Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
1st Post - Airstream 25

I registered just a few days ago, but followed this forum off and on for nearly one (1) year. During this last year, we have had an unfair share of family health problems which has kept us from buying our first RV of any kind. First on our short list of three (3) TTs is a used AS 25. (A new Airstream is not in our somewhat limited retirement funds).

It seems to me that the a good value (price) vs relatively modern interior with sound construction are Airstream TTs built around 2003-2006. So my question is to ask if my conclusion is somewhat correct?

Please know that in advance of any guidance, I am grateful.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Works for me. I have a 2006 with a comfortable layout and as well built as any other trailer in the same price area being made.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up 2003-2006

Traxless,

Welcome Aboard

As we own a 2003 25' we be a bit biased

IMHO the perfect size for two.

Inspect well for leaks, if tires are OEM plan on replacement, along with the rather poor Parallax converter that the factory installed.
Be aware that the units back then had a rather poor CCC,(cargo carrying capacity), which requires some creative finagling when loading for extended trips.

Filiform--- Corrosion is a cosmetic concern that can be managed with a routine maint plan.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I wouldn't hesitate to go back to 1990 or so. After a lengthy search I was fortunate to find a '90 25' Excella in great condition. No leaks so far except for a skylight that has been replaced, everything works properly, inside and outside in beautiful condition - and I bought it for under $20K.

I didn't want to spend more than that because this was an experiment for my wife and I as it's our first RV (a very successful experiment as it turns out - we just love it!). We figured we could move to a newer model if we enjoyed RV'ing, but there's no need as we are completely satisfied with our soon to be vintage trailer.

After being heavily involved with vintage Porsches for many years I applied what I had learned there to my purchase of an Airstream. It's all about condition. Take the time to inspect carefully - and size up the seller.

Good luck!

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We love our '07 25' FBSE, 75th year. It is our 4th Airstream and even though we have gone smaller than all the others, we find this arrangement is great. With the handiwork of my husband I have plenty efficient storage.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
'97 25' Safari full-timing with two people and a cat. No complaints other than carrying capacity (which I likely exceed slightly) of 850 lbs - which isn't a lot after fresh water tank, refrigerator/freezer, pantry are filled and necessary (always seeking to reduce and dual-purpose) stuff is loaded.
Got it in 2012 for a great price and not having had much use either. Problems are mainly cosmetic (plasticoat), a leaking grey water tank when partially full, low flowing hot water, and degrading plastic parts which we're working on as we go (or rather, stay). Another thing is that it comes with 14" wheels which limits tire choices greatly but I found some good ones -MAXXIS.
It is working out well for us though as we near one year in it.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
I am in the same boat as you. Just last month purchased my 1st RV, and it was a 2010 25FB flying cloud. haven't taken it out yet, but playing with it as parked next to the house -- and loving it. Semed like 25' and 27' were small enough to camp most places, and plenty of room. Good luck. Took me 6 months to find mine.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
Very encouraging replies! Seems folks are saying if an AS was treated (service, maintenance, etc.) properly, the older models should not be ignored just because of age. With figures crossed, we hope to get lucky!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
We also have a '97 25' safari with a rear queen sized bed and center bath. For the two of us it is a great size. Owned it for about 2 years and have been all over the Pacific Northwest, CA, WY, UT, AZ, etc. etc.

Bought it from a dealer who took it in from an older couple that took great care of her. Since we have updated the flooring, (nothing wrong with the old carpet, but the color), and have overall personalized it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Kansas City , Missouri
We have a wonderful 22' 1962 Safari! No leaks and just perfect for us. Many people with new AS trailers love our floorplan. But the real treasure is the perfectly working original refrigerator!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Welcome! We love our 2006 25' Safari! Bought it used for a good price (saw it on the Forums and grabbed it up two years ago), and everything works fine. We did fix a leak or two, modified the bedroom to twin beds, and put in a new floor to suit our tastes, but it's a great retreat. We are planning long-term trips for the future (us two and the dog), but it's been extremely comfortable for our weekend and 1-2 week trips. Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up So many years ago...

"We have a wonderful 22' 1962 Safari!"

Ahhh..... Safari what a nice way to start.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAMN20IN20THE20ADIRONDACKS201.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	228500  
Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Blind Dog Found a Bone

As I mentioned, I was originally attracted to an older trailer due to the attractive price point for what was an experiment at that time. The experiment has proven to be very successful. My wife and I spent four months living in "Nellie" last winter while touring the Colorado Plateau and snowbirding in Arizona. We were completely comfortable, so much so that we shelved our plans to buy a newer one.

We are completely content with Nellie. The size is perfect. It's easy to tow with our SUV (the older ones weigh less than the new ones). We mostly camp in State and National parks and it fits most everywhere. Everything works well. There's plenty of room for us and our stuff (admittedly, we travel very light).

I'm so happy with Nellie that I started this thread a while back: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...de-121471.html

At a fraction of the price of a new one, and with value seemingly increasing, we have a trailer that will serve us for the rest of our camping days.

Cheers,
John

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote