Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
We bought the 2014 Flying Cloud 20' FB Golden Night with leatherette dinette from Colonial Airstream NJ. We priced shopped with dealers in Ohio & Tennessee while also looking for gently used unit. The YouTube video from Hadocy is not the color we purchased but love the personalized video. No other dealer had the exact unit for the great price we finalized with Patrick. Here is the Hadocy video link for great walk through oh FC 20 C -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=aDR2w5B55rE
FCloud9
here's us 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 20C Small Camping Bambi Airstreams for Sale - YouTube right now we are thinking slip covers for the seat cushions . we have the fabric upholstery , which is nice but I tend to be messy eater ! I want to make nice aluminum supports for the back window . then to, this winter will be shopping for the "perfect" accessory's ,outdoor grill ,folding chairs etc.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
We bought our 20FC about a year before I retired, it's a 2012
We did weekend trips to the beaches in So Cal and Mammoth in the summers. My wife and I toured Calif last July and we had lots of fun knowing we didn't have to come home to jobs anymore! The month went by too fast. I then volunteered at Yosemite National Park for the month of Aug and had a blast. The trailer had a few issues but nothing big. I found that the axle needed alignment due to outer edge wear. Had it fixed and am looking for replacement tires. Just got back from Dersert Hot Springs soaking in the jacuzzis on the warm sun.
I have replaced all outside plastic parts with SS along with the Classic side marker bezels and added solar and bike rack.
Lots of fun!
Yosemite
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415901782.057914.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	881.7 KB
ID:	226422

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Mod's
16" Mich. and new Wheels.
Fantastic Fans/Temp/Rain Sense.
Max Air Cover over Front Fan in Bedroom.
Remove Bath Door. Install Curtain. Makes easier to get in while other person in kitchen. And Eliminate's "Capt." Hook. (Door knob.you get caught on.)
Locks to Battery,propane and spare tire.
Replace mattress with IKEA foam mattress.
Install all LED light's.
Replace water tank drain,with a brass valve.
Carry 15W solar panel.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
subfan1 , was thinking about changing the outside shower door ,is it a big job? it sticks out like a sore thumb .
Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
No changes made thus far except organizing gallery cabinets. We bought a 2000i generator this summer and still researching solar panels for off grid camping. Other minor accessories including expansion rods for refrigerator and medicine cabinet. Otherwise....nothing to mention on the forum.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi, no it's not a big job however, the shower box is too big to just slip in. I had to cut some aluminum then coated with clear coat before finishing. The water lines are very tight as well.
I called Airstream factory to let them know about fitment issues I had, I doubt anything was done though. It does look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Safari SE 20 footer which is the precursor to the FC20. Same layout and amenities. I upgraded from a 19' Safari and couldn't be happier. I absolutely love the layout of the 20. Big enough for us but small enough to fit almost anywhere.

I love that I can fit the 20 in sites that are made just for tents, and that I can pull it comfortably with my 2005 Toyota 4Runner V6. The 4Runner did great this past summer when we took a 5 week trip from Maine to Wyoming and many points in between.

I have made a number of modifications/improvements which I will list below. If any of you have any questions on any of these feel free to ask.
  • 16" Rims and LT Tires
  • Installed centramatics
  • Replaced stock Parallax Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter
  • Cell Phone / Data booster & external Antenna
  • Replaced all Interior & exterior lights to LEDs
  • Installed reverse switch on the Fantastic Vents
  • Installed Ultra Breeze Fan covers
  • Replaced noisy refrigerator Fan with a silent version
  • Installed a winterizing kit
  • Replaced plastic power inlet with Stainless steel model
  • Installed a Thetford Toilet Water Saver
  • Replaced water heater drain plug with a valve
  • Replaced Shower head with a Oxygenics BodySpa
  • Use a portable solar panel and small honda generator
  • Improved the mattress with a memory foam topper
  • Use a conventional "stinky slinky" most of the time but also use a Sewer Solution as a backup in difficult situations.
  • Plus many other small improvements inside and out.
This coming spring, I am planning on replacing the regular toilet with a composting toilet and using the black water tank as an extended grey water tank.

Lastly, I had a small accident this year backing up and ripped one of the awning support from the skin of the AS. I was able to repair it pretty inexpensively to the point that only I can see where the problem occurred. Would be happy to share what I did in this repair for anyone who finds themselves in this situation.

Looking forward to sharing info with you all.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
wow!!! we got a lot of 20 foot love here !! this is great !! I think I can get thru winter now that I have a place to obsess about the trailer . The mods you guys are listing is getting me worked up too! Jpons ,your refrigerator fan mod sounds good ,what kind did you put in ?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Jpons,
May I asked which solar system you installed? How many watts? What were the deciding factors for going with install vs. portable? We are in the decision phase for solar.
Many thanks,
FCloud9
Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
jpongs
where did you get the silent refrig fan and was it difficult to swith out?
where did you get your water heater valve..I just purchased a replacement drain plug, but I like your idea of a valve..were adjustments necessary or did it simply screw-in?
thanks

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
There is a long thread on this subject here on the forums.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...lly-11811.html

I purchased the replacement fan on Amazon for $13 including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to install and now almost completely silent. I have wanting to make a bracket and install a second fan to increase the efficiency but so far it has worked perfectly.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
wow!!! we got a lot of 20 foot love here !! this is great !! I think I can get thru winter now that I have a place to obsess about the trailer . The mods you guys are listing is getting me worked up too! Jpons ,your refrigerator fan mod sounds good ,what kind did you put in ?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Hi,

As I stated, I have a portable system, not an installed system. While a pain to carry, portable systems can be more efficient as you can easily point them towards the sun to maximize their efficiency. Also I can keep the AS in the shade, which I much prefer, and put the panel in a sunny spot.

I believe the panel I have is 55 watts. We are very conservative with our electricity use so if I have the panel in good sunlight it goes a long way in keeping our system topped off.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Jpons,
May I asked which solar system you installed? How many watts? What were the deciding factors for going with install vs. portable? We are in the decision phase for solar.
Many thanks,
FCloud9

Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Hi,

See my reply above about the fan.

This is the valve I installed on the water heater. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11703-Wa...o+heater+valve

I put on some Teflon tape on both threads to keep things nice and dry. This makes is much easier to drain the water heater. Simply open the valve and the pressure relief valve and the heater drains out.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
jpongs
where did you get the silent refrig fan and was it difficult to swith out?
where did you get your water heater valve..I just purchased a replacement drain plug, but I like your idea of a valve..were adjustments necessary or did it simply screw-in?
thanks

Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Hello everyone,

I have made a number of modifications/improvements which I will list below. If any of you have any questions on any of these feel free to ask.

[*]Replaced stock Parallax Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter
[*]Cell Phone / Data booster & external Antenna

-J

Can you share some info/pics on these? Thanks!

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I got most of the info I needed right here on the forum.

The installation of the PD4655 was one of the best upgrades I have done. Much better battery maintenance.

Lots of great information here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...er-114099.html
and here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post1478980

I bought my converter here:
4600 series Upgrade Kits

The replacement process took me a couple of hours. You don't need to be an electrical expert to do the installation, but being somewhat mechanical inclined helps a lot.

In addition to the converter I also installed a TriMetric electrical systems monitor to more accurately gauge my battery capacity and electrical usage.

Here is a link:
TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering

And here is some great info on the TriMetric

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ic-112278.html

In regards to the cell phone / data booster, I installed a Wilson Sleek 4G cradle Booster, you can buy them on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Sleek 4G - Vehicle Cellular Signal Booster for Single User - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

This thing is amazing specially when used with an external antenna like the Wilson Trucker Antenna:

Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics Dual Band 21.5 inc RV/Trucker Cellular Antenna Kit with Mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

I mounted the antenna to the TV antenna for a very flexible and custom look. With this combo sometimes will get 3 or 4 bar LTE signal on my iPhone when I would get a 2 or 3 bar 1x signal on the phone alone.

This is what I used as a guide to mount my antenna

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ml#post1418374

I have yet to drill through the roof to route the cable, somehow I can't bring myself to do it, so for the time being I am routing the cable through one of the dinette windows, not the best look, but I still have to summon the courage to drill into the AS.

I hope this helps!

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Can you share some info/pics on these? Thanks!
[*]Replaced stock Parallax Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter[*]Cell Phone / Data booster & external Antenna

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We REALLY liked our FC 20 ... noting wrong with it ... just got the 3' itch.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We REALLY liked our FC 20 ... noting wrong with it ... just got the 3' itch.
We just got our 20' and totally love it! But I keep looking at the 25' Eddie Bauer models - can't help it, it's a gorgeous unit! I love the tailored styling - beautiful - yet practical. And love the idea of the back door opening up. I'm making hubby crazy....
We will be sticking with our beloved 20', but you can't blame a person for "looking"!
Enjoy your EB.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Are any of the "20's" going to be at Canopener ? We are going to be there,and Grayton Beach before.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Canopener

Hi - I WISH we were heading south to the Canopener. It sounds like a great rally! Maybe next year...

We have our 20' put away in storage for the winter season and won't be taking it out until spring. We are hoping for a mild April.
Plans are to get down to Colonial Airstream in NJ for some warranty work - then sometime in May head off to Hilton Head with stops along the way to see some sites.

Have a super time at the rally!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Are any of the "20's" going to be at Canopener ? We are going to be there,and Grayton Beach before.

We would love to join the Canopener Rally folks with our new FC 20'....we are waiting for health reports before we can begin a snowbird flight. Also, keeping an eye on last minute cancellations.