Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Weems , Virginia
Renovation Serenity dinette/couch

Happy Holidays to all. This is my first post, thank you in advance for input.
We have a 27ft FB and wish to reconfigure dinette to a couch and move dinette to below the TV where the long couch is now.
We are aware of the furnace under the couch as well as the vent and electrical outlets under the current dinette.

We happened to see an Argosy and Avion parked outside a big warehouse not long ago, long story short we were invited in to see a family run custom cabinet/furniture company. The father loves to renovate old airstreams, his sons grew up in the boat building business. The building and equipment were spotless...beautiful work.

We asked the son to look at our Airstream, he was interested. We came up with removing existing dinette, build a platform for couch, shift the furnace duct more forward to the face of the platform, as well as outlets. We all think there is just enough room for a 2 man dinette, where the couch is, with one seat over the furnace.

He will build a template after removing items to make sure we are happy with the space.
He was very honest in that he has never done this before and asked what we considered a fair price....? We have no clue. His best estimate was a weeks worth of work, $2500 ($60/hour labor).
Fair? Too high? I realize there are lots of possibles...we asked to keep the overall weight similar and plan to recycle as much as possible.
One consideration we had is will this hurt the resale value......I think I know the answer to this..../0:
Thank you
MAW2
MAW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Most labor rates for Airstream renovation companies are $100-$120/hr so $60/hr is a bargain.

Putting a two seat dinette where the side couch seems possible. There are two ducts from the furnace and the T to the bathroom. The television may get in the way unless you are removing it or offset the dinette seat away from the fridge wall

What couch are you thinking on installing? Loveseats are about 5' wide. You need to make sure it will fit in the rear and provide the leg room and entrance door access. Make sure it can be put through the entrance door and can be attached to the floor. It gets bouncy back there going down the road.

I think your design should be centered on the dimensions of the couch, then see how much room to fit the dinette. Most dinettes are 6ft long. Even my Casita 17' trailer side dinette was 6ft long. It was 24" wide as was the table. I was able to sleep there when our daughter traveled with us.

Kelvin
Old 12-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Weems , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Most labor rates for Airstream renovation companies are $100-$120/hr so $60/hr is a bargain.

Putting a two seat dinette where the side couch seems possible. There are two ducts from the furnace and the T to the bathroom. The television may get in the way unless you are removing it or offset the dinette seat away from the fridge wall

What couch are you thinking on installing? Loveseats are about 5' wide. You need to make sure it will fit in the rear and provide the leg room and entrance door access. Make sure it can be put through the entrance door and can be attached to the floor. It gets bouncy back there going down the road.

I think your design should be centered on the dimensions of the couch, then see how much room to fit the dinette. Most dinettes are 6ft long. Even my Casita 17' trailer side dinette was 6ft long. It was 24" wide as was the table. I was able to sleep there when our daughter traveled with us.

Kelvin

Thank you Kelvin. Well, I guess we are getting a bargain! Helps to live in the country I think.
Instead of purchasing a couch, we thought a built in platform and then have custom made cushions, recycling the ones we have. This allows storage to be built underneath.
The information regarding the dinette is very helpful, I think we calculated 55 inches of available space.
The 2015 only has one duct from the furnace that comes out under the current dinette seat, unless I am missing something. Not sure I understand your reference to the T for the bathroom, our bathroom is on the other side. I will go back to specs to see if I missed something.
Thanks again!
M
MAW2 is offline   Reply With Quote