Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
One thing to think about.

If you order 16" wheels and tires from the factory, they also supply the spare with a 16" wheel and tire and supply the trailer with a 16" spare wheel carrier.

If you swap out the tires and wheels on your own. You will have to modify the spare tire carrier and purchase a 5th tire and wheel to match.

RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought only four 16" tires/wheels and kept the original 15" spare because your chance of a blow-out with these Michelins is almost zero. If, you pick up a nail the original spare is more than adequate to take you where the Michelin can be fixed or replaced as needed.

I have so much confidence in these Michelins we will leave the spare at home on our next trip to save the hitch weight. If we pick up a nail our Airstream Owners Manual advises you can remove the flat tire from your tandem axle Airstream and proceed at reduced speed to a tire shop to have it fixed. Of course this also depends on where we travel; on an Alaska trip we would carry the spare.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Skee75 - you will get a better solar solution for the dollars spent by adding solar after delivery. Be sure to read the information available at this URL as you contemplate which route to choose:
AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Des Allemands , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
My guess would be that the extra cost of the second A/C would be recouped in resale value. At a bit over $2,000, I think this is an easy way to open resale markets up. However, if planning on keeping it for a long long time, maybe not, especially if planning on only cool climates or, one has no problem with the heat.

There are some clear down sides to the second A/C, that being the 50 Amp vs, 30 Amp, loss of the front power input, use of an extremely cumbersome power cord, and, if I am not mistaken in some models loss of the second fantastic fan.
We just got our Serenity, Friday. It has 2 A/C's. Are you saying you have to always have a 50 Amp hookup? Right now it hasn't made it out of my driveway.....LOL. Our came with a 50 Amp cord and we bought a 30 Amp extension (as recommended).
AraExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraExpress View Post
We just got our Serenity, Friday. It has 2 A/C's. Are you saying you have to always have a 50 Amp hookup? Right now it hasn't made it out of my driveway.....LOL. Our came with a 50 Amp cord and we bought a 30 Amp extension (as recommended).
No you don't always have to have a 50 amp hookup but you do have to always use the 50 amp cord.

The 50 amp cord plugs into the trailer and then you can use the supplied 30 to 50 amp adapter at the other end of the cord to attach to the power supply.

I have not looked into it yet but I suppose that a 50 amp to 30 amp short adapter with a connector to the Airstream might be available. In that case you could use a 30 amp cord to the post. But an adapter with the airstream connector on it might be hard to find.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Des Allemands , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
No you don't always have to have a 50 amp hookup but you do have to always use the 50 amp cord.

The 50 amp cord plugs into the trailer and then you can use the supplied 30 to 50 amp adapter at the other end of the cord to attach to the power supply.

I have not looked into it yet but I suppose that a 50 amp to 30 amp short adapter with a connector to the Airstream might be available. In that case you could use a 30 amp cord to the post. But an adapter with the airstream connector on it might be hard to find.
Thank you. Our long cord is 50 amp and the adapter is the 30 amp, Looks like we are okay! Or are we? Do we need 50 amps available to run both a/c's? We weren't told this by the dealer. And, can one be run instead of two. I apologize, haven't had time to read the manual yet.
AraExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraExpress View Post
Thank you. Our long cord is 50 amp and the adapter is the 30 amp, Looks like we are okay! Or are we? Do we need 50 amps available to run both a/c's? We weren't told this by the dealer. And, can one be run instead of two. I apologize, haven't had time to read the manual yet.

50 Amp to 30 Amp Adapter Cordset with Fault Smart LED - 25'
- See more at: 50 Amp to 30 Amp Adapter Cordset with Fault Smart LED - 25' - Furrion F50AR25-SB.AM - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

I have one of these for when I only need 30 Amp, and a short adapter for the 50 Amp cord that goes from 50 Amp to 30 Amp, so their are lots of options
Yes, you need 50 Amp to run both a/c units
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
To see my "homemade" 50 Amp cord to 30 Amp shoreline connection:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...al-130253.html
AIR #31871 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Upper St Clair, PA/Titusville, FL , PA-Summer/FL-Winter
We have factory solar for our 30' 2015 FC. So far this winter while in storage outside the panels have kept the batteries charged. I have had to go over and clean the panels several times of snow. I do have a technique however, I stand in the bed of the pick up with an extension squeegee we had from our MoHo experience and my wife drives up close to the AS, I simply push and pull the snow off and then she drives on to the second panel and I do the same. As stated, so far batteries are charged and we have had lots of snow and as usual in Pittsburgh very little sun.

As noted we also ordered the 16" wheels and tires from the factory - I wanted them put on by AS at the factory and thereby under warranty from the factory.

