Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 12:23 AM   #1061
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
This may be the rear kitchen escape window screen that would work.
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...29-mill-finish I would prefer that it be about $25 instead of the actual price, but it is worth considering.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #1062
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
This may be the rear kitchen escape window screen that would work.
http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...29-mill-finish I would prefer that it be about $25 instead of the actual price, but it is worth considering.

Marty, looking at my window pics, you should be able to remove the screen and take it to a screen shop or buy the roller tool and a couple ft of screen material and re-screen your self. This isn't something I focused on in the trailer but my picture appears to have the conventional seal to press into the groove.

I'm not sure why a complete frame is needed.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #1063
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
There is no screen at all on mine, so a frame is needed even if I install the screen material. The screen can't be fixed in place or that would prevent opening the window without tearing out the screen.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #1064
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
There is no screen at all on mine, so a frame is needed even if I install the screen material. The screen can't be fixed in place or that would prevent opening the window without tearing out the screen.

Marty, 10-4 now.

Your screen prospective frame looks like mine except I don't have the side slots for the push open handles. My latches (at least the bolts ) fit thru the frame, so to open I open I release the latch & turn to release the lock. The frame remains screwed to the wall. To remove the frame I suspect I may need to remove the latches probably from the other side of the screen, even considering the square openings.

I'm not sure how your windows lock/release so don't know how the screen addition would affect the latching.

Mine is not an emergency window. That is the rear dinette window.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7290 (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	265555  
Old 06-30-2016, 02:47 AM   #1065
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Trip update:
. . .
How's that Chinook wind doing way up north? I hope you got the converter noise sorted out, and are happily in Alaska! Have a good Fourth.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #1066
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob and Marty,

Adding to my recent Post 1055 -- there was a recent thread discussing adding the operating hardware to the rear window of a smaller trailer with a similar setup. Note that centenialman posted there in May about his 20':

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ow-148244.html

Note 50KIP's half-solution to add the hold-open arm on the curb side (with interior "knob" cut off), but having to go outside to put it in place. [screen frame not modified for operator arm to stick through. Not sure how this works without seeing it ???]

Another recent thread incl. a 6/28 post by subfan1: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...ow-148770.html

Here are some older ones:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...dow-32357.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...an-109336.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...dow-78355.html

And another 20-footer thread! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...ns-108152.html

We have put this project on the back burner, as the solution of going outside and removing the glass entirely works great!

Have a good Fourth of July weekend.

Peter
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #1067
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Could you keep us updated here on this project please? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I agree with you Jason, that's exactly what I intend to do with our back window. On the 20 footer, the bathroom wall is built over the right side of the window frame so I'm going to buy the parts and have someone router the left side of the frame and hopefully it will at least allow us to open and close the window similar to the rest of the windows in the trailer.
Good luck with your window
Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #1068
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
wow...you all are making this a huge project.

While I agree that there is a lot me model/hardware variance here allowing for a variety of solutions, I'm with subfan1's original post (listed by Peter above) .... KISS.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...ow-148770.html Post #8. I simply used pipe foam insulation instead of the bike handle, mainly because I already had a section that I use (used) to keep the door away from the top refer door.

Note too, I have the fiamma (sp?) bike rack and with bikes still on, can't open the window much anyway. I've found that a 5" section is more that sufficient to prop open the window and allow for flow, especially with the 2 FV fans open. Open the side window and you can't keep a match lit.

Note Peter's recent comment on the window removal. Seems mine need to be up past horizontal to disengage from the track, but you all should determine your own release point.

Eugene (Tracktown USA) weather has been great lately and will continue in the low 80. Olympic track trials are in town and we have tix for the first three days.

Everyone have a happy forth of July.

Bob
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #1069
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
wow...you all are making this a huge project.

While I agree that there is a lot me model/hardware variance here allowing for a variety of solutions, I'm with subfan1's original post (listed by Peter above) .... KISS.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...ow-148770.html Post #8. I simply used pipe foam insulation instead of the bike handle, mainly because I already had a section that I use (used) to keep the door away from the top refer door.

Note too, I have the fiamma (sp?) bike rack and with bikes still on, can't open the window much anyway. I've found that a 5" section is more that sufficient to prop open the window and allow for flow, especially with the 2 FV fans open. Open the side window and you can't keep a match lit.

Note Peter's recent comment on the window removal. Seems mine need to be up past horizontal to disengage from the track, but you all should determine your own release point.

Eugene (Tracktown USA) weather has been great lately and will continue in the low 80. Olympic track trials are in town and we have tix for the first three days.

Everyone have a happy forth of July.

