Old 11-11-2015, 04:36 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Bob for the report and tunes on the OTRA Music thread. I added some single songs on your theme, plus one recent number by Alan Jackson, Blue Ridge Mountain Song, which resonates with the Close Encounters of the Twentieth Kind happening in The Appalachians . . . phew . . . you guys . . . speechless here in the Northeast at the synchronicity . . .

Thanks for the weather report TCW. Sorry we are missing such incredible weather in the mountains. Maybe in the Spring . . .

Have fun in South Carolina -- hope your site is not flooded out. Gotta post the song Trains I MIssed . . . by Balsam Range about missed connections that lead to other routes home . . .

Here is that other thread -- feel free to post your favorite road (and other) songs!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html

Happy Trails to all !

Peter

Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Here is that thread on the Great Smoky Mountains area, in case you guys feel like chiming in there. I have been tracking it while planning for a Spring trip.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-a-142437.html

Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
. . .
FYI TCwheels, I am assuming you are in contact with the rally folks and know that your site #003 is not flooded, but that the rally has been cancelled?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1708840
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI TCwheels, I am assuming you are in contact with the rally folks and know that your site #003 is not flooded, but that the rally has been cancelled?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1708840

Sorry for the delayed reply. We just got us some good internet. (North Carolina vernacular...)

VERY bummed that the rally was cancelled! But we turned that lemon into lemonade by staying another three days in Asheville at this great campground and hiking more beautiful trails around the Blue Ridge Parkway.

OTRA - Thanks for the Alan Jackson song dedication! The cosmic connection was even more than you know. Stan and Lynn are really nice folks who we connected with immediately. We even made tentative plans to meet up north in Michigan in 2017 for the International Rally in Escanaba! Hope we'll see them before that.

One of the hikes got us to the top of Bald Mountain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447547506.028002.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	252063
Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #397
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks, glad things worked out. And a great photo! I posted that song Trains I Missed on the music thread -- the best part about being On the Road Again -- how the path ahead changes
all the time . . .

Safe home.

Peter
Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #398
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
From 28F in the mountains this morning to 68F and palm trees this afternoon...gotta love the Carolinas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447630771.268473.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	252159
Old 11-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
TC, still looking forward to my first NC visit, and still sharpening up on my east coast geography, but the campsite in the pic isn't the three days in Asheville at this great campground reference is it? I think NC need needs to be higher up on our bucket list.

bob
Old 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I think Bob that TC's recent photo is from the coast in maybe South Carolina?

Based on your comments here and on the music thread, I think you would like the East Coast. Like a mirror image of the West Coast, in a sense, with the main mountain range moved much closer to the ocean. Also, because of the differing geologic histories, on the East Coast the coastal areas have more low-lying sandy shores compared to the more typical rocky shore on the West Coast. Also the Appalachians are lower, and thus more approachable from an RV perspective IMO.

We live in an amazing country, and there is plenty to see without going abroad where the risks are rising more every year. Two coasts with an amazing heartland in between.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #401
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
TC, still looking forward to my first NC visit, and still sharpening up on my east coast geography, but the campsite in the pic isn't the three days in Asheville at this great campground reference is it? I think NC need needs to be higher up on our bucket list.

bob

OTRA is correct! This is Edisto Island State Park in coastal South Carolina about an hour south of Charleston. We went from the mountains of NC to the coast of SC.

We love traveling the coasts of Virginia, NC, SC, and Georgia. Beautiful camping, great folks, fascinating history, and good food. Can't beat that combination!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
TC & OTRA. Thanks for the site ID.I kinda figured as much...palm trees being the obvious tip off, since I knew it wasn’t San Diego.It also reminded me of our favorite Oregon coast site as Beachside SP (without the palm trees) which fronts on a 10 mile stretch of uncrowded beach...somewhat unusual to the normal CA/OR ruggedness. I’ll note Edisto Island.....and look forward to exploring the eastside.
Bob
Old 11-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
OT

Thanks. I have driven that coastal stretch of 101 on a road trip from San Diego to Vancouver BC and back. Isn't the USCG Heavy Weather training facility near there? [edit correction this school is on the WA coast] While driving along watching the ocean, I just happened to see, out of the corner of my eyes, one of their lifeboats drop in (surfing term) to a large swell and roll over.

Not knowing it was a CG vessel, I immediately pulled over to watch this apparent disaster unfold, where upon the lifeboat righted herself, turned around to punch back out through the breakers, and do it all over again!

Having been around power boats all my childhood, I was floored by the skill and dedication of the USCG crew then and evermore.

Remarkable . . .
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yeah, the USCG self-righting motor lifeboat is amazing, as is the crew. They are strapped in with a race-car style harness. They are much braver than I am.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:57 AM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

. . .
I’ll note Edisto Island.....and look forward to exploring the eastside.

Bob
Not sure if you noticed this thread from a month or so ago for your long-range planning:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...er-143282.html

The SC summer weather can be challenging though. The main thing you may notice about the entire East Coast is the humidity, which West-coasters often find oppressive. Sticking close to the actual coast, however, makes life easier with the sea breezes and swimming options.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #406
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1712927]Not sure if you noticed this thread from a month or so ago for your long-range planning:

Peter thanks for the link. I'll take a look and save the thread. We have had some humidity experience as we visit family in Wash Mo, but so far have had good timing. I'm sure our time will come as we explore.

bob