Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #21
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
The fiber glass tanks are the only ones that are accurate because you can actually see the propane level. I have used them on my boat for many years and so far no problems and yes they are considerably lighter and do not rust. The gauge type gauges only really tell you the pressure of that tank and not the level of propane.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Some tanks with built-in float type gauges do give a decent indication. The pressure type that screw into the valve are darn near useless, IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Did you realize that you have an automatic switch over regulator on your Airstream?

On the regulator you will see a pointer on a round dial. That pointer points to the tank which is supplying propane. When that tank becomes empty, there is a green indicator which turns red and the propane is drawn from the other tank which is left on. You then turn the knob to point at the good tank and the indicator will turn green again. You can remove the empty tank and have it refiled without turning the gas off. When refilled, put it back in place and turn it on. Then when the second tank becomes empty, it will switch back to the first one, and on and on.

This can be a little confusing at first, but it works very well assuming you look now and then at the indicator to see if it is red and you are running on your second tank.
Can someone tell me the automatic part? Seems to me you still have to manually turn the pointer on the valve to point to the non-empty tank to continue to have propane.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Nope. The valve will draw from the full tank even though the pointer indicates the empty tank. It comes in handy while you are cooking or it's the middle of the night and you are running the furnace.

When you discover the red indicator during your routine checks, flip the pointer over to the full tank, disconnect the empty at your leisure to have it refilled.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Nope. The valve will draw from the full tank even though the pointer indicates the empty tank. It comes in handy while you are cooking or it's the middle of the night and you are running the furnace.

When you discover the red indicator during your routine checks, flip the pointer over to the full tank, disconnect the empty at your leisure to have it refilled.

So the color on the valve goes to red because it's now pointing to the empty tank, but you still have flow because the other tank is on (and full).

1) Do you have to move the lever to the full tank in order to be able to disconnect the empty tank?
2) I presume if you do move the lever to the full tank, the indicator will then go to green?
3) What happens if the lever is pointed halfway between the tanks?
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Jones , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokila View Post
So the color on the valve goes to red because it's now pointing to the empty tank, but you still have flow because the other tank is on (and full).

1) Do you have to move the lever to the full tank in order to be able to disconnect the empty tank?

2) I presume if you do move the lever to the full tank, the indicator will then go to green?

3) What happens if the lever is pointed halfway between the tanks?

1) I always switch to the other tank before disconnection but I don’t know that it matters.

2) yes, it will turn green.

3) The gauge will not work and you will end up draining both tanks. No reason to split the difference
alumdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougandlori View Post
I just use one tank at a time until empty, then open the valve on the full tank and refill the other. This works for me, in the past I have tried using hot water to judge the fuel level in the tank but I find one tank at at time is easy for me.
I open one tank at a time also and fill when I get empty or near empty. It has only fooled me once at the hunting camp when I woke up in a warm sleeping bag and 20 degrees inside. The door of the Airstream was frozen shut so I had to get one of my fellow hunters to open the other valve and wait 20 min. for the inside to warm up. I usually run a Portable Buddy but let one of the other guys use it for the night. I've since changed to an Olympic Wave 6 that got a workout this weekend in 20 degree weather.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote