Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
My family and I also didn't like the cool blue LEDs that come with the trailer. But many folks do like them. Definitely a personal preference. But you have plenty of company .

I too worked with Dan at LED4rv to swap out bulbs and fixtures. He is a good man. dan@led4rv.com

Good luck!

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #16
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post
I find the blue depressing.
What's funny to me, funny odd, not hah hah, is Airstream cannot be bothered to build their trailers with color-changing LEDs. In other applications I have used, for more than twenty years, RGB LED clusters -- Red, Green, & Blue -- with which one can dial from warm to cool, with simple ease, precise selection. With 256 of each color, one can produce more than 16 million colors. What's more, for more than twenty years this technology has been programmable to cross fade from, say, a preselected "daylight blue" cool color temperature to an "incandescent lamp" warm color temperature.

In fact, for fewer than two hundred bucks, one can replace the MR-16 lamps in their track lighting with RGB LED lamps that can be controlled (as just described) with one's smartphone.

Yawn,
Michael (retired film lighting gaffer)

"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post

In fact, for fewer than two hundred bucks, one can replace the MR-16 lamps in their track lighting with RGB LED lamps that can be controlled (as just described) with one's smartphone.

Yawn,

Michael (retired film lighting gaffer)

I think "mic drop" would fit better here than "yawn" 😉

Oh, can you give us the source for the controllable RGB LED lamps?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I'm glad I'm not alone, thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
can you give us the source for the controllable RGB LED lamps?

Apple and Philipps collaborated on a 3-pack available everywhere <http://tinyurl.com/o3an5lj> A a start-up, Color Kinetics, was acquired by Phillips (for $800 million) <
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I found the cheaper bulbs were typically more blue. I sorted through three rounds of purchases and then landed with a supplier and a color that I liked.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2019 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
I have used yellow elections tape, it has helped.
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Strong vote for Warm LED color temp here. The cool white only looks good in a display case.

Some evidence that the bluish light won't do your sleep cycle any good also.

I'm sure the programable RGB with a day-night cycling program will come out eventually. How we ever went camping without programmable color LEDS like in the 787 is incredible.
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Funny, we went the opposite way with our lighting. However we've decorated with neutral colors and dark browns in our '01 Limited. All the incandescent lights made it not only looks "dark" inside it also ate up a bit of "juice".
We came up with a compromise..... (my wife likes the warm white and I need the natural white )
We replaced ALL the bulbs in the Airstream, But....on all the dual light fixtures, we put in a warm white bulb on the first illuminated bulb and a natural white bulb in the second one. So in the mornings we switch the fixtures once to illuminate just the single warm bulb, and later in the day (or night) we hit the switch again to illuminate both the bulbs and get a nice "mix" of both lights that is bright , but not blinding.
We went through M4 Products as well. Yes, the conversion can be pricey, but, I believe they will pay for them selves in less than a year and they last forever and put out WAY less heat than the old filiment bulbs.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Anybody know if on the new trailers can the LED "bulbs" be changed out of the recessed fixtures or are they an integral part of the fixture and require changing the entire fixture?
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Anybody know if on the new trailers can the LED "bulbs" be changed out of the recessed fixtures or are they an integral part of the fixture and require changing the entire fixture?
that's what I'm wondering. I just need to pull one down and look... but of course, I hate to start yanking on stuff cause......
Old 10-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
It was fairly simple to change out the ceiling fixture LED lights on our 2015 FC 25 (requires cutting the wire that the existing LED is attached to and reattaching the new LED with its wire). Note: Our friend's 2015 Sport 16 does not have ceiling LED bulbs.

The reading lights that pivot required a new fixture (looks identical to the original fixture) and I am still needing to figure out the white plastic framed lights (the ones in the bathroom, above the dinette, etc.).

LED4rv has videos showing how to switch out LEDs.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Meeks, so you had to replace the entire fixture not just the bulb? Seems like that would add a lot to the cost.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
HiJoeSilver,
To replace every LED and fixture, (reading lights were the only complete fixture replacement) in the Airstream FC 25' (assuming I figure out an equal cost white plastic LED replacement; see one of my previous posts) cost between six and seven hundred dollars. I'm traveling and don't have access to the numbers to see exactly what I spent, hence my price range.
So, yes, a bunch of money to be sure but now we are very happy campers. Worth every penny to me and I would do it again on any rv I owned in the future. Previously on each trip I felt like every time we turned on the lights I was in an office with fluorescents or an operating room. Again, this was my feeling as I know many folks really like the bright white light and dislike the warmer (read, more yellow) light.

If this is more than you want to spend (and of course, you don't have to switch every LED like I have) search the forum for posts where folks used yellow/amber filters to achieve a similar effect at a fraction of the cost. I remember one poster who was quite pleased with their results.

Whatever you do, I hope you find something that works well for you. Light (like certain noises) makes a big difference to some people like me and perhaps you .