Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

2015 30' International
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Wireless backup cameras

As new owner, needing recommendations for a wireless back up camera. 30' is scary without eyes on the back!
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Wireless backup cameras

Use the google search function at the top right of the screen and search wireless backup camera. There are already very good back up camera threads on the forum. If you can't find them, let us know here.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I installed the Voyager Wireless and love it. Really helps going down the road. Also very nice to have some eyes at the back while backing and it has a microphone that you can turn up while backing that helps you hear your assistant when parking.

Good luck on your search and decision.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have a backup camera mounted on my 27'. One problem with the wireless units is that they use a frequency that is used by many devices, I think 2.4 mhz. I see the screen rolling while driving and very poor reception when near power lines. I know there are units out there without these problems but they are considerably more expensive. Mine is Cam4u. It does have infrared lighting which helps when backing up at night. I don't remember exactly but I believe the cost was around $200. I just live with the short comings.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Well

It might be nice for going down the road, but you can buy a 2 pack of family radios for under 30 bones. Hand one to your wife and it's the best guide you will ever have. And she can look up to check for trees that might scrape your new baby. Your camera can't do that.

Nice to have, but I'll betya a bottle of scotch that says you won't use it 6 months after you spend all that $ on getting the thing installed. Don't be intimidated by the length of the trailer you're towing. With time, you'll get much better at handling that beautiful piece of metal right into your chosen campsite.
Sorry, but I just can't see that kinda $ being spent on something one really doesn't need. Save the money & go camping. With fuel prices these days, you could carry yourself a LONG way down the road for that kinda money.

Good luck in your ventures, and Merry Christmas.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
It might be nice for going down the road, but you can buy a 2 pack of family radios for under 30 bones. Hand one to your wife and it's the best guide you will ever have. And she can look up to check for trees that might scrape your new baby. Your camera can't do that.

Nice to have, but I'll betya a bottle of scotch that says you won't use it 6 months after you spend all that $ on getting the thing installed. Don't be intimidated by the length of the trailer you're towing. With time, you'll get much better at handling that beautiful piece of metal right into your chosen campsite.

Sorry, but I just can't see that kinda $ being spent on something one really doesn't need. Save the money & go camping. With fuel prices these days, you could carry yourself a LONG way down the road for that kinda money.

Good luck in your ventures, and Merry Christmas.

Gavin

I'll take that Scotch! 2 years in, can't live without it, and the angle is such that I could get the view I needed to back in though I am glad my DW travels with me and helps in that process.

Glenlivet 18 will be fine :-)

Merry Christmas!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I really enjoy our Voyager wireless rear view camera (cost was somewhere around $700, if I remember correctly, with my install).

I like to see what's directly behind me at all times when driving especially when making lane changes. And when backing up I like to see what's behind the trailer which doesn't happen clearly enough for me with tow vehicle mirrors as they are not behind the trailer. So, for me it was a great investment as I'm more relaxed driving. For others, they are relaxed using tow vehicle mirrors and no rear view camera.

Go with what will make for the most pleasant towing experience for you. Remember, this is supposed to be fun!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Sharktooth,

My company markets a wireless rearview camera that uses your smartphone (either iPhone or Android) for display. Our system has a 5-star Amazon rating and many other positive testimonials. I won't go into a lot of detail here, but you can click on the link below my name to learn more about its features and advantages.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Another vote for the Voyager. If after spending what you have for your trailer, tow vehicle, hitch and goodies, the $700.00 for this valuable add on is nothing. Great for rearward vision on the road and really helps with the backing in at any site. I can put our rig on a dime but I still love the back up camera. Simple to install and easy to use. If I dont use it on a trip, it is like someone removed my mirrors. I am more of a Rye guy, but send the scotch!
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I have the Voyager Wireless. It works good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I checked with Jackson Center to install one & was quoted "around" $985. I presume it's top of the line for that price but before doing it I'll get other quotes.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I checked with Jackson Center to install one & was quoted "around" $985. I presume it's top of the line for that price but before doing it I'll get other quotes.

Hmm - must be an upgraded version? I had mine installed there for less than $700 on a special they were offering. That was at the start of last year's season.

Maybe it's a bigger screen or different camera features?

I'm still VERY glad I did it!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
FaceTime with your backer-upper-assistant over 4G. Or, have her/him sit at the dinette facing the camera outward to accomplish the same thing as a backup camera. Not perfect, but chances are, you're already equipped!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
FaceTime with your backer-upper-assistant over 4G. Or, have her/him sit at the dinette facing the camera outward to accomplish the same thing as a backup camera. Not perfect, but chances are, you're already equipped!

But completely ineffective at night!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Have the Voyager camera installed on both the Classic and the 23D. Shows the traffic coming up from behind and a big help when backing into a spot.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why would you want to see behind your trailer going down the road? Using your mirrors you can see when someone is behind you
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not when they are hanging 10 feet from the bumper.

Neither the Dodge Ram 2500HD Cummins with factory flip tow mirrors nor the Mercedes with extension mirrors can see a tailgater that is close to the back of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Why would you want to see behind your trailer going down the road? Using your mirrors you can see when someone is behind you

I never imagined it myself - but it's the best part of having the Voyager! Some people ride your bumper, you can't see them in your mirrors - and with the camera you get a much wider field and more warning time of someone's sneaking up on your right or left as you're trying to move lanes. 100% elimination of blind spots behind you. Mirrors can't do that. It's really outstanding!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post

Why do you have an inside rear view mirror for use when driving sans trailer?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Sharktooth,

My company markets a wireless rearview camera that uses your smartphone (either iPhone or Android) for display. Our system has a 5-star Amazon rating and many other positive testimonials. I won't go into a lot of detail here, but you can click on the link below my name to learn more about its features and advantages.
I've been using this system for a couple of years now and love it.