Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks, Mazoolah, for starting this thread! It will be fun to chat and share stories with other 20 owners.

Our story is similar to others, except only one of us obsessed (yours truly) about getting an RV -- ANY RV. For three years, I read everything I could about the RV models (all motorhome classes and all kinds of trailer types). My partner would have none of it. Ignoring me outright at times.

He managed to deter me until the day I said, "want to look at Airstreams." That's all it took! I found four smaller sizes I thought would be good (16, 19, 20, 23) since we wanted to keep our TV at the SUV size because it's our only car and a daily driver. We looked closely at all four sizes, and we both fell in love with the 20. The layout is perfect for the two of us and a dog. We like the galley space and having a contained bathroom with a full shower. We've now owned ours (The Silver Savoy) for a year now. This was our first full season, and we managed to get out for 12 trips. They were mostly weekend/long weekend trips with a one-week long trip to Bar Harbor. We have NO regrets. It has been one of the best summers we've had in a long time!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Dave View Post
Thanks, Mazoolah, for starting this thread! It will be fun to chat and share stories with other 20 owners.

Our story is similar to others, except only one of us obsessed (yours truly) about getting an RV -- ANY RV. For three years, I read everything I could about the RV models (all motorhome classes and all kinds of trailer types). My partner would have none of it. Ignoring me outright at times.

He managed to deter me until the day I said, "want to look at Airstreams." That's all it took! I found four smaller sizes I thought would be good (16, 19, 20, 23) since we wanted to keep our TV at the SUV size because it's our only car and a daily driver. We looked closely at all four sizes, and we both fell in love with the 20. The layout is perfect for the two of us and a dog. We like the galley space and having a contained bathroom with a full shower. We've now owned ours (The Silver Savoy) for a year now. This was our first full season, and we managed to get out for 12 trips. They were mostly weekend/long weekend trips with a one-week long trip to Bar Harbor. We have NO regrets. It has been one of the best summers we've had in a long time!

"Silver Savoy" What a great name!

Just noticed, last night, that the road immediately before we turn into our storage location is called Silver Hawk....hmmmm

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367

Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Great thread started! Thanks Mazoolah (aka DH).
I can't believe how similar our 20' search was to Ukulele 2010's journey plus all the other folks posted here.

We talked about getting an airstream "some day" for 15 years. Hubby bought me a book with pictures & floor plans and I'd fall asleep reading it - dreaming of the day... The book isn't very big so it was reread many times!
We thought we wanted vintage, but then realized that would be a huge project way beyond our skills set and wallet. We also thought we wanted 19'. Checking out several units at various times and coming close on a couple private deals ended up new at Colonial. Never thought in a million years we'd be buying new - but it worked out for us to so.

And like Ukulele mentions - surprisingly some folks have made some judgements as to what kind of person I am based on our purchase. But most folks are very excited for us!

We have only gotten to take it out 3 times this season as we purchased in July. Looking forward to planning for next year and meeting some other Streamers!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hello Fellow FC 20',
Mazoolah, thank you for initiating this thread! Your timing could not have been better, especially since many of us are suffering from the post plumbing the "pink stuff" disorder! You are spot on about the Goldilocks thing, as I believe I actually mentioned we did this on our two pre-purchase visits to Colonial Airstream.
We always admired the Bambi TT and had hoped the smallest of trailers would be satisfactory, however, the FC 20' FB felt "just right" for the two of us and our little pup.

We must have trotted through nearly 12-15 different models during our decision making in addition to watching countless YouTube videos. Another dealer in Ohio even made a personalized video for me as a kind gesture during our shopping period. Ultimately, we were very pleased we our experience at Colonial.

After our first season this summer camped 5 trips in 4 states for total 25 nights at State Parks with 12 consecutive nights without hookups. Despite less than optimal weather, we really enjoyed our first season. Since we constructed a driveway extension to serve as a Flying Cloud "landing pad", we can look at our FC while enjoying the warmth of our indoor fireplace while we plan the next adventures.
I think I watched the you tube video of your trailer a 100 times before I found the vid of ours ! I'm keeping the link on my desk top to get me thru the winter ,wish I knew how to save it off you tube . We are jealous of your landing pad ,so much so that we are looking for a new house thats rv friendly !
Old 11-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We bought the 2014 Flying Cloud 20' FB Golden Night with leatherette dinette from Colonial Airstream NJ. We priced shopped with dealers in Ohio & Tennessee while also looking for gently used unit. The YouTube video from Hadocy is not the color we purchased but love the personalized video. No other dealer had the exact unit for the great price we finalized with Patrick. Here is the Hadocy video link for great walk through oh FC 20 C -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=aDR2w5B55rE
FCloud9
Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
So our 2011 is dead stock. What mods have ya'll made?...I'm ready to embark on continuous improvement!

WBCCI #7246
AIR #91367
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
We bought the 2014 Flying Cloud 20' FB Golden Night with leatherette dinette from Colonial Airstream NJ. We priced shopped with dealers in Ohio & Tennessee while also looking for gently used unit. The YouTube video from Hadocy is not the color we purchased but love the personalized video. No other dealer had the exact unit for the great price we finalized with Patrick. Here is the Hadocy video link for great walk through oh FC 20 C -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=aDR2w5B55rE
FCloud9
here's us 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 20C Small Camping Bambi Airstreams for Sale - YouTube right now we are thinking slip covers for the seat cushions . we have the fabric upholstery , which is nice but I tend to be messy eater ! I want to make nice aluminum supports for the back window . then to, this winter will be shopping for the "perfect" accessory's ,outdoor grill ,folding chairs etc.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
We bought our 20FC about a year before I retired, it's a 2012
We did weekend trips to the beaches in So Cal and Mammoth in the summers. My wife and I toured Calif last July and we had lots of fun knowing we didn't have to come home to jobs anymore! The month went by too fast. I then volunteered at Yosemite National Park for the month of Aug and had a blast. The trailer had a few issues but nothing big. I found that the axle needed alignment due to outer edge wear. Had it fixed and am looking for replacement tires. Just got back from Dersert Hot Springs soaking in the jacuzzis on the warm sun.
I have replaced all outside plastic parts with SS along with the Classic side marker bezels and added solar and bike rack.
Lots of fun!
Yosemite
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415901782.057914.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	881.7 KB
ID:	226422

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Mod's
16" Mich. and new Wheels.
Fantastic Fans/Temp/Rain Sense.
Max Air Cover over Front Fan in Bedroom.
Remove Bath Door. Install Curtain. Makes easier to get in while other person in kitchen. And Eliminate's "Capt." Hook. (Door knob.you get caught on.)
Locks to Battery,propane and spare tire.
Replace mattress with IKEA foam mattress.
Install all LED light's.
Replace water tank drain,with a brass valve.
Carry 15W solar panel.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
subfan1 , was thinking about changing the outside shower door ,is it a big job? it sticks out like a sore thumb .
Old 11-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
No changes made thus far except organizing gallery cabinets. We bought a 2000i generator this summer and still researching solar panels for off grid camping. Other minor accessories including expansion rods for refrigerator and medicine cabinet. Otherwise....nothing to mention on the forum.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Hi, no it's not a big job however, the shower box is too big to just slip in. I had to cut some aluminum then coated with clear coat before finishing. The water lines are very tight as well.
I called Airstream factory to let them know about fitment issues I had, I doubt anything was done though. It does look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Safari SE 20 footer which is the precursor to the FC20. Same layout and amenities. I upgraded from a 19' Safari and couldn't be happier. I absolutely love the layout of the 20. Big enough for us but small enough to fit almost anywhere.

I love that I can fit the 20 in sites that are made just for tents, and that I can pull it comfortably with my 2005 Toyota 4Runner V6. The 4Runner did great this past summer when we took a 5 week trip from Maine to Wyoming and many points in between.

I have made a number of modifications/improvements which I will list below. If any of you have any questions on any of these feel free to ask.
  • 16" Rims and LT Tires
  • Installed centramatics
  • Replaced stock Parallax Converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Converter
  • Cell Phone / Data booster & external Antenna
  • Replaced all Interior & exterior lights to LEDs
  • Installed reverse switch on the Fantastic Vents
  • Installed Ultra Breeze Fan covers
  • Replaced noisy refrigerator Fan with a silent version
  • Installed a winterizing kit
  • Replaced plastic power inlet with Stainless steel model
  • Installed a Thetford Toilet Water Saver
  • Replaced water heater drain plug with a valve
  • Replaced Shower head with a Oxygenics BodySpa
  • Use a portable solar panel and small honda generator
  • Improved the mattress with a memory foam topper
  • Use a conventional "stinky slinky" most of the time but also use a Sewer Solution as a backup in difficult situations.
  • Plus many other small improvements inside and out.
This coming spring, I am planning on replacing the regular toilet with a composting toilet and using the black water tank as an extended grey water tank.

Lastly, I had a small accident this year backing up and ripped one of the awning support from the skin of the AS. I was able to repair it pretty inexpensively to the point that only I can see where the problem occurred. Would be happy to share what I did in this repair for anyone who finds themselves in this situation.

Looking forward to sharing info with you all.

-J
Old 11-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
wow!!! we got a lot of 20 foot love here !! this is great !! I think I can get thru winter now that I have a place to obsess about the trailer . The mods you guys are listing is getting me worked up too! Jpons ,your refrigerator fan mod sounds good ,what kind did you put in ?