Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Tips for staying cool in Arizona in August?

The good news is that there is a great birding festival in Southeast Arizona. The bad news is that it's August 7-11.

Luckily our 30' International has two air conditioners. But I'm just wondering if it will stay cool in direct sun (the RV park near the festival has no shade) in highs of 100 degrees each day. It will get down to a low of 74 at night, so sleeping shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have tips to share regarding how to keep the interior cool in this situation? I know Reflectix on the inside of the windows is one solution I've seen.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips.
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use the Reflectix on the inside of Lucy's windows in the warm climes. Another biggie that you need to cover with substantial insulative material is the ceiling skylight in your Airstream. We also avoid cooking in the over in the really hot weather.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tips for staying cool in Arizona in August?

I am doing a makeover on our 95 34’. I plan to replace the AC unit with a 12,000 btu/hr split system heat pump. This is probably a lower capacity than what is needed for adequate cooling in hot weather, so I am thinking about installing some insulated covers for the windows. These would be supported by the top of the windows and would be made of awning material. Insulation would be between 3/4” and 1.5” of RMax and maybe a 0.5” air gap. The total R factor would be at least 10 and they would seal well next to the aluminum. I would carry them under the truck cap; they would be very light.

This is similar to what moosetags does but would be more effective IMHO, but also more trouble.

Just an idea. I don’t know if anyone else has done something similar.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	339459
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Russ, your birding festival sounds nice.

So with regard to temperature it's going to be hot, your trailer is going to be hot, it's going to be annoying and uncomfortable. But two air conditioners and some of the tips people are giving you you might just be able to do it.

For the most part it is a dry heat (that is not a myth it is a reality) and that really makes a difference.

I would recommend having all windows covered to keep the scorching sun from penetrating inside. If there is any way to get any kind of shade wherever you're staying tuck yourself up under that shade every little bit helps. If you are going to be plugged in to Electric I would say some small oscillating fans running inside helps. Although fans do not change the actual temperature it changes the temperature for the people and that feels nice.

In August Tucson will start to have cooled off a "little" bit already and you may be able to sit outside in shade morning and evening quite nicely.

August will also be monsoon season and you might get some afternoon cloud cover. Might get some afternoon storms with deluges of rain. If you do get the rains that will certainly up the humidity a little bit but not too bad and cool it off. The desert smells particularly nice after a good rain.

If you have an awning make sure you put it in before you leave in the afternoons. Tuck your lawn chairs and your tables up under so they don't blow around. Make sure your site drains well in case you get an afternoon storm, they come on very fast, dump a lot of rain quickly that our soil does not absorb quickly. Do not leave your roof vents open if you're going to be gone for periods of time that could storm. As soon as the outside temperatures get anywhere near the inside temperatures open all those windows and let a little bit of natural air in.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and stick to high ground if you are hiking when an afternoon storm rolls in.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
. . .
I would be grateful for any advice or tips.
Awnings all around.

Run the A/C day and night.

Good dependable shore power.

Keep it simple, Stu.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Best advise; avoid AZ flat lands between June thru September...just saying! (same for Austin by the way)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Replacing a roof AC with a swamp cooler is also an option

Or maybe a portable swamp cooler inside
Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post