Bud
Starting to Look (AGAIN) Number 5 Hopefully
USAF Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
No, you do not need to use the 50A cord all of the time. You can purchase a lighter cord that has the 50A connector for the trailer on one end and a 30A male plug on the other. With this lighter cord you can run only 1 AC. You can pick which AC to run using the thermostat. If you want to run both ACs, or have a lot of load, you will need the 50A cord and 50A service.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We have factory solar for our 30' 2015 FC. So far this winter while in storage outside the panels have kept the batteries charged. I have had to go over and clean the panels several times of snow. I do have a technique however, I stand in the bed of the pick up with an extension squeegee we had from our MoHo experience and my wife drives up close to the AS, I simply push and pull the snow off and then she drives on to the second panel and I do the same. As stated, so far batteries are charged and we have had lots of snow and as usual in Pittsburgh very little sun.

As noted we also ordered the 16" wheels and tires from the factory - I wanted them put on by AS at the factory and thereby under warranty from the factory.

Hi paiceman

I have a 27 Int Serenity on order for delivery end of April. I did several upgrades but did not order the solar option. Am wondering if I should call and add this to my order. What was your thought process for ordering the solar panels? I have read the. Solar posts on this Forum, while very informative, it also seems like great advertising for an aftermarket solar product. Am a total newbie to Airstreaming and camping. Retired a year ago and am looking forward to all that Airstreaming offers. Eventually will do some boondocking but will use the safety of campgrounds until I get the hang of it. Would appreciate your insight. Thanks in advance.

Itldo
itldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #32
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The factory solar option is great for keeping the batteries charged, particularly if you leave it out side without shore power, but is really not adequate for big time boondocking, although it would work for short periods and may just work for your needs. I think the real shortcoming is the inability for growing the system to expanding needs. Having solar power creates the electrical equivalent of two footitious. More panels, bigger inverter, more batteries, larger diameter wire for increased electron flow.
There are some excellent posts by others here outlining their impressive solar projects. Good idea I think to have a quick look before deciding. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

street side and rear awnings if you plan on camping in the heat, especially in FL any time of the year...
rickyandcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #34

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldC303 View Post
No, you do not need to use the 50A cord all of the time. You can purchase a lighter cord that has the 50A connector for the trailer on one end and a 30A male plug on the other. With this lighter cord you can run only 1 AC. You can pick which AC to run using the thermostat. If you want to run both ACs, or have a lot of load, you will need the 50A cord and 50A service.

Ron

Are both ac units pumping through the same ducts or does one ac supply x number of registers in one zone and the second ac does the same in another zone? Curious if one would "weakly" supply the trailer.

Thanks much

Mark (getting ready to order and then have customized by ultimate air streams in Oregon)
super90ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyandcook View Post
street side and rear awnings if you plan on camping in the heat, especially in FL any time of the year...
I agree with the awnings, just added them to our 25' International and they work great in keeping the trailer cooler. We had our local dealer install thumbnut if you can order from the factory I definitely would

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by super90ish View Post
Are both ac units pumping through the same ducts or does one ac supply x number of registers in one zone and the second ac does the same in another zone? Curious if one would "weakly" supply the trailer.

Thanks much

Mark (getting ready to order and then have customized by ultimate air streams in Oregon)
The two AC units share a common ducting system.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
After having a convection/microwave in our previous motorhome, we're thrilled to have a gas oven and separate microwave in the Airstream. My wife loves to cook and bake delicious foods. The gas oven is fantastic and we use it regularly, even while dry camping.

We found the convection oven to be very noisy, a massive heat generator, and a power sucker.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Awnings, oven, two A/C

Awnings...allow windows open when raining....lovely!

Gas oven, essential when boondocking or if one wants to seriously bake. The convection oven requires shore line or generator to use.

Two A/C...good, and I have one on cool at 77, the other on heat at 68.

Some modification in ducting is on my schedule so as to bring more air up front, less in bedroom.

Also, the ZipDee Power Patio Awning....once adjusted by factory is nice, but does use power. The good part is the ease with which one opens or closes this. The downside is price, potential problems as the factory does not seem to know how to adjust the awning correctly at the time of installation.

I will be very interested in the custom work to be done.... I am preparing to remove one recliner and have a custom bench with storage installed, matching the Ultra Leather of course.
AIR #31871 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Hi . I received my 2015 Serenity in April. I ordered the Awnings on three sides, inverter, 16" wheels and the microwave. I was torn about the automatic awning and have found that I really don't need it. After you use it a few times it is easy to open and close. I do regret not getting the solar panels. I wanted these and spoke to the factory about them. They advised I wait as their expertise in this area is not that great. I bought two small Yamaha generators for boondocking instead. Haven't used them. Am not very handy and as a single lady felt I needed to understand the systems thoroughly. I attended Alumapalooza in May. I refer to it as Airstream camp. Best thing I ever did! I learned a lot and came away very confident in the operation of my Airstream. Good luck with your new Airstream. It is so much fun and you will have some wonderful trips.

itldo is offline   Reply With Quote