Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I am in a quandry about where to go to get service. I really do not need anything major. The Airstream specific issues include adjusting the door so it closes easier and snugs up to the jamb. The rest is just brake service and re-packing the bearings (which I guess I could try to do, but would need a torque wrench) and checking the AC unit.

Maybe I should try Traveltime or see if Lewster is coming through this spring. The door adjustment is the main concern. I do not want to spring it out of shape.

If Colonial service is anything like their parts department, then they would be a great choice. Too far for me. Maybe I should check out the dealer in Salt Lake.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
If Colonial service is anything like their parts department, then they would be a great choice. Too far for me. Maybe I should check out the dealer in Salt Lake.
The dealer in Salt Lake used to be Ardell Brown and they had a great Airstream service dept. They sold out to Camping World, and now they don't seem to know much, or care much about Airstream service.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Steamy1,
After the bad service and cold welcome at Windish,I went back to my dealer that I took my MITCHELL 5th wheel four 4years and when I had a MITCHELL class c motorhome I took for 3years. I took our AS to Nolan's RV to have some work done where I know that the work would be done right and you pay a fare price. Jack has taken very good care of all our campers and boat for years and I would recomment there service dept to anyone new in town.
Jim
Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
Steamy1,
After the bad service and cold welcome at Windish,I went back to my dealer that I took my MITCHELL 5th wheel four 4years and when I had a MITCHELL class c motorhome I took for 3years. I took our AS to Nolan's RV to have some work done where I know that the work would be done right and you pay a fare price. Jack has taken very good care of all our campers and boat for years and I would recomment there service dept to anyone new in town.
Jim
Jim,
Thats for the reference! Sounds like a good option. Do you think they would know how to deal with the door situation? I guess I thought that knowing how to work with the aluminum would be somewhat specialized. Maybe its not as complicated as I think it is.

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Twist & shout!!

Quote:
Jim,
Thats for the reference! Sounds like a good option. Do you think they would know how to deal with the door situation? I guess I thought that knowing how to work with the aluminum would be somewhat specialized. Maybe its not as complicated as I think it is.

Thanks,
Steamy,

Is the door hard to operate all the time.... hitched, un-hitched, stab's up & down, tongue high/low?

Our door can be difficult if the body is stressed, not level and too much pressure on the stabs and tongue jack causing the body to twist. Doesn't take much.

Bob
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What Bob said.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
The Airstream specific issues include adjusting the door so it closes easier and snugs up to the jamb.
Your door latch operates with difficulty? Current door latch mechanisms tend to be lightly lubed and close incompletely or with difficulty after a while. If this is the case, get some LPS-1 (not WD-40) and put its little squirt tube into every opening you can find along the jamb and give little shots of lube in any direction that makes sense. I have to do this periodically -- every other year at least.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I agree with Bob Cross about the door not operating as easily if the trailer is stressed because the stabilizers are jacked down unevenly. Also when I first got my trailer, the door did not latch easily without a big slam so I lubed the catch and that helped some. With more time and making several camping trips, the door has become much easier to close and latch tight. At first I thought I would need to take it in and have the door adjusted. I am now very happy with the way it works.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder

The dealer in Salt Lake used to be Ardell Brown and they had a great Airstream service dept. They sold out to Camping World, and now they don't seem to know much, or care much about Airstream service.

Stan
Salt Lake City
The service personnel have not changed, so they know how to fix an AS. But you are right about management, they don't seem to care about AS, or even want to sell one. I went in to learn about the Eddie Bauer, and the salesman did all he could to dissuade me from buying another AS, and showed me all the other models that offered, according to him, "better value". And he knew I had bought an AS there two years previously. (btw, the interior of the SOBs are really ugly, aren't they?)

I buy locally whenever I can. I shop for value rather than price, and the fact that my money is staying home is intrinsic value. But if I have to travel for quality service, like Gene, then I'm happy to do it. What else do I have to do? The warranty is a non issue, the warranty is valid at any dealer or service center, not just where the unit was bought. Warranty work is very profitable for the dealers and a good dealer will do quality work for anyone who comes in, and is glad to get the business. I can't imagine a dealer giving scheduling preference to a local over a "drive in". The drive in is usually an emergency,while the local is at home sleeping in his own bed. I would expect my dealer to work on the drive in before mine. Can you imagine being 1,000 miles from home with a major problem and being told work couldn't commence for a week because of local appointments?