Bob
Check that huge project...I was thinking of routing the bulkhead not the frame.

b
Old 07-02-2016, 03:22 AM   #1070
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
My guess is that the rear emergency exit window is intended not to be opened except as an emergency exit, such as in an accident when the trailer has flipped over on either side, so the door is impossible to open (against the ground) or extremely impractical to open (on top of a trailer laying on its road side). We are all hoping to use it as a regular window, but we may need to rethink that because it is designed to come off the trailer when opened, so people can crawl out, rather than to be swung out for ventilation.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #1071
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Good morning folks....so, in the continuing saga of my stereo system, I was watching TV last night and kept hearing static in the overhead speakers in the ceiling. The Clarion stereo still won't turn on. This morning when I turned on the ceiling lights, the TV kept losing the station it was on. When I shut off the light, the station came back on. Definitely a short or something somewhere. I called the Denver dealer a week ago (3 times). They said they could work me in and would get back with me. Never heard back from them. I sent an e-mail and they haven't responded to it either. Will need to get aggresive when I get back home so I can get all this fixed.

Meanwhile, I am camped down by the Colorado River in Western Colorado and enjoying the weekend. It has rained the past two days and we have sunshine this morning. There is another Airstream parked across from me that pulled in last evening. I will go over and greet them this morning.

I hope everyone enjoys their 4th!!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #1072
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Steve,

I recall another thread (now lost) where someone's wiring harness had a short in it that produced crazy results like you are having. Good luck with the dealer!

When you get a chance please post some photos of your campsite. Your recent one in the mountains was spectacular.

On the rear window with operators on your 2016, could you post a photo of that as well maybe? Also if you could give us a left-to-right dimension, so we can figure out if your screen trim (with holes for operator arms/handles) would work in our earlier units (even if it has to be trimmed down on the right). Maybe measure the centerline-to-centerline of the two operator knobs?

If your street-side operator, over the right sink, fits inside the backside of the shower wall, something is different IMO. Did they shrink your shower/bath a bit maybe? There could be room for that IMO. Maybe a L/R dimensnion of the clear space in the shower too, near to the back wall?

Or -- If your window is actually smaller than ours, that would be good to know. Because it is no longer an emergency exit, maybe this is the route AS took, for your 2016 model year?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Hope that you and everyone else has a great Fourth, as well. We stay home on this weekend and chill . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Good morning folks....so, in the continuing saga of my stereo system,
. . .
Definitely a short or something somewhere.
. . .
I hope everyone enjoys their 4th!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
On my 2016 FC 20, there are arms to hold the window open. I think this is the first year AS put them in on the rear window.
PS2 -- Marty, when AS hands us a lemon of a window, why not make lemonade? If anyone is trapped inside the trailer with the main entry door flat on the ground . . . forgive me but I do not see this as a predictable risk . . . maybe I am missing something?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #1073
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS2 -- Marty, when AS hands us a lemon of a window, why not make lemonade? If anyone is trapped inside the trailer with the main entry door flat on the ground . . . forgive me but I do not see this as a predictable risk . . . maybe I am missing something?
Peter - Every vehicle needs and escape route in case the main exit is blocked. I think that is the role of the rear window on my Safari, not ventilation.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #1074
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Agree but why not have both? [lemonade]

BTW all of our other windows allow exiting from inside even if the hardware limits the amount we can raise the window. In the two windows at the dinette, getting out would be easy. Just cut the screen and exit. Ditto for the front window if the plexi sun screen window is up. [yes, a big "if" granted]

I just don't see how a person could be trapped inside with the trailer rolled over, if people are not allowed to be in trailers underway? Did a mud slide roll the trailer over and the occupants did not see it coming?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #1075
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Here is a picture of where I am camped. The Colorado river is walking distance away and the Colorado National Monument is in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	James Robb Campground 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	265835  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #1076
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Here is another one from the front of the Airstream. Also a pic with my Airstream neighbors in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	James Robb Campground.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	265836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neighbors GJ.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	265837  

Old 07-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #1077
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
And...Peter, here is one with the kitchen window in the 2016 FC 20. You can see that the frame of the window is snug up against the bathroom wall. The window does open for ventilation. I don't have a tape measure with me, so, can measure the width this morning but will get it done for you and post it after the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitchen Window.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	265838  
Old 07-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #1078
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve for the photos incl. the window shot. I will check mine later and compare window vs. sink center lines. Look forward to your measurements when you have a chance.

Great campsite!

Peter
Old 07-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #1079
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Interestingly Steve the right edge of your screen panel also sneaks behind the shower wall, just like ours, but it looks like your window is an inch or two further to the left, relative to the sink center line. Sorry to load up the dimension requests, but if you also measure the L/R clear width inside the screen trim (to the outside of the rubber screen spline, that is), this dimension would be helpful.

Although we do not have room for the window operator arm/handle on the right, it is possible that a 2016 screen would fit in our 2014, with the right edge having to be trimmed a bit. This would be simpler than having to rout a new opening for the left operator arm/handle as subfan1 proposed.

Thanks again for your feedback when you have time next week.

Peter
Old 07-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #1080
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Absolutely Peter....I will measure for you and post. I may ask a neighbor for a tape measure while I am here. You are right, the trip does just barely go behind the bathroom wall and the handle is snug up against the bathroom...just about 1/4 inch clearance. It is easy, however to open the window.