Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks teagues. My new Ford 2015 Transit recommends not using a WD hitch, as it has built-in sway control, but obviously has no weight distribution system of its own. Other new Transit owners report good towing experiences with and without added WD and sway control. I used to have a 25' AS with a Reese WD set up, which resulted in a ride similar to your description.

Have you ever towed your 20' without using the WD system? I am considering a new FC20, and might bring her back from the dealer without WD to see if the new Transit handles it OK. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #226
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you ever towed your 20' without using the WD system? I am considering a new FC20, and might bring her back from the dealer without WD to see if the new Transit handles it OK. Any thoughts?
Never on purpose. Twice, though, I've arrived at a stop to discover that one of the WD arms had freed itself from the bracket on the frame. In both cases, I think I made a very sharp turn or backing maneuver that might have caused that. Nether time had I noticed that the trailer handled differently while I was driving. It was only when I walked by the hitch that I discovered the problem. I have no idea how that should have affected the WD or sway control, but I am sure that it would not improve either.

(I am ordering their new design brackets soon, which I think might prevent that from happening again in the future.)

If I had a newer truck with built-in trailer sway control, and if I did not already own the hitch I have, I'd certainly consider a cheaper/simpler hitch. Nothing against Equalizer, but if you don't need to spend the money...

Old 08-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Appreciate your input. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #228
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Hi 20 footers. Has anyone noticed that the 2016 models have the hardware in the rear window now that allows that window to stay opened like our side windows?
I'd like to know if I can retro fit my 2012 with the new hardware. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #229
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hi 20 footers. Has anyone noticed that the 2016 models have the hardware in the rear window now that allows that window to stay opened like our side windows?
I'd like to know if I can retro fit my 2012 with the new hardware. What do you all think?

I would do it. No hardware equals really stupid design.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #230
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I believe the absence of hold-open hardware in the previous model years was due to fire egress requirements (to avoid having the hardware hinder a quick exit in an emergency). At least that was what a (knowledgeable) salesman told me years ago. Perhaps the laws have changed, or Airstream was able to have the new design certified as complying with the law? TBD.

subfan1, have you seen the new hardware in person and compared it to yours? Maybe ALL the 2016 operating hardware is different, at least by some small design element . . .

I am going to be at a dealer this week, and will ask about this. Thanks for the heads up.

PS -- Note that in photos from older models, the handles at the bottom of the galley window were red, indicating a fire exit unit.

Note red handles here in this 2011 unit:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/air.../images/11.jpg

And red handles at the dinette left window in this 2016 FC20:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/201.../images/12.jpg
Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #231
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
Emergency exit

Glad to see the window has changed. No way I could get out of the galley one!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #232
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I believe the absence of hold-open hardware in the previous model years was due to fire egress requirements (to avoid having the hardware hinder a quick exit in an emergency). At least that was what a (knowledgeable) salesman told me years ago. Perhaps the laws have changed, or Airstream was able to have the new design certified as complying with the law? TBD.

subfan1, have you seen the new hardware in person and compared it to yours? Maybe ALL the 2016 operating hardware is different, at least by some small design element . . .

I am going to be at a dealer this week, and will ask about this. Thanks for the heads up.

PS -- Note that in photos from older models, the handles at the bottom of the galley window were red, indicating a fire exit unit.

Note red handles here in this 2011 unit:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/air.../images/11.jpg

And red handles at the dinette left window in this 2016 FC20:

http://www.colonialairstream.com/201.../images/12.jpg
Our 2014 FC has the emergency window with red handles in the dinette area AND the rear window that can open is without hardware to keep propped open. We were totally baffled on the rear window design oversight - so as a work around, we have been propping the window open with one of those orange leveling blocks. Very tacky!
Will be interested to hear if hardware can be retro fitted. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
We use a wooden cooking spoon to keep the window open and get a cross breeze.

It would be nice if we could put our collective brains together and come up with a decent easy solution for all of us.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Our 2014 FC has the emergency window with red handles in the dinette area AND the rear window that can open is without hardware to keep propped open. We were totally baffled on the rear window design oversight - so as a work around, we have been propping the window open with one of those orange leveling blocks. Very tacky!
Will be interested to hear if hardware can be retro fitted. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The rear window over the sinks does not have room for the right (standing at the sink) operating mechanism, due to the shower wall. They could have moved the window more to the curb side of the trailer, except there is a vertical framing member under the aluminum skin close by. Either that or they could have made a smaller window, but costs probably ruled that out (low number of windows needed). These windows are really expensive to make, even for a mfg. like AS which is already geared up . . .

A stick of any length that fits is easy to rig up as a support . . .

jpons a spoon works for me!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #235
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
It appears that AS moved the rear window to the curb side because to the right of my window frame, from the inside, the frame is hidden by the shower wall as stated above. On The 16 models you are able to see the frame and screws on the right side. It appears I won't be able to retrofit the hardware to allow the window to open

Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Ditto to subfan1 -- I just bought a 2014 FC20, and the stick/spoon routine works for me. Glad to have a trailer again, and this galley layout is the best . . .
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #237
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
On the 2015 you can see the whole frame, but no handles were included. Looks like they fixed the one problem but didn't bother to fix the other...
Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #238
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I use foam bike handles and I cut out slits on one end to prop the window open. This is so if a gust of wind kicks up and blows the bike handles off, it won't scratch or dent the trailer.