Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Why a heat pump?

Why would I want to use the heat pump to warm my Airstream when it has a much quieter and more efficient furnace?
easplund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The heat pump is more efficient. If you are in a full-hookup site that does not charge extra for electricity, the heat is free.

But it is the noise from hell. We never use it. Instead we bought the Dyson Hot space heater, and it is one of the luxuries of our trailer. Wonderful, consistent heat that stays exactly where you set the thermostat. Set it under the dinette aimed to the back, warms our feet and provides perfect heat quality through the night.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The heat pump is more efficient. If you are in a full-hookup site that does not charge extra for electricity, the heat is free.

But it is the noise from hell. We never use it. Instead we bought the Dyson Hot space heater, and it is one of the luxuries of our trailer. Wonderful, consistent heat that stays exactly where you set the thermostat. Set it under the dinette aimed to the back, warms our feet and provides perfect heat quality through the night.

doug k
I figured that electricity was free, so use the heat pump. I tried it for one night, and changed back to the furnace by 3:00 am. The thermostat does not seem to have any hysteresis, so the heat pump would run for about 5 minutes, kick off, and then start again after about 8 minutes. The furnace seems to cycle a lot less often, even though it is using the same thermostat.

Thanks for the suggestion on the space heater!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Good timing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easplund View Post
Why would I want to use the heat pump to warm my Airstream when it has a much quieter and more efficient furnace?
Interesting,LPG tanks are off, so thought I'd ck the Heat Pump.

I just set it @70* on our 1350? Penguin 2 1/2 hrs ago. 37* inside.
It's 34* outside tonite and very windy
50.1* inside front & 54 rear @ 6:45PM.....not bad?

Check again later.....

Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
I found that the heat pump warmed things up quite well, but it was awfully noisy.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yup, it's noisy as heck (like the AC)...we use a small electric heater with a thermostat when we need heat and have electricity...it doesn't take much to heat up a Bambi and keep it nice all night long.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by easplund View Post
My heat pump is quieter than my furnace. The furnace is LOUD!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Up-date.

!0:00pm ccc 72.

Inside front...60.9

rear.......71.1

Outside....33.1

Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
!0:00pm ccc 72.

Inside front...60.9

rear.......71.1

Outside....33.1

Bob
At those outside temps it's probably using the aux heat (if it has it) rather than the heat pump... most of them stop trying when it gets close to freezing, since that makes the outside fins ice up QUICKLY and there's less heat to be gathered from the outside air to warm them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
It's pretty stable at 69-70, really surprised it got that warm with ccc that ccc setting.

Time to shut down now..

Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Just like running the A/C, no better and no worse than the furnace fan IMHO. On hook-ups it works very well down to high 30's low 40s and can keep the inside at a comfortable temp, maybe 71 or so. As it gets colder outside it does not work as well and eventually as it gets too cold and can't maintain temp, the digital thermostat switches over to the furnace. So we use it all the time when chilly and when hooked up.

Given a choice, I'd get the heat pump over straight A/C every time. I heard the valve to reverse the refrigerant flow used to get stuck but we never had a problem.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
My observations after reading some of the above comments.

Dometic Penguins come in cool, cool with heat strip, or heat pump. I believe the comment regarding heat pumps with heat strips is referring to residential heat pumps.

Also why would a heat pump in heat mode be any louder than the unit in cool mode?

Also why would one run a heat pump when the outside temperature is below 40?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
Just like running the A/C, no better and no worse than the furnace fan IMHO. On hook-ups it works very well down to high 30's low 40s and can keep the inside at a comfortable temp, maybe 71 or so. As it gets colder outside it does not work as well and eventually as it gets too cold and can't maintain temp, the digital thermostat switches over to the furnace. So we use it all the time when chilly and when hooked up.

Given a choice, I'd get the heat pump over straight A/C every time. I heard the valve to reverse the refrigerant flow used to get stuck but we never had a problem.
My experience is the same as yours.

I've gotten used to the noise, but still have an auxiliary electric heater for the odd nook - like the darned bathroom. That is one cold seat unless I leave the door open!

I do prefer the furnace over a space heater when it's really cold. It's my understanding that the furnace will keep the tanks from freezing. A space heater wouldn't do that - except maybe if the trailer were skirted and the heater placed under it.

Paula
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have used Lucy's heat pump extensively in cooler weather. We have found that as the outside temperature approaches the freezing mark, the heat pump quits working. Then we switch over to the gas furnace.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #15
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
For me, it's a no brainer to use the heat pump and small electric space heaters instead of paying the propane man when electric service is available as part of the cost of space/rent.

Yes, the noise is bothersome; but as I pretty much do in the summer, I just leave the fan on low all the time as a white noise. When the compressor actually kicks in is not for me, bothersome that way.

The worst thing about the heat pump is a cold floor as I have a wood floor instead of carpeting. Sure is a lot better though, than sitting in the furnace blast of the factory heater/furnace where the duct empties directly onto the gaucho/front of the living space..............God bless......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up I Like the option>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have used Lucy's heat pump extensively in cooler weather. We have found that as the outside temperature approaches the freezing mark, the heat pump quits working. Then we switch over to the gas furnace.

Brian
Brian,

So maybe it really does work....somewhat? Maybe!

It's back on this morning, sunny bright no wind or rain.

Should do well as it warms up a little.

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
We use the heat pumps (2) to take the edge off, especially in the AM. I couldn't take the noise level at night and prefer to run the furnace when I'm sleeping.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I agree with those that prefer to take advantage of the electricity paid for with a full hook-up spot. Along with that, we use space heaters when connected as well.

I too leave the blower fan on low, and allow the compressor to cycle. The constant noise is much easier to deal with than the on/off cycle of the furnace for me.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Also why would a heat pump in heat mode be any louder than the unit in cool mode?
That's what really concerns me. I haven't used the cooling yet because I just got the Airstream, but I have more use for cooling, living in the Southwest.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Land Yacht
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Yes, the noise is bothersome; but as I pretty much do in the summer, I just leave the fan on low all the time as a white noise. When the compressor actually kicks in is not for me, bothersome that way.
That is an excellent suggestion! Thanks!

Tags
2011 international