Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #477
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Bob - Sounds like a thermostat setting issue. Double check that you don't have it set to "auto." In mine I believe the heat pump will come on before the furnace in that setting. Keep us posted!

We're leaving in less than two weeks - after digging the snow from in front of the garage - and heading south, so trailer heat is on mine mind too...

Old 01-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #478
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Bob - Sounds like a thermostat setting issue. Double check that you don't have it set to "auto." In mine I believe the heat pump will come on before the furnace in that setting. Keep us posted!

We're leaving in less than two weeks - after digging the snow from in front of the garage - and heading south, so trailer heat is on mine mind too...
Also Bob, not sure what the outside temp is, but I think the heat pump does not work below 40 F, but may mess up your diagnosis, so ditto to TCWheels to make sure you avoid the Auto setting on the stat.

Peter

Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #479
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Thanks guys. It is definitely on FURN although I cycle thru COOL, HP etc before get to FURN. I even turned it off at FURN so that would be my starting point. I suspect I accidentally programmed it trying to figure how to turn it on again. Reading the manual I noticed "factory reset" process. I'll probably start there.

Tonight is Pismo so I'll deal with it then. Maybe another streamer will be in the park. If not, Monday there is a dealer in Buelton an hour down 101 and can stop by on the way to Crystal Cove SP in Laguna Beach. Weather is already gettigm warmer...43 last night.

Bob
Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #480
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
[PS -- Exciting that you are On The Road Again. Troubles like this are bound to happen so I hope you are not bummed out! It is part of the adventure . .]

Thanks peter! I appreciate the words of encouragement. Started to head down that road, but stepped back. Certainty this is expected as my RV experience was a pop-top before this. This has been a huge learning curve. FYI prior (my first) winterization successful and no leaks to repair before this trip!!!!!

Currently have Furn heat and Eat a Peach ...Little Martha on the stereoat the moment.... Two huge milestones!

To back up....shore power, batts are topped off...and it worked the prior night in Tehama. Diagnosis kept circling back to operator error. I even disconnected the SP and the batts hoping for a reset, with no luck. I suspect as I was exploring the stat that I managed to reprogram it somehow. After re-reading and following the sequence for the umpteenth time...a went for the factory re-boot mentioned in the manual. Press Mode & Zone simultaneously until Init appears. I waited another minute, turned it on...mode sequence to FURN...bingo, fan fired....no cool. Way cool as they say.

Tomorrow we're heading for Crystal Cove (Laguna Beach) ...may not need the heat but good to know we'll be ready.

Reay...please keep posting on your stereo progress. Gotta be a simpler system out there.

Peter..Almost forgot...left Eugene...slipped "Road to Escondido"...and was immediately passed by a Volvo with San Diego Lic cover...then in another mile...a Jeep with an OB Flyer Decal...cosmic. The license cover...well... ok....the OB flyer decal....what are the odds?

Be well everyone and enjoy the snow on the east coast.

Bob
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #481
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Bob - Glad that you got it worked out. Sounds like your diagnosis was spot on. It's a wonder what "reset" will do.

Are you taking pics on your trip that you could post here? Your itinerary is inspiring!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #482
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Peter -

Can you repost or link to your pics of water heater bypass valve settings? I kick myself for not labeling the valves - which would be a small valve-added step they could do at the factory IMO - for both positions. I'm fairly confident that I got it right, but would prefer not to mess around with the valves too much when I get south and dewinterize. Thanks!

Darrell
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #483
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the good news all around Bob.

"Operator Error" -- hmm pretty familiar with that diagnosis here on the east coast as well. As we always reminded ourselves in construction, the measure of a good carpenter is not necessarily perfect work the first time, but perfect work after fixing one's boo-boos. Glad you have heat!

Sounds like the music and OB decal cosmicity (word?) helped usher in a good mood for the rest of the trip. Will check out the music later.

"Expect The Cosmic" !!!

Peter

PS -- Have you considered starting a new topic for your trip at the On The Road forum?

On The Road... - Airstream Forums

PS2 -- edit -- Ditto to TCwheels' suggestion about posting photos, Bob. In the interest of not cluttering up this thread (said the pot to the black kettle?), a new topic in the OTR forum would work great, and give you your first project for what will hopefully be the first of many trips!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #484
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Peter -

Can you repost or link to your pics of water heater bypass valve settings? I kick myself for not labeling the valves - which would be a small valve-added step they could do at the factory IMO - for both positions. I'm fairly confident that I got it right, but would prefer not to mess around with the valves too much when I get south and dewinterize. Thanks!

Darrell
Yes, factory labels would be a good "valve-added" step to be done at assembly!

I have not used my water heater bypass valve at all, as I did not want to introduce antifreeze into my plumbing system. Do you mean the low point hot and cold drain valves which are behind the water heater, and under the front dinette seat? Bob actually was the first to post about the awkward location of those valves, and I will look for the relevant posts and photos.

