Old 12-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #435
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
rims & tires

TCWheels and OTRA, thanks for the Sendel/Michlen discussion reminder. I got a little lost in the new Defender discussion today initiated by Rocinante. Ours wasnít on the dealerís/on hemarket that I could tell, but I suspect was in contract and fell through as we have extra canvas that I donít believe is OEM. We bought our í14 new this last May, so it sat somewhere for a year.

Like OTRA, I was thinking the battís were ill-treated and was considering as a first project the GC 6V conversion instead of OEM replacement but theyíre holding fine (disconnected) but I think our first upgrade will be the rims/tires.

In response to Mainestreamer, as I understand it, it is the blowout history of the Marathons as well as the higher weight capacity @ lower PSI of the Mich 16ís. Iím sure someone more knowledgeable than me, will chime in w/greater detail tomorrow.

Bob

Old 12-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #436
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks all -- regarding upgrades in general, as we all know Airstream does not supply a robust road-ready trailer with the best components any more. Not sure if they, or any other manufacturer, ever did. Upgrades are intended to replace the weak links in the chain, under controlled conditions, before they break under out-of-control conditions.

"Control your world or it will control you?" [ or some other stupid aphorism . . . ]

The other side of this upgrade equation is: "If it ain't broke don't fix it . . . "

I am picturing the following upgrades over the next year, before any major road trips in the fall and the next winter. [ CalDream17 ? ]

Tires
Switching to 16" MIchelins will make the trailer safer to drive with a full load over long distances, and at high temperatures like in the desert, in my opinion. A more aggressive tread will improve control in marginal weather. I think Michelin also makes an All-Terrain model in this size, as well as a Mud and Snow. Tread TBD. I have had lots of Michelins in the past and trust them. [links below for most references here]

The Centramatic balancers are new to me, but make sense also.

Slightly improved ground clearance with the 16's is a plus, but not determinative on its own.

Batteries/Charger/Converter/Solar
A longer term dream maybe a year or two out. As I said, my batteries seem to have been treated well at the dealer, so I will cross this bridge when some serious boondocking appears on the horizon. For the next year, I would rather enjoy the use of the tool we have, rather than introduce new variables with which I have no experience (especially solar).

Important to recognize a pipe dream for what it is at this stage of life IMO, and get On The Road Again sooner rather than later, as Bob mentioned.

Gravity-drain plumbing
After comparing the photos again, I think that, in contrast to Bob's cold water supply to the water heater, our set up does not have a similar problem low spot. This is really hard to talk about without looking at the pipes together in person, so I am simply going to agree that Bob may have to re-plumb his, or do the work-around he mentions each fall. A gravity drain plus 40 PSI air blow-out will work for us IMO. We will know for sure in the spring.

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, it is totally weird that our two trailers from the same 2014 year have such different plumbing configurations. No wonder Jackson Center has such quality control issues!

Conclusion
We can use the trailer as-is and have plenty of fun right now. Upgrades will come as our longer-term plans near fruition.

There is a great story from Zen Flesh, Zen Bones about a man tasting a strawberry at a crucial time in life . . .

"How sweet it tasted."

On The Road Again!

Links
Sendel: T03BM | Sendel Wheels
Michelin: LTX M/S tires | Michelin US
16" generally (and lots of other threads): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...-a-127087.html
Centramatics check short video at top right here: http://www.centramatic.com/videos.rhtml
ZFZB strawberry: http://www.graceguts.com/quotations/...d-a-strawberry

Old 12-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #437
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Batteries/Charger/Converter/Solar
A longer term dream maybe a year or two out. As I said, my batteries seem to have been treated well at the dealer, so I will cross this bridge when some serious boondocking appears on the horizon. For the next year, I would rather enjoy the use of the tool we have, rather than introduce new variables with which I have no experience

Peter - When you do your research on solar, please keep us posted. I know there's lots of good info and I've read every solar thread on the Forum, but it would helpful to know what you think. We're sticking with our Group 24 OEM batteries until they crap out and I have a pair of new Group 29s in the on deck circle on a four stage charger ready to go. I installed a 100 Watt Renology panel and 30 amp controller on our popup last year but am not going to touch an install on the 20! The plan is for 2 or 3 - 100 Watt panels with the appropriate solar controller and battery monitoring system. We'll add an inverter too as ours does not have one. I've read good things about a couple of sources for this work and may do a long distance camp/upgrade trip next year.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 AM   #438
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks TCwheels, my solar etc. thoughts are similar . . . will stay in touch on this. When you have a chance please confirm the M&S tread on your Michelins. Did you consider an All-Terrain tire by any chance? I am not sure if such a tread exists for our needs, as the Michelin site is not easy to navigate IMO, but would be interested to know if you came across a more aggressive tread when you made the switch. The A/T tires seem to be designed to handle gravel (read: boondocking IMO) roads better.

