Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Visalia , California
New Ford Superduty with Camera for Trailer

I have a new F250 Superduty to tow my 2013 International Signature 25 with. The truck features a wired camera that can be mounted on the back of the trailer that sends the signal to the trucks built-in camera screens in the dash. I need to install this but do not know the best way to route the cable and attach the mounting bracket. Can anyone point me to any resources on this?
twesslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
There are several threads on this forum with people installing wired cameras. Those will probably give you some good information.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
There are several threads on this forum with people installing wired cameras. Those will probably give you some good information.
I've looked at a lot of threads this evening and don't have any luck finding anywhere which would tell me where to run a proprietary bundle of wires that comes with the camera from the back top of the AS to the A-frame. Any clues on how to do this are very much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Is the camera taking over your dash display? If so, while keeping an eye on what follows you, you are not able to use the display for navigation or any other function. In that case, I would rather use a second display for the standard wireless camera in the back of the AS. It comes as an option with my new F350 and I declined it for that reason. I got it wrong?
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I mounted my camera on the inside of the trailer, attaching it to the bottom of the cabinet above the rear window & running its wire down the side, through a hole I drilled in the floor & belly pan, & leading up to the trailer hitch.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I didn't order the camera on my 2017 F250 as already had the wireless on the Airstream. However I read somewhere on the Super Duty Forum that one of the guys there used some of the adhesive clips to hold the wire to the frame of his trailer and then just ran the camera up to the mounting point at the rear of the trailer. Then excess at hitch area coiled and zip tied. I ran a search trying to locate, but similar to this forum not as easy as it sounds to find something. Good luck and enjoy your new Super Duty.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
The More Screens, the Better!

I've been over-researching this the last couple of months and here is my strategy: I'm ordering an F-150 with a camera built into the tailgate connected to an 8" screen in the center of the dash that will feature Pro Trailer Back-up Assist which will make it both easier to hitch up the trailer AND to back up the trailer. For the back of the Airstream I'll be getting the Furrion Digital Wireless High Speed Observation System that has its own display on the dash. (FOS48TAPK-BL) With that I'll be able to see if I'm about to back over anything and if someone is tailgating me on the highway. I need all the help I can get!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesslen View Post
I have a new F250 Superduty to tow my 2013 International Signature 25 with. The truck features a wired camera that can be mounted on the back of the trailer that sends the signal to the trucks built-in camera screens in the dash. I need to install this but do not know the best way to route the cable and attach the mounting bracket. Can anyone point me to any resources on this?

i wish I could help but can't regarding a DIY wire installation for the back up camera. We have a Ford 250 with a back up camera. This set up is quite adequate to guide you to within centimeters of a good hook up for the trailer. If you have a backup camera you shouldn't need further wiring. If the truck doesn't have a back up camera why not have the dealer install it? I know......we who have no such capability always seek assistance. For me the help is necessary. Good luck and enjoy the camping.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I am also in the planning stages of a rear of trailer mounted camera.
1. It seems to be commonly reported that wireless cameras sometimes don't work or have flakey signals.
2. If going wireless we have the problematic wire run from the camera usually mounted near the clearance lights, to the rear underbelly of the trailer.
Running the wire from the rear underbelly to the trailer 7 way connector area would be straightforward using sheet metal screws and Adel clamps.
3. If using the wireless approach, what if the receiving antenna was mounted way back near the rear of the trailer via a long wire run. Then the camera would easily send a signal to it. You would not need to fish wire from the camera through the back wall down to the underbelly. You would be limited to using camera only with lights on if powering from the nearby clearance lights though. The cord would need a disconnect near the 7 way.
4. if going hard wired all the way it would be a difficult wire pull through the back wall without displacing insulation. Airstream should provide a wire chase and 12v hot to accomplish this on new trailers.
5. As to using 2 monitors vs 1, I guess 2 would add viewing while navigating, so better. You just need the physical space to mount the other screen. Maybe use the factory head unit to navigate and aim for the trailer ball, and use screen 2 for side mounted or rear mounted cameras. Side mounted cameras could aid in backing into camp sites or parking slots as helping conventional mirrors. Some side mounts attach to tug mirrors, while others attach to side of trailer. Trailer mounted ones could have reception problems with wireless, so antenna location would have to be worked out to hit rear and side antennas.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Sumter , South Carolina
My solution to the problem was simple and "relatively" inexpensive. I purchased a GoPro 5 Black and a suction mount. I mounted the suction cup on the interior rear wall of our 2015 FC28 Rear Queen and attached the camera looking rear out the window. Pressed it up against the screen and window to minimize screen focus and used a long cord from the built in USB port in the closet to the GoPro. I downloaded the free apps from GoPro to my iPhone and iPad and use "Capture" to view the real time image in my TV. Note that the image appears reversed but for the cost savings I can remember a trick appearing on the right side of my iPad image will be passing on my left. I actually mount my iPhone on the windshield and power it using the built in USB ports in my truck. Works GREAT for us. The GoPro 5 Black delivers an almost instantaneous 4K image and between that and my towing mirror extensions eliminates all blind spots. Hope this helps - I realize that not all Airstreams and/or trucks have the USB power solutions we have, but if you do, it's much less expensive and invasive than the Magellan trailer mounted system (plus it's removable for other uses).
Stewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruscal View Post
5. As to using 2 monitors vs 1, I guess 2 would add viewing while navigating, so better. You just need the physical space to mount the other screen.
Russ
I use the Furrion on my SOB. 35+ feet from the wireless camera to the monitor. Display has been flawless.

While driving i mount the monitor on my inside rear view mirror. Since the trailer blocks the view using the mirror, putting the monitor on the mirror allows me to drive almost as if the trailer wasn't there.

For those who don't realize what the OP is asking, on the 2017 F series trucks, you can buy an optional camera. Mount the new camera on the back of your trailer and run a wire up to the truck tailgate. There is a plug there to connect the camera to the trucks wiring. The in dash monitor can then be used to see what is behind the trailer when driving.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Visalia , California
I don't think Ford would allow it to be on when driving but I may be mistaken. The cable routing thing has me baffled. I'm not too experienced doing wire routing on my airstream and need help from someone with experience.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Sam,
It sounds like your wireless setup has good signal strength. I have had 2 wireless failures. One was a rear mounted camera on the back of my service bodied work truck. It could not transmit any image to the camera due to the metal body. The other was a camera that was magnetically mounted to the back of our Scamp trailer bumper. The scamp is only 16' and the tug was a Jeep wrangler, so short also, but signal was spotty and unusable. The Scamp uses a metallic bubble wrap insulation that may have killed the signal. I go by the 2 strikes rule, so am reluctant to try again. With a remotely mounted antenna it would seem doable though.
I see what you were talking about regarding the new Fords. Chevy also has a camera system that is expandable, but I don't know about the rear bumper location for hookup. They mention mirror mounted trailering cameras that can be toggled to the screen on the head unit. Their standard camera looks out from behind the trailer ball.
My truck is a classic Chevy, so the whole Stereo-navigation-camera will have to be built from the ground up. Your rear view mirror mounted screen makes sense when trailering, and should be easy to affix and remove when desired.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by twesslen View Post
I don't think Ford would allow it to be on when driving but I may be mistaken..
You are correct, Ford site says they turn off at 10 MPH. Hopefully they come up with a way to leave them on.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I put a standard webcam inside the trailer, looking out the back window. In my Safari 25 I mounted it to the underside of the overhead cabinet; in the Classic I screwed the mounting bracket to the bottom of the window frame. I put an inexpensive wireless router in the middle of the trailer and use an app on my iPad in the truck. I made a stand for the iPad that fits in one of the console drink holders out of a PVC pipe adapter. I found an app that has the capability to reverse the image left to right and top to bottom. Both the camera and the router operate from 12 VDC and I plugged them into adjacent cigarette lighter power outlets.

Name:   IMG_0534.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  40.0 KB

In my particular setup, the data flow is not consistent. The best rate I have been able to get is about 2fps, and it sometimes locks up for several minutes. I think the problem is the app itself because when I log on to the camera directly the frame rate is as configured, i.e. 15 or 30 fps. So far the app I am using is the only app I have found with the necessary capability to reverse the image.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote