Old 04-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #757
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Peter! I knew there had to be another one accessible from somewhere on the outside. I will look for it this evening. I think I can feel one under the box by the water heater....couldn't get it to turn.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #758
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
On the stubborn low point drain by the water heater, if you have the "T" valve handle like mine (not round like Bob's), the end of the handle is probably facing forward when open (to the right as you look down at the back of the water heater). You should be able to get a small adjustable wrench on it to at least get it started. Or maybe some small needle-nose pliers? I forget what I used.

Once you break the plastic-to-plastic friction on the new valve, it moves fairly well. Mine had to rotate clock-wise 90 degrees to close, which means the end of the T-handle ended up facing toward the center of the trailer, away from the water heater, when closed. In my photo linked recently, it is the white end of this handle you can just barely see sticking out under the black box behind the water heater.

YMMV

Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #759
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks YMMV - I suspect that it's open then, I can't see anything sticking out and can barely get my hand down where it's at. I will try the 90 degree turn clockwise and see what I can do. If it's open, like I suspect, then it would close when I turn it the 90 degrees.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #760
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If you bought the FC20 new, then all the valves (low point and water tank drain) should be open, as winterized by the factory/dealer IMO.

You could always hook up the water and see where the big leaks are . . . !

Old 04-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #761
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I bought it in Tucson in February and brought it home to Denver. The dealer in Tucson opened up the drains and let all the water out. Since then it's been sitting with a space heater going when the weather is cold. I changed the water heater bypass when I got home....didn't know about the hot water shut off below the water heater but my space heater has kept that area warm. Now that I know where all the valves are, I should have fun figuring out what direction they are all pointed in tonight. Thanks so much for the input everyone!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #762
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Steve, if your hot LP drain (red) is in as far as mine was

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...127845-31.html

(# 23 on page 31 is a good view,) I would consider going back to the dealer. Mine was simply not accessible and binding on the bottom of the black box. I talked to JC and the dealer and they relocated them and installed a different style of valve. Mo Betta.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1760031 post 527

The new ones are 1/4 turn but flip on the end vs a thumb swing.

However in the mean time, you may fined it easier to unscrew the panels in the dinette to expose the WH. I found it easier (until the change) to lower the table, kneel on it facing the door so I could get my hand in there with sufficient leverage.

I expect you have the style of valve that Peter showed in 411 & 428 on age 30 and they are huge improvement from my double wing handle type.

[Peter your links sent me elsewhere]

Good Luck.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #763
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thank you for the clarification, but . . .

It has been my experience on the Internet that sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments do not translate well, generally speaking. Some authors follow such comments with an icon to warn that the words do not carry their "straight-up" meanings.

If the reader does not "get it" then the attempted humor backfires, as here. I appreciate the clarification.

I was about to chime in. Thanks Peter and Darrell.

Much appreciated.

Bob

p.s.

I summerized yesterday and all went well. Leaving for Beachside SP on Monday for 4 days.

I'll follow in a bit with the pump noise improvement and a few pics of the wheel well. I need to go back to look at the earlier photos for comparison, and download mine from today. If we're talking about the same area, they were more generous with my 1/4 horizontal plate than others....appears to disappear into the sheet metal as opposed to coming up an inch or two short like Peter's.

Bob
Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #764
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I enlarged the photo and it is definitely the plywood sub-floor cut-out around the wheel well sheet metal. You can actually see the plies inside the plywood. Whoever set that piece of plywood HAD to see daylight shining up through the hole. Argghhh . . .

Needless to say, this is probably NOT marine plywood. Hopefully it has an "X" rating for exterior use. If it is not exterior plywood, it is a major opening for rot to start, if it hasn't already. If I find any more chinks in the exterior armor, I may take it back to the dealer.

I would also be interested in a spray-gunk material, and will look for an thread about it. Here is the applicable sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/
Seems I need to pay more attention to what specific location & orientation of what I'm shooting. I think I'll re-do after I run them up on some blocks.

These are just a camera underneath pointed upwards. Looks like I do have some minor reveal.

32 is streetside & 35/36 are curbside

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8132 (Small).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	261144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8135 (Small).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	261145  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8136 (Small).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	261146  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #765
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
pump noise

Almost forgot...when initial pumping from FW I was disappointed in the pump room noise. However once the lines were all filled and purged of air and pressured up, the operation of faucets and toilet produced a much reduced pump noise....not what I would call quiet like the fan, but I'm liking the noise reduction. I think I'm done in this arena.

Bob

p.s. At the last minute I added a foam wrap (1/2" low density what a hard backing ) over the top/middle of the pump.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #766
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Bob for the wheel well photos -- yup same problem. I hope to get the trailer wheels up on 6x6's today, for better access to repair the sheet metal holes from underneath. Ideally the wheels would come off, in order to use the bed liner spray everywhere but that will have to wait. Closing the holes is #1.

Supposed to pick up the blue jeans sound dampening material later today. Will put some loosely in the pump room, and decide how far to take this project. Summer road trips beckon, and we can live with the pump as-is. The new foot pads I put on last Fall halped a lot.

Thanks for the heads up that my links were NG for the LP drain valves. Probably because I have toggled on "Newest Posts First" for viewing all threads. The links probably work under the usual "Oldest Post First" set-up. Will refer only by Post Number from now on. Good to know. Thanks.

Have a great trip! Photos appreciated.

Time to get OTRA16!

Peter

PS -- A little new music perhaps?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #767
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for the guidance on the valves, locations, opening/closing etc.... I found each of them last evening by using your directions and pictures. Can't thank you all enough!!

Here is another question. Today is the first time I opened the refrigerator since I brought the Airstream home from the dealer. Is there supposed to be a vegetable drawer in the refrigerator? I thought I would ask you folks before checking with the dealer.

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #768
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Thanks Bob for the wheel well photos -- yup same problem. I hope to get the trailer wheels up on 6x6's today, for better access to repair the sheet metal holes from underneath. Ideally the wheels would come off, in order to use the bed liner spray everywhere but that will have to wait. Closing the holes is #1.

Supposed to pick up the blue jeans sound dampening material later today. Will put some loosely in the pump room, and decide how far to take this project. Summer road trips beckon, and we can live with the pump as-is. The new foot pads I put on last Fall halped a lot.

Thanks for the heads up that my links were NG for the LP drain valves. Probably because I have toggled on "Newest Posts First" for viewing all threads. The links probably work under the usual "Oldest Post First" set-up. Will refer only by Post Number from now on. Good to know. Thanks.

{ no prob}
Have a great trip! Photos appreciated.

Time to get OTRA16!

Peter

PS -- A little new music perhaps?
agreed. I think I'll wait until after the BS and Orcas trip in June as there may be some warranty repairs that would be an incentive to take it in. It's more the time since the dealer is in town. Since it is so small an area, I may opt for some sealant/caulk like what was used when they penetrated the SF for the new LP drain @ the WH.

agreed again. I think the pump pad and hose separation is key.

You betchya on the pics. BTW congrats on the new grandchild.

Bob
Old 04-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #769
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Thanks to everyone for the guidance on the valves, locations, opening/closing etc....

.... Is there supposed to be a vegetable drawer in the refrigerator?

Thanks again!
Steve. BTW you mentioned the yellow bypass valve. I always leave it open as I only run air or water thru the vale/HWH and never winterize with the RV AF. Copious comments on this thread starting around late October/Nov as folks were scrambling on winterization before the first hard freeze.

As for the drawer, ours did not come with one. The next couple of trips we'll be evaluating the need, probably more to keep things in one place.

On our maiden voyage, we realized that there was a continual demand to move items around in the refer as food was consumed and replaced with leftovers/new food, often with different dimensions requiring some re- shuffling.

happy trails

Bob
Old 04-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #770
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
. . .
Is there supposed to be a vegetable drawer in the refrigerator? I thought I would ask you folks before checking with the dealer.

Thanks again!
No vegetable drawer in our 2014, Steve. Would clutter things up IMO -- a small covered plastic tub might work best. The bottom of the fridge is the coldest, however, so vegetables are probably better off on a higher shelf. BTW that piece of plastic that slides up and down on the coolant fins at the top right is the only "thermostat" on our unit. There is none on the face of the control panel FYI. Maybe you have a real thermostat like the larger/newer trailers?

Also we keep a cooler in the tow vehicle, and tend to keep loose stuff in there like lettuce, vegetables, spare ice, milk and so forth. In good weather the van cooler permits making early-morning coffee etc. over a portable butane burner on the campground table, without disturbing the missus. The cooler is also easier to access for cooking outdoors on a charcoal grill or over a fire.

Bob, thanks for the GC well-wishes!

Have a good weekend all.

Peter