Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Durham , North Carolina
new 23' FB issues????

we've just purchased a new 2011 23' FB International--YIPPEE!!!!

wondering what others experience has been.
good points/bad points and/or things to look out for or double check???

we were dealing with upper frig exterior vent leaking into bottom frig vent. we think we have it fixed. the flange in the upper compartment had a 6" gap in it that was only covered with aluminum tape that had failed so that water just cascaded into lower vent area & from there, wherever it wanted to go. we first spotted it coming under the frig onto the floor inside!!!

fortunately, we noticed it while on an AI unit rally & with help from an AI buddy we filled the gap with a piece of angle aluminum & sealed it with Parbond.

now have noticed that newer trailers in dealership do not have a 6" gap--it's a continuous piece of aluminum flange. obviously, Airstream changed the design or they goofed on ours.

thanks to all for any insights, thoughts, comments.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
While I'm not exactly sure of what you're describing, the two exterior vents are synergistic. With the fan working, air is sucked through one opening and out the other to pull air through the fins on the back of the refrigerator.

I would caution you not to interrupt that flow of air. That said, you've still got warranty on your AS and should take it to the dealership to have it checked out.

The cooling fan of the refrigerator is probably the only sore point I have with my trailer. The fan runs continuously. A trip to the dealership for me was the solution; they installed a switch in the wardrobe next to the refrigerator. Problem solved, with a good night's sleep assured.

That said, the water issue (and it showing up under the refrigerator on the floor) is something that needs to be addressed.

Good luck to you!!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would be more concerned with the water coming into the upper (or any) fridge vent. Where is that coming from?

Some water may enter as wind blown rain, or towing in rain, but not much. I don't know what others do, but when washing the trailer I am very careful not to spray water onto the fridge vents. It will mostly surely end up inside the trailer, and possibly between the floor covering and plywood subfloor.

As for opening from top vent to bottom, my 25' is wide open inside but don't know about a 23'. I took the extra step of sealing all screws, lines, tape at the bottom of the compartment with sealant to keep any water from draining to the floor.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Retired, "sort of"

2015 25' International
Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Tumajin Send a message via Skype™ to Tumajin
We have a 2011 23 FB International and have not experienced the problem that you describe. Water or gaps in the refrigerator external compartment should be reported as a warranty issue to your dealer. Other than incidental water from rain or washing, there should be no water in the refrigerator compartment. As for the fan, I removed the factory unit and installed very quiet computer fans in the lower and upper compartment. The lower fan pulls in cooler air and the upper fan pushes the hot air out.
Tumajin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 international