I was a Toyota dealer in a prior life, and although the business is not exactly like that of an AS dealer, it is close enough for government work. I valued my repeat customers and gave them incentives to bring me their cars for service. I gave them sporting event tickets, Christmas presents, and birthday cards, but never better service than anyone else who trusted me to fix their cars.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
My personal opinion only is BUY LOCAL if you can. Be able to reach out and touch what you are buying. If not local find something you can buy NO OVER a DAYS DRIVE from you. Some dealers are really not that friendly is what I found. They only want to make a sale. Thier service depts maybe great though,so it might be of benifit to get to know them.
If and when you buy ASK QUESTIONS HERE FIRST before ya plank down da money.
Lots of expertise here just ask.
GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to AIRFORUMS
ROGER
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Steamy,

Is the door hard to operate all the time.... hitched, un-hitched, stab's up & down, tongue high/low?

Our door can be difficult if the body is stressed, not level and too much pressure on the stabs and tongue jack causing the body to twist. Doesn't take much.

Bob
Bob,
When shutting the door from the inside, I have to almost slam it to latch, and when closing form the outside, push really hard. And it does not seem to seal against the weather stripping. I have tried adjusting the screen door, which helped it close easier, and have tried various weather stripping metheods. I guess I am trying to achieve a snug fit that resists cold air from leaking around the door and does not feel so hard to latch. I thought it would be a good idea for someone who has experience working with AS and knows all of the little tricks to work on it.

It does not seem to make a difference if the stabalizing jacks are down or stowed. I just do not like having to slam the door with what seems to me to be excessive force.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I live in Texas and purchased my AS from a well known Florida dealer in 2011. Very easy to deal with, signiificantly easier to deal with and cheaper than Texas dealers. Pre purchase inspection was not a problem, camped next door the first night and went back the next day with some small items.

AS is currently at a Texas dealer getting some minor warranty work done. Warranty work finished and taken care of. Currently waiting on a flag box from JC. So far service has been smooth. They contacted JC, received authorization and worked thru the list. They could care less where it was purchased.

As far of the door issue, there is a video on Utube somewhere that may help. Our screen door was a little out of line and after watching the video, fixed it in about 5 minutes.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #33
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1
Bob,
When shutting the door from the inside, I have to almost slam it to latch, and when closing form the outside, push really hard. And it does not seem to seal against the weather stripping. I have tried adjusting the screen door, which helped it close easier, and have tried various weather stripping metheods. I guess I am trying to achieve a snug fit that resists cold air from leaking around the door and does not feel so hard to latch. I thought it would be a good idea for someone who has experience working with AS and knows all of the little tricks to work on it.

It does not seem to make a difference if the stabalizing jacks are down or stowed. I just do not like having to slam the door with what seems to me to be excessive force.

Thanks for your interest.
I have the same issue with the exterior door ( not the screen door - the outside door). Is seems like the hinge side of the door sits too far in the frame. Maybe if I shimmed the hinges out? Does anybody have the link for the YouTube video mentioned in this thread?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Whack carefully at your own risk....and NEVER in front of the customer.
Whacking procedure starts @ 3:44.
Bob

Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #35
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Whack carefully at your own risk....and NEVER in front of the customer.
Whacking procedure starts @ 3:44.
Bob

So......not exactly the method one would presume. Priced like a Lamborghini, but assembled like a Lada I suppose. Thanks for the link Bob. I'm going to have to think about this. Serious harm may come to me if I show up with a taped-up hammer and a block of wood to start pounding on her prized trailer. She may apply some serious pounding on me instead. Strong willed women in this neck of the woods, btw. Maybe the door is ok as it is.

Watching the video I am aghast at the noise level and apparent lack of hearing protection by the presenter and the one worker in a few of the frames. Hopefully this is an anomaly and they have adequate HSEQ standards. Don't know how AS would afford the insurance premiums otherwise.

Don
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Bob,
Thanks for the video!! Just viewed it tonight. Have been out of the country and just returned, so did not have a chance to see it until now.

I'll try a low level adjustment as shown and see if I can improve the door closing. I have adjusted the screen door in the manner described and have been able to stop it from hitting the bolt.

Any major adjustment does not look like it is for the faint of heart. Maybe a little tinkering will work.

Again, thanks for the follow-up!

Steamy1
Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Don't get too nervous guy's.....

Concise whacking has been used in the auto repair business for as long as I can remember.

cirri-us though...it is the quickest way to align the post style door striker, when the mfg. see's fit not to provide a locking adjustment plate....... along with closing the door on a two-by-four.

Whack gently though, it's alwayz harder to de-whack than whack.

Bob
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I went into Ardel Brown

They got bought out by Camping World. Yes they have no AS to look at new or used. When I saw one on KSL we quickly pulled the trigger and bought it. There parts department is wack, not sure if girl behind counter has mental issues. I played along for 15minutes to 30 minutes waiting then lost all patience. I now order all my parts online. You can special order trailer through them just the way you want it but $$$$$ going to cost you big money. Hope to heck your not talking about Yota dealer in sandy, those shiats owe me money I am sending gwedo to collect. OO I bet you are Menlove dealership they were pretty dam good bought Tacoma from them for great deal.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #39

Currently Looking...
Winchester , Kentucky
Post The Way to Do 'it'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
I live in Denver but, have been checking across the country for our new AS. Is it best to stay local so one develops a relationship with a dealer when it comes time for repairs et al.? Any suggestions for honest, knowledgeable and reputable dealerships is greatly appreciated.
Travel Bird,
For what my opinion is worth, you can be the judge. I don't own an Airstream but have been researching/looking for my 'ideal' Airstream for ~ 2 years. I have read most ads on this site and others. I have talked with dealers around the GREATER Ky area [really no dealers in Ky but the States around Ky].
Two weeks ago, I went to Jackson Ctr about 3 hours up the road and took the tour, asked [too many questions ] and picked up all the pamphlets etc. Even got a little 'retour' because I wanted more details.
Depending on whether you go M-Thurs OR Friday, you can get up close and personal with diff models of Airstreams in various stages of finish. You see all the processes that go into making the AIRSTREAM of today. There are new things, materials, devices, gizmos and quality checks added ALL the time e.g. LED lighting throughout, metal cutting techniques which reduces ragged edges, interior design changes...I could go on.
In summary, IF you want a NEW or OLD Airstream, you will never understand what they are and aren't until you visit the plant and see them made, ask questions about the processes, ask the 'people' whether it's better to buy new or rennovate an older model etc.
Most importantly, when I returned from 'the tour' and spoke with the same dealers [most of them], I realized I knew MORE about Airstreams than they did.
It's the same thing with my truck [Dodge dually]. Whenever I take it to the dealer OR my fav oil change place, I watch what they do and don't do and ask them everything about the fluid level ...I just went yesterday for oil change which is supposed to include all fluids. I knew the young man did NOT check the power steering fluid. Called him on it when I was checking out. It was on 'min line.' So, they get poor evaluation

Put it this way....if you are going to spend big bucks for top of the line product, NEVER trust anyone else to take your purchase i.e. your home as seriously as you do [or should].

Here's my two cents..... for me, I plan to get a recent USED model. I know how it was built, what bugs it might have and what needs to be done. I know what I want to add and what is not essential.

If money is no object, design one with Jackson Ctr and have it built the way you want it. You can watch it being built if you don't mind the cornfields of Ohio. If you do it that way, the 'dealer' won't matter in the long run. btw, you can get a fairly good idea from Jackson Ctr what dealers are 'good' and what dealers 'need improvement.'

DISCLAIMER I do not work for Airstream nor am I a dealer. I am receiving no financial renumeration for my opinion.
Just like great products.
unremitting7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Hellava first post!!!!

That ain't two cents....more like ten bucks worth.

Keep up the good work...

Bob

Tags
2011 international