Alaska by then; anyone have other sources?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #772
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
... BTW that piece of plastic that slides up and down on the coolant fins at the top right is the only "thermostat" on our unit. ....

Peter
OK, for the record as the manual is silent on this issue. You move it to the rightmost fin for colder and to the left for (no so) colder...correct?????

L to R as opposed to up down on the same fin.

My experience on the maiden was that the beverages weren't as cold as I was expecting as fast as I was expecting considering the bag of ice was frozen solid, so I called he dealer. He said move it to the right more...I was sliding it up and not getting any colder. Well it was already all the way to the right so I just needed to give it more time...anther day to stabilize and provide the frosty one I was hoping for... after 4 days I finally backed it off a fin maybe two (?) as a head of lettuce froze.

hmmm...seems to be pushing beer-thirty

Bob

Old 04-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #773
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Sendel rims are on backorder for 45-60 days from PerformancePlusTires.com... Unfortunately we'll be in Alaska by then; anyone have other sources?
Hey Waldo, we're penciling in an Alaska trip for '17. May I ask what mods you're making to the 20' if any(solar, batts, generator etc??)...and to the TV other than the 15>16's?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #774
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Hey Waldo, we're penciling in an Alaska trip for '17. May I ask what mods you're making to the 20' if any(solar, batts, generator etc??)...and to the TV other than the 15>16's?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Dux - We're actually moving back to Alaska full time. My wife and I met there 9 years ago and lived there until 2010. We moved to Florida, then Oklahoma and a job opportunity came up that I jumped on to get us back there full time. When we moved out in 2010 we tent camped from Anchorage all the way to Mt Rushmore before it was too hot and had to stay in hotels or with friends/family. This time we expect that it will be a bit more comfortable. Work gives me 11 days to get to Alaska from Oklahoma and I'll take some vacation with it to make a nice 30 day trip.

As we've just bought the FC20 we were planning to do minimal mods but were prioritizing safety then everything else. 16'' wheels and tires were first on the list.

After that it was kind of a create your own adventure. Thinking Trojan T105 with an upgraded 3 stage charger. A suitcase solar is possible as most of the places we'd camp are under cover and don't see the point in roof mounting solar if that's the case

We've got an SUV at the moment so a generator is out as we don't want to carry it in the passenger cabin...

A Oxygenics shower head might have to happen to stretch the limited fresh water tank a bit further.

Waldo
Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #775
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Waldo, that sounds like a great adventure. 10-4 on the 16's. It's top on my list for that trip as well. I need to get Milepost and get started on my reading/planning. I suspect time will fly by exploring the continental USA....and Alaska will be uon us.

Safe journey's

Bob
Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #776
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Bob, our Dometic fridge has the sliding "thermistor" (?) shown below, which can be slid up and down on the right fin. There is a blue triangular arrow/play symbol on the right side of the case (and looks like a hint of blue mark near the top of the slide?). This is the way it came from the factory, and the various threads here which mention this seem to agree +/- that it should be on the right fin. I did try sliding it up and down last fall, but don't recall any firm conclusions.

One thread about slide adjusting up for colder etc. :

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...nt-147010.html

We have accurate Taylor thermometers in the fridge and freezer at all times, as I have found that looking at them often is advisable, both at home and in the trailer.

I just turned the fridge on and will check back tomorrow. I put two large blocks of blue ice in there also, as it helps lower the temp more quickly. Also, I have read that one should never put warm items in the fridge. We pre-cool all beverages etc. in the tow vehicle's ice chest first. If needed in hot weather, I may even add a bag of ice to the fridge, as you seem to have done.

Once the fridge is at temperature and stable, it can take 24 hours for the system to stabilize again after moving the thermistor apparently. In a sense our AS Dometic fridges are more like a "keep cool" appliance than a "get it cold" unit IMO -- an acceptable compromise when backed up by a good ice chest. The next purchase for boondocking might be a Pelican or Yeti cooler for dry ice storage of frozen items.

Curious to hear how you make out on the trip, and whether you can get a handle on this temp. adjustment system.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 fridge thermistor 23 APR 2016.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	261201
Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #777
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
On the pump noise -- I loosely installed wall-to-wall "blankets" of the rolled blue jeans material shown below (dark side backing is up) over the pump, to check things out. The improvement is noticeable but still irritating that a better pump is not supplied. Not a diaphragm pump, but a variable speed screw-feed pump (if I have the terminology right). A lower GPM flow rate would be OK too. The pumps we have produce too much water too quickly (for our small trailer) which is what has led some to install an accumulator, which would not be necessary with a lower GPM pump. Larger trailers with 3-4 concurrent water users might need our pump, but not the FC20 IMO.

Gonna leave this as-is for now, but will have to make sure the pump room space under the blankets does not get too hot with the pump running in the summer. Leaks down there will obviously be an issue, as the blue jeans material is like a dry sponge. TBD in order to get to the next item on the To-do list!

Peter

PS -- Post 683 contains more info. on the blue jeans material. Rain today so no work on the wheel well sheet metal patch job after driving the trailer onto 6x6 pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 BJ pump 23 APR 2016.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	261202   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC20 pump BJ B 23 APR 2016.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	261203  

Old 04-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #778
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
I just got a call yesterday from our local Discount Tire to let me know that the Sendel wheel I ordered is ready. I asked them to order it on 3/22, so that does suggest that there is a shortage. Good luck finding wheels before your trip.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #779
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum waldosgone! Bummer about the Sendel back order. I would call the mfg. and see if they can locate some for you. Please follow up here, as we are considering the same upgrade. [edit -- thanks teagues for the update.]

Your Alaska move sounds great! Too much craziness down here below the line (49 degrees N. Latitude).

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #780
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Waldo, that sounds like a great adventure. 10-4 on the 16's. It's top on my list for that trip as well. I need to get Milepost and get started on my reading/planning. I suspect time will fly by exploring the continental USA....and Alaska will be uon us.

Safe journey's

Bob
Bob - I've driven the ALCAN/Cassiar highway twice and my wife has done it five times and couple words of advice.

Milepost is an invaluable tool on this trip but like any tool it's not 100% accurate. For example, when my wife and I drove south from Alaska in 2010 there was a town on the guidebook that had a gas station open 6 AM to 6 PM, 7 days a week. We pull into town at 1 PM and the gas station is literally shuttered. Posts dragged across the entrance and the windows were boarded up. It put us in a bit of a tight spot where we had to set out and ended up with less than 20 miles to go on our tank of fuel according to the on board trip computer before we pull into the next town. Our contract after that was we would fuel up at the next gas station after we hit 1/2 a tank. This worked well for us in our 2006 Toyota 4runner V8 and I expect we'll do the same on this trip town the FC20.

If you're interested I'm happy to share a couple of the places we tent camped... they were "boon docking" and if memory serves would be accessible with a 20 footer. Like anything else it may be useful to verify by walking before driving! As long as the land isn't private (typically marked with signs on trees) you can camp pretty much wherever. The locations would be latitude and longitude because my factory installed GPS could't get an address.

When I drove it the first time iPhone wasn't a think and driving back it won't be a thing again. There was little/no cell service in Northern British Columbia and certainly not in Yukon and most of Alaska. The larger towns would have it but the little places certainly did not. It'll be refreshing to get back to that which part of the reason for the move back to Alaska. You can speed up if you want but you can also go completely off the grid. My wife and I like relying on our own skills, ingenuity, and a fair bit of luck. We're not off the grid peppers but sometimes it's nice to "unplug."

If anyone has an questions I'd be happy to answer them or share our experiences along the way in a separate thread.

Jim
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #781
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I just got a call yesterday from our local Discount Tire to let me know that the Sendel wheel I ordered is ready. I asked them to order it on 3/22, so that does suggest that there is a shortage. Good luck finding wheels before your trip.
Thanks for the information. I called our Discount Tire (luckily there are about 10 in Oklahoma City) and they didn't have any in stock but were going to call the other locations and some of the stores in Texas to see if they could get them. If we can't get the larger rims I haven't seen much on upgraded 15'' tires. Anyone upgraded their tires only?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #782
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks to everyone again re: the valves. Arrived at the campground yesterday afternoon, filled the tank with water and everything is working well. I am using the pump for the first time as well and it doesn't seem noisy to me. I grew up camping and the sound of the pump is a "comfort" in the RV. I enjoyed reading the posts re: the thermostat in the refrigerator.....interesting way to adjust the temperature. So far, the fridge is keeping things cold just fine with the factory settings. It's cool in Colorado this morning and I used the heat pump to stay warm overnight. I am hoping to test the awning set up today. There are high winds forecasted for the afternoon, so will do that this morning. Going to test drive the shower in a few minutes.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #783
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I called our Discount Tire (luckily there are about 10 in Oklahoma City) and they didn't have any in stock but were going to call the other locations and some of the stores in Texas to see if they could get them. If we can't get the larger rims I haven't seen much on upgraded 15'' tires. Anyone upgraded their tires only?
The scuttlebutt seems to be that Michelin is moving away from the 15" to 16" in the load ratings we need [only 2 tires to carry 5000 gross weight plus margin of error]. In Post 641 I put links to a bunch of tire threads. I seem to recall the user switz and maybe idroba knowing about the 15 or 16" issues.

Good luck and thanks for any feedback on this issue. I could probably live with 15" Michelins if they are still available.

Peter
Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #784
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
. . . .
Going to test drive the shower in a few minutes.
Hope you are hooked up to a sewer, as our grey tanks are pretty small!

Glad you are on the road again and camping! I got my trailer up on the 6x6 pads OK, so the wheel well repair is next when it gets sunny again.