Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #239
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I use foam bike handles and I cut out slits on one end to prop the window open. This is so if a gust of wind kicks up and blows the bike handles off, it won't scratch or dent the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Love it! We are - as are so many other like minded 20 owners - using the wooden spoon. But the foam tubes are a great idea! We'll be switching.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
It appears that AS moved the rear window to the curb side because to the right of my window frame, from the inside, the frame is hidden by the shower wall as stated above. On The 16 models you are able to see the frame and screws on the right side. It appears I won't be able to retrofit the hardware to allow the window to open

You know, I was checking out my 2014 FC20 during a quiet weekend in PA bringing her back home, and I got to wondering if this solution would work [as viewed from the inside standing at the sinks] ---

It appears that the rear glass is already drilled for the operator arm base plates, and the holes are plugged. I assume that these holes are in the same relationship (left-to-right) to the aluminum window jamb as the 2016 units, so that an operating arm assembly could be mounted to the left window jamb and window glass [ignoring the interior trim piece for now].

subfan1, is this possible [at least as far as I have sketched out this solution so far?]

Next, it appears that the interior trim can be removed from the inside, as the right-hand face plate screws have indeed been omitted in my 2014 model. This makes sense for screen replacement etc..

If the interior trim CAN be removed, a slot for the left operator interior handle could then be machined into it on the left only. Or a new 2016 interior trim with slots in both sides could be installed. Bug intrusion through the right slot for the missing operator handle could be dealt with in some way . . .

subfan1, would the dimensions work out to swap in a new 2016 interior trim in your opinion? I don't have a new model to check nearby.

The window unit is pretty small, so it seems to me that having support from one operator on the left would be enough, and would enable opening and closing the window from the inside.

Whether this would work all depends on the left-to-right (and up and down) dimensions being fairly similar. Even if the 2016 window is smaller in width, as long as the crucial dimensions are compatible, this could work out IMO.

I will check with my dealer's parts guy if this seems do-able. Wooden spoons are difficult to place and remove in the pouring rain!

All thoughts welcome . . . thanks.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 PM   #241
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Otra15 I was thinking the same thing. Using only the one side of the hardware to open the window. The issue with our 12 is that the 2 screws to the right of the frame are hidden behind the shower wall so I stopped thinking about the mod.
Are you thinking there are no screws on the right side of the frame?

Old 09-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I looked last night with a flashlight on my 2014. There are no screws holding on the interior trim on the right side. Please look at yours, but I doubt if AS would have covered any right side screws with the bath wall, as that would have been out of sequence in the plant assembly process IMO. [walls precede interior trim, generally] Plus how would you repair the screen (easily), and have access to the handles at the bottom which turn, in case they needed to be repaired/replaced?

Do you have the screws on the right under the edge of the shower wall?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #243
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Wooden spoons are difficult to place and remove in the pouring rain!

All thoughts welcome . . . thanks.

Well, maybe difficult to place and remove in the pouring rain while staying dry!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #244
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I looked again Otra15 after you suggested and it appears that there are no screws on the right side of the window frame. I now think if we can somehow order only the left side window hardware and open the slot on the left side of the frame, it might work.
Are you moving forward with this mod?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
When I get back home I will do some careful measuring and talk to my dealer's shop. [see end of Post #240 re: crucial L/R dimensions.].' Need to confirm 2016 left operator arm assembly will fit 2014 window jamb, and that baseplate for glass will align with existing holes. I don't have access to a 2016 model, so subfan1 if you do, you could confirm the comparability of parts.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #246
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Sorry I don't. Like you, I saw the same photos you saw on colonials web site

Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
We recently purchased a new 2014 FC20 Bambi and stumbled on this thread. Looking forward to reading all 18 pages.

B
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #248
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
20-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
We recently purchased a new 2014 FC20 Bambi and stumbled on this thread. Looking forward to reading all 18 pages.

B

CruizinDux welcome to the Airstream Forum and especially a warm welcome to the "FC 20 footer" crowd!
You are really going to enjoy your adventures especially after retirement.
We have been pleasantly surprised how much fun traveling without reservations and taking your time with open ended time frames in our FC 20'. Our compact size has the big benefit of fitting almost anywhere.
Welcome and enjoy the adventures that await you,
FCloud9
Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #249
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome CruizinDux! We have the same model year FC20 so I will be curious to know if your refrigerator fan continues to work [see recent posts].

Another minor problem is that the sparker on my LP gas range stopped working about a week after I picked up my unit. The dealer is going to send a replacement.

Lastly, I assume that your window over the galley sinks also does not have the operator arm to hold it up, like a few other folks here. If we can confirm the measurements, perhaps the solution of adding the left (from inside -- the curb side) operator will benefit us all. TBD
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #250
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Thanks everyone for the greetings. May your blue highways adventures be safe and abundant.

OTRA15, I started reading the thread and did see the discussion and everyone's workarounds re the galley sink window. The next time we're inside, I'll take a closer look.

Bob
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

B

Welcome! Glad you found the 20 thread. Lots of fun and informative discussions in these pages! Please post a pic of your rig when you get a chance. I'm thrilled to see other 20s!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:22 AM   #252
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Time for more pics! Please post something from your summer adventures.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1442906538.072125.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	248715