Thanks.

PS -- Here is the Defender tire thread Bob mentioned FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...xl-144555.html

TCwheels, did you also buy a 16" for the spare, and did it fit? Is there any reason not to use the existing 15" spare to "limp home" or is this penny wise pound foolish in your opinion?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #439
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks TCwheels, my solar etc. thoughts are similar . . . will stay in touch on this. When you have a chance please confirm the M&S tread on your Michelins. Did you consider an All-Terrain tire by any chance? I am not sure if such a tread exists for our needs, as the Michelin site is not easy to navigate IMO, but would be interested to know if you came across a more aggressive tread when you made the switch. The A/T tires seem to be designed to handle gravel (read: boondocking IMO) roads better.

TCwheels, did you also buy a 16" for the spare, and did it fit? Is there any reason not to use the existing 15" spare to "limp home" or is this penny wise pound foolish in your opinion?

I installed a new lift motor switch this weekend and, while at the AS, confirmed that I do indeed have the M&S tread. Definitely aggressive enough IMO, even for rugged boondocking. We'd love to join Ray Ecklund on one of his Rockdocking adventures out west and I would have no hesitation going with these tires.

We do have a 16" spare - it was the replacement wheel/tire combo that got us through our Spring adventure when we lost a new Sendel and Michelin on I-65. Jackson Center bent the bracket to hold the bigger spare when they did the other repairs. That said, I would not have a problem keeping the 15" spare had that been the situation. One would get a new tire ASAP if experiencing a flat, so temporarily driving on a 15" tire doesn't seem a big deal.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #440
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sounds good thanks for the quick reply.

Peter
Old 12-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- TCwheels, are you going to have to modify the battery box for the Group 29's mentioned earlier? Thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #442
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
PS -- TCwheels, are you going to have to modify the battery box for the Group 29's mentioned earlier? Thanks

From what I understand reading other threads about the change from Group 24s to 29s or 31s a battery box conversion is not actually necessary if one installs the batteries on the opposite orientation from stock.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #443
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Spent the weekend at San Clemente SB.
Hope all is well with you in Southern California. RichardW is currently in Oceanside, and has asked for CG suggestions, if you have any to make.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...gh-144775.html

Happy Holidays!

Peter
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #444
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Elijio State beach and/or Carlsbad State beach
Old 12-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #445
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Started working on the itinerary for the San Diego loop and we’re hoping to grab two nights at Crystal Cove (thanks subfan1 for the great referral!). The original plan was for 5 nights at Elijio SB or S Carlsbad SB as both would be close to SD…especially Elijio (Cardiff). Seems Elijio is closed for 2 weeks for water system repairs : (( and S Carlsbad which has limited hookup spaces, is booked. I suspect demand at both sites (w/ hookups) requires advance planning....ext time. Home base may be Silver Strand just S of Coronado. As long as it’s close to El Indio, and Dog Beach (OB Jetty) we’re good.

Peter check out the nice left tube in the Elijio brochure…..possibly one of your old haunts. Note the scale of the wave & the surfer heading out. Toto, I don’t think we’re at Swami’s any more… maybe not even SD County.

Wishing everyone and happy and healthy holiday season.

Bob
Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
[snip]
Peter check out the nice left tube in the Elijio brochure…..possibly one of your old haunts. Note the scale of the wave & the surfer heading out. Toto, I don’t think we’re at Swami’s any more… maybe not even SD County.

Wishing everyone and happy and healthy holiday season.

Bob
Thanks Bob,

At the top left here?

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/662/fi...pMap020415.pdf

Could be Windansea I guess. Too big and clean for a North San Diego County beach break, except under very limited conditions, at least according to my fading memory banks!

Probably just a stock photo they have on file.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
What is the benefit of increasing from 15 to 16-inch wheels?
The 15" Marathons are just about at their maximum carrying capacity on the single axel 20'. The 16" Michelins have a higher carrying capacity so the tires are not constantly being stressed to their maximum.

On our 20' with 15", I was constantly checking and adjusting the tire . Once I changed to 16" I found they never needed adjustment. It was probably the best upgrade I made.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
[At the top left here? ...yup
http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/662/fi...pMap020415.pdf

Could be Windansea I guess. Too big and clean for a North San Diego County beach break, except under very limited conditions, at least according to my fading memory banks!]

Windansea... not many lefts of significance on the coast and like you said "at least according to my fading memory banks!" For Sure. I hadn't really thought about it until I realized on out laptop the pdf is 50%...oh and that's not a fly in the pic. It just looked like an awesome wave, the I realized the scale.

Working on this loop planning, I wish I had firmed up dates and made some earlier reservations so could have stayed at Elijio, but I suspect the greater SD will be a repeater for us and there will be many more opportunities.

Bob