Stand by . . . Edit -- Bob's Post 423 started off the conversation about winterizing I think with photos. My Post 428 etc. followed with photos.

PS -- The good news about turning the plumbing back on, compared to winterizing, is that if you get a valve turned the wrong way, you will know immediately from a leak somewhere, or a lack of water coming out of a faucet, shower head, etc.. Amusing perhaps, but no damage to the trailer from a freeze-up.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #485
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS Darrell, Correction -- I just noticed the first photos start at Post 408.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #486
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
[snip]
Tomorrow we're heading for Crystal Cove (Laguna Beach) ...may not need the heat but good to know we'll be ready.
[snip]
Be well everyone and enjoy the snow on the east coast.

Bob
Hoping you can post some photos . . .

Have fun!

Peter
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #487
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
[Peter - Can you repost or link to your pics of water heater bypass valve settings? I kick myself for not labeling the valves - which would be a small valve-added step they could do at the factory IMO - for both positions. I'm fairly confident that I got it right, but would prefer not to mess around with the valves too much when I get south and dewinterize. Thanks!

Darrell]

just (almost) getting caught up. I had laptop issues before we left and the bandwidth in at Mission Bay RV is also inconsistent.

In my 408 pictures the white is the supply. It is the inboard line/LP valve. The outboard or curbside line in ours is red...it is the the one the dealer will replace with the thumb style like Peter's. Our mfd date 10-31-13 and we have the older style valves.

This red/white is also consistent with normal WH plumbing...supply enters lower than hot return. In the pic it shows enough of the winterization sticker to get the idea the closed is perpendicular. The image shows open (inline)

When I had the AS at the dealer to check my plumbing and swap out the two LP drains (under warranty since I couldn't operate the curbside valve easily) I also talked abut the low point in the supply line just before the WH connection....the discussion of 408...they agreed and not only swung the arm up to just short of level but at the other end...tilted is slight so it really was below the other end.

I forgot (both) my camera connections at home so will follow up with images then. I'll also look at the on the road area suggested by Peter and post some text ...pics to follow.

So far it's been, Pismo(1), Crysta Cove (2), Mission Bay RV resort (5). Next stop Jamala Beach just west of Lompoc.

I need to go back thru the thread as it seems I may have a bit le leakage at the bypass valve at the pump) as the fresh water seems to be filling up ever so slightly...presumable from the city water. I'm even using a 55-55 regulator.

Thanks again Peter and TC for the heater feedback. Heat is operational, refer with ice and beer sub 40 degrees. Tunes and the TV are also dialed in. Huston, all systems are go!

: )))

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Briscoe 2014 FC 20 LP Drains (Small).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	256534   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	256535  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WH (3) (Small).JPG
Views:	54
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	256536  
Old 01-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #488
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
[snip]
. . . Mission Bay RV resort . . .
[snip]
Houston, all systems are go!

: )))

Bob

Great news, and what a spot to spend the weekend! Amazing sunsets, right?

. . . [cue the Twilight Zone music] . . .

in January of 1996, 20 years ago, we spent a week across Mission Bay from you in our 25' AS during a 7-week round trip from NY to San Diego then Napa, and back. This was the PB campground I think.

http://www.campland.com/maps/technical-map.php

The NE had had a huge blizzard right after Christmas, which we missed and watched on the large TV screen of the mega-RV parked next to us in PB.

As we came west, which I described on another thread, we hit a blizzard in Amarillo TX and ended up cracking (during a hasty on-the-road winterization) a 90 elbow right at the bottom of the water heater. We did not discover this until turning on the water in PB. The slow leak flooded the carpet in the rear bedroom, and required removing the bed platform, carpet, and plumbing the next morning.

Fortunately there was a great hardware store open early -- on a Sunday as I recall -- which had the elbow AND the right size tap to clean out the female threads in the aluminum water heater, from which I had to carve out the cracked elbow, after it broke totally as I tried to back it out whole from the heater.

The hardware store was on or just south of Grand Ave., just north of our CG, in case you need one and it is still there. BTW is there an Orange Julius near you and I-5? Perhaps up near Garnet?

Oh, the telling takes me back . . . so many good times . . .

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Are you going to catch some waves? PB has lots of local shore breaks, and Windansea is just north a bit, as you know, but most of the breaks are probably really crowded? Pretty cold water too this time of year.

Or Swami's?

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4789/

PS edit -- Ace Hardware is the only one I see now, but the location is right.

1544 Grand Ave, San Diego, CA 92109

Sreet View:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...a92ffd!6m1!1e1
Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #489
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Large Thread

I read through a lot of the posts, so sorry if someone has already answered this, but, any regrets about a single axle vs a tandem? Also, what is the consensus on the best WD and SC system for the FC 20?

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #490
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Forgot to ask, anyone gone to 16" wheels and tires?

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote