Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
There is frequently a sign on the back of big trucks "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you"

A spotter must be trained to position himself/herself to always be able to see you in the mirror and also the possible obstructions.
Of course I still don't know what all those different arm waves mean
There's a reason it may be tiring getting in and out and walking back . . and the spotter has nothing to do with it. That being for the best based on previous experience. We need a break from each other (or, did) and I'm no picnic with this long swing to calc. She went for a walk and checked facilities.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Z, I have never seen the 28' in person. Only the 27' and 30'. I should look for a 28' that I can go inside of. Starting to second guess myself now. OIY!!! Windish does not have one to look at. Will be in TX this weekend. I'll search some dealers there to see if anyone has one!
Stop by our rally at the Roadrunner RV park this weekend. You will see trailers of various sizes you can look through.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #43
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi TravelBird

Welcome to the forums

Much good advice above. There are a few things others may not have made clear:

1) I'll reiterate what others have said above: Length is mainly a problem for individual campsites within a campground. Campground operators try to fill smaller sites first, so it is most unusual to find that there's no way to stay at a particular campground because of trailer length.

2) There is nothing magic about any particular size rig. If you look hard enough there are individual campsites of all imaginable sizes. The smallest are usually intended for tent campers, but with a small rig RVers can fit. Consider Carley State park:

Camping & Lodging: Carley State Park: Minnesota DNR

There's a 30' length limit for tow vehicle+trailer which as a practical matter means that you can't fit a trailer in there. But this campground was built specifically as a reliever campground to ease demand for rustic tent spaces at nearby Whitewater State Park. I've been there and in practice sites vary in size, though they are sloped it is possible to get a trailer in there if you're good.

3) In most but not all cases you can overcome length restrictions by parking the tow vehicle separately. There's usually a parking lot for guests or boat trailers or whatever that they will let you use. Even if there is policy against it often they will make accommodation if you ask politely.

4) The continuum of mobility tradeoffs has truck campers (and 4 wheel drive B vans) at one end and very large class A motorhomes at the other. At remote, rustic sites ground clearance is the major barrier with traction also being a consideration. Airstreams have poor ground clearance. Small 5th wheel campers work better because the suspension lends itself to being lifted and because the hitch is out of the way of the road.

5) With a 25' or a 30' in practice the biggest size limitations are going to be: ground clearance, overall WIDTH, and turning performance. I've never been anywhere with my 30' where I wished I had a 25' though I've been places where I wished I had a truck camper.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird
Z, I have never seen the 28' in person. Only the 27' and 30'. I should look for a 28' that I can go inside of. Starting to second guess myself now. OIY!!! Windish does not have one to look at. Will be in TX this weekend. I'll search some dealers there to see if anyone has one!
You guys are planning on buying new, aren't you? Just remember that, weight issues aside, it's really more about the layout than the length, from what I can tell. (I know CanAm has 28' trailers on their lot, though.) As others have mentioned, a foot here or there isn't going to make that much diff in which CGs you can use, it's mainly what layout you can have. If you know you want certain things in your layout, that'll help you make a decision about length if you're buying off the lot.

I was buying used, so I had to go with what was available. Due to certain health issues, a 16' didn't work for us because of the bed, otherwise I'd be sitting in a 16' this minute! Your situation is different. (Remember that you can also have custom work done on your trailer if you're buying new from the ground up, too.) From a philosophical standpoint, I feel it's best to go with the smallest whatever-it-is that works for one's needs, otherwise it becomes conspicuous consumption.

The Bambino can't fit as easily where a 16' trailer can, and a 30' trailer can't always go where a 25' trailer can, nor be quite as nimble. I can't wear camel and pink, a color combo I love, without looking like I died. It's kind of the same thing. We all have restrictions! Get the layout that works for you, or it won't matter what what CG you can fit in--you won't want to spend time in it if it doesn't work for you.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The 27 footer is a nice option, 1 foot bigger than the 25 but with that bed switched around I think it might be a tad bit more comfortable than my 25 was...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Stop by our rally at the Roadrunner RV park this weekend. You will see trailers of various sizes you can look through.
Thanks, Bruce!! We will see you all on Saturday afternoon in the Texas Hill Country. I have all the info. from the Rally thread. Really looking forward to it. Will be our first Rally that we get to witness. Cheers!!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
The most difficult parking we ever encountered was in a BC Provencial park. The sites were long and accommodating; however the access road was narrow with a high center crown and ditches on either side. We must have tried six or seven sites before finding one we could maneuver into.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Yea - time to restart the Ralley season...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 international