Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
LED Lights... Too blue?? Harsh in the morning...

We've had our '15 intl serenity now for a while, and what I've learned is that the lights inside are harsh... especially in the morning.

They are like.. very blue or something - zero warmth to them, and if you get up before the sun comes up and start flicking on lights - it's just weird.

I'm wondering if this bothers anyone else? And I'm wondering what you might have done about it?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Depending on the specifics of the LED bulbs in your trailer, if it is a real concern to you, you should be able to replace them with LED's having a warmer colour temperature.

Probably worth experimenting with a replacement bub before you buy a whole bunch in order to get one that suits you.

Here is info on colour temperatures.

Choosing Color Temperature

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The ones supplied by Airstream are, in my opinion, way too "cold" that is too blue white, especially when used with all the shiny aluminum interior walls. I believe that they are in the range of 3500 to 4000 k in color temp. An incandescent light and most halogen lights are in the 2700 to 3000 k range, much "warmer" in that they are yellower and not as blue.

Like you, I disagree with Airstream's choice. The only real way to change it is to replace the lights themselves. Some may recommend color filtering gel's but they simply take out more light and make the fixtures less efficient.

You might look at my post on using household 120 volt LED bulbs for a nice warm home like look, at low cost and low energy cost.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...am-126542.html
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Color temperature and color rendition matter greatly to some people but don't seem to bother most.

Poor color from the lights absolutely drives me up the wall. My trailer predates the LED era having been made in 2010. It has fluorescent lights. The originals had a blue cast, and after quite a bit of searching I found some that have a more natural color.

Not sure quite what to suggest for your LEDs, other than replace them. $$$
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Always found that the Warm White for indoors, Bright White for outdoors, both from DAN, have worked very well for us over the years...

Bob
Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Color temperature

Cool, blue, or daylight LEDs have more light output than warm. Warm (color) lamps create more contrast with ambient daylight, which I think is a good thing, but some would want to attenuate. My trailer is dark inside so I run my 12vdc LEDs -- all the lights in the trailer -- during the day, even boon docking. All the lighting, including the LED ribbon lights inside the upper cabinets (which are on a micro switch) total fewer than 35watts at 12VDC. And they are all warm as measured in Kelvin.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I also have a 2015 International Serenity. All the LEDs except the 2 lights with lamp shades are on the cool side. The interior design of the International Serenity is bright with the exposed aluminum skin and the light reflective cabinets. I believe that's why the interior designers choose a cool LED. As a professional photographer, I am always dealing with light temp. and I like the cool LEDs
hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiedog View Post
I also have a 2015 International Serenity. All the LEDs except the 2 lights with lamp shades are on the cool side. The interior design of the International Serenity is bright with the exposed aluminum skin and the light reflective cabinets. I believe that's why the interior designers choose a cool LED. As a professional photographer, I am always dealing with light temp. and I like the cool LEDs

I replaced all of my non-LED lights (2004 Safari) with warm LEDs from M4 Products (M4products.com) and although it was not cheap, the lights are almost identical to the non-LED as far as color. Initially I replaced the first bulb in the set of two on each fixture. When I saw the color matched, I replaced the remaining ones. I find the blue depressing.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
That is the reason I would NOT buy a new motorhome as they all come that way and being a migraine sufferer makes me way sensitive to that light for some reason!
In my opinion.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I agree that the Warm White is much more acceptable inside. Like stated above order a few from Led4Rv from Dan and try them out.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Try putting photo gels in various colors in the lenses to soften the lights...lots cheaper than new bulbs... and you can figure out what works for you without the expense...then you can always replace the bulbs later. (We personally now like the bright white lights, though admittedly, it did get some getting used to.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
This thread addresses the same problem for Interstates; it may help you trailer folks:
Getting rid of fluorescent light look - Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Converted all lights in our 2010 FC to warm LED, didn't like at all, then converted the warm to bright daylight (6500). Love it now.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I bought some 12V LED bulbs at Batteries+Bulbs, I can't tell them from the old original bulb. Have to remember which ones are the new LED. Spendy though, at $20 a 200 lum bulb.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
My family and I also didn't like the cool blue LEDs that come with the trailer. But many folks do like them. Definitely a personal preference. But you have plenty of company .

I too worked with Dan at LED4rv to swap out bulbs and fixtures. He is a good man. dan@led4rv.com

Good luck!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #16
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post
I find the blue depressing.
What's funny to me, funny odd, not hah hah, is Airstream cannot be bothered to build their trailers with color-changing LEDs. In other applications I have used, for more than twenty years, RGB LED clusters -- Red, Green, & Blue -- with which one can dial from warm to cool, with simple ease, precise selection. With 256 of each color, one can produce more than 16 million colors. What's more, for more than twenty years this technology has been programmable to cross fade from, say, a preselected "daylight blue" cool color temperature to an "incandescent lamp" warm color temperature.

In fact, for fewer than two hundred bucks, one can replace the MR-16 lamps in their track lighting with RGB LED lamps that can be controlled (as just described) with one's smartphone.

Yawn,
Michael (retired film lighting gaffer)
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post

In fact, for fewer than two hundred bucks, one can replace the MR-16 lamps in their track lighting with RGB LED lamps that can be controlled (as just described) with one's smartphone.

Yawn,

Michael (retired film lighting gaffer)

I think "mic drop" would fit better here than "yawn" 😉

Oh, can you give us the source for the controllable RGB LED lamps?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I'm glad I'm not alone, thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
can you give us the source for the controllable RGB LED lamps?

Apple and Philipps collaborated on a 3-pack available everywhere <http://tinyurl.com/o3an5lj> A a start-up, Color Kinetics, was acquired by Phillips (for $800 million) <
Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I found the cheaper bulbs were typically more blue. I sorted through three rounds of purchases and then landed with a supplier and a color that I liked.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote