Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #41
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I installed two warm white LEDs in our 1992 Classic recently. The warm white units were purchased from M4Products.com. The exact model is 1156-24-5050 WW. Until then we had only used 1003 model incandescent bulbs.

I've included some photographs to see the changes. The first is both incandescent bulbs. The second is one incandescent (on the right) and one warm white LED. Notice the LED seems more yellow/green. The third is both warm white LEDs in place.

I believe the pictures to be relatively indicative of the color differences between the incandescent and LED. However, when both LEDs are installed the color does not seem as dramatic to my eye. I guess I acclimated to the warm white quickly. When I had one incandescent and one warm white installed it was very obvious there was/is a difference in color and my eye/brain did not like having one of each installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	incandescent.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	251126   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_incandescent_on_left_one_warm_white_led_on_right.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	251127  

Name:	warm_white_led.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	251128  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Stagespot.com gels as a solution

Hi guys,

I read up on the recommended gel filters and got some from stagespot.com. Thanks to other posters on here, that info is available.

Gel Sheet - Lee - 506 - Marlene - GELSHEET-LEE506

One sheet is plenty to do the whole set of lights. So far the light is much less harsh, though I might even go with something even warmer. The Marlene natural filter does a great job softening the light. Lore has it that Marlene Dietrich insisted on this gel for all of her shots... not sure if that's true or just a story, but it softens skin tones and keeps it from feeling like a surgery in there.

It's easy to pull the lights out. Very gently pry at the edge with a sharp knife. I used a traditional pocket knife with a rounded portion of the blade. It's a little like trying to open a clam. Just be super careful to not slip or you can scratch the ceiling or cut yourself. I used the top of a vitamin bottle as a template and I cut out about 20 of the disks and just slipped them in. Super simple.

There's also a shot of the LED assembly inside in case anyone is curious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	318219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	318220  

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	318221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	318222  

tbennett017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #43
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbennett017 View Post
Hi guys,

I read up on the recommended gel filters and got some from stagespot.com. Thanks to other posters on here, that info is available.

Gel Sheet - Lee - 506 - Marlene - GELSHEET-LEE506
Thanks for the source and the recommendation. Going to the website there are so many choices and I didn't see a way to really evaluate what effect/ how much of a change they would produce. It is impossible to show pictures / colors of a translucent product. So, I got the large sheet of LEE506, but also saw their Warm Sample set and ordered it too... $28 including shipping and had them very quickly. The sample sheets are about 6 x 6 and can get maybe 9 cutouts from a sheet

Three layers (506 only) in the main area that can also be dimmed, easy enough to remove a layer is it proves too dark, but I think it is perfect. Where I thought I might need a stronger light (over sink, e.g.) I went with a single layer and 2 layers in other locations. Then I used the 506 in combo with some of the ambers (Harvest Gold - Sante Fe Amber in particular) in the overhead cabinets and love love love it. The only lights that I didn't / couldn't tone-down is the range hood since there are not LED and get very hot... halogen??

I would have spend beaucoup $$ without you guys and gals... my wallet thanks you.

A tip for removing the glass cover and ring. I used a very small precision flat blade screwdriver, pushed it in between the glass and ring and pulled down. Some are difficult but possible. You don't need to remove the entire fixture.

The iphone camera is lacking, but here's a couple of after shots.
WW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	318262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	318263