Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
2 AC zoning question

Hey guys,

I've just reread some of the 1 vs 2 AC and AC ducting efficiency threads and had one more question related to zoning of 2 ducted units.

We've narrowed our search down to 2 units (progress!)...... One of them is a 2015 27' FB with 2 AC units, ducted. The other is a 2015 25' RB with 1 AC, also ducted.

If and when we are sometimes limited to 30amp service or tailgating on generators (also 30amps) and we can only use 1 AC at a time, is that only front or back at a given time? Is that how it's zoned-- front & back? Or do the two AC's all dump out the same vents throughout the unit, just twice as much?

If we are hooked up to 50amp then 2 AC would be great here in TX, but we just want to be sure we understand how it will operate when we are limited to 30amp and can only use 1 AC. If we have friends or kids sleeping up front do we have to pick who gets the AC on their end overnight?

Would appreciate everyone's input!!! We are getting close here and should have a final purchase decision in the next few days!

Old 05-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Hogfan. The two AC's push air through all the vents, as opposed to feeding only certain zones, and when on 30 amp, you can pick either of the two units to run. Best regards, Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Ok! So if we are only using 1 of the 2 AC units, it's just pushing less air through, but still through the entire unit? We do not have to choose between cooling the front bs the back?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
That's correct, you do not have to choose front or back, as one unit will send air to all vents, just less air than the two would send. You will have some degree of control over which vents deliver air by adjusting the individual vent covers, which you will likely receive standard if you are getting a late 2015 or 2016 unit. If not, they can be purchased as options. Best regards, Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
As long as this subject has been brought up I agree with the above answers. My problem seems to be going between Zone 1 and 2. I have followed the instructions but both Zones seem to want to be either off or on. For example say the system is running and I want to turn Zone 1 off. I go to Zone 1 and turn it off but then I cannot go to Zone 2 and turn it on without also turning Zone 1 back on. Silly question I know but that is what I am having difficulty with.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Make sure the fan is on "Auto".
Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Yah I have a 50 amp MoHo with 2 AC's but when I'm at a park with only 30 only one can run. I'm happy that AS has finally ducted the air on the TT's. When you have two airs you can run either one and it will blow through the whole coach but there's a definite difference between front and back. If you only have the front on it will be much stronger in the front but it will still come out the back and vice-versa. One thing to do is close vents where you don't need or want it...I do that a lot if limited to one unit. For some reason when I'm on 30 amp even though I know I can only use one my AS only wants to use the front...never the rear...but me and the AC control have had issues since day one as the PO didn't have it set up for 2 zone AC as he never ran of 50 amps...
Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Dan and Lynda

2012 28' International
Bremerton , Washington
I have a 2012 International 28' unit, not ducted, 2 AC/Heat pumps. It took them a while, however mine were wired up incorrectly. My front zone 1 was sensing temperature in zone 2 and vise/verse. So I had a difficult time getting the right temperature anywhere. Once that was solved, I can run Zone 1 or 2 in any mode independent of the other and control the temp front and back. I have the White Digital control unit in the bedroom in the aft end of my unit. I select the zone and set it. The furnace is on Zone 1. If you have heat pumps, it saves on propane until the temp gets down to <35 degrees. Then the furnace will kick on.