Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

2015 25' FB International
Reno , Texas
How to keep sliding cabinet doors closed?

When traveling our sliding cabinet doors slide open and contents fall out. Any ideas or devices to use to prevent this?
AS2015Ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One way to reduce the "things fall out" part is with spring loaded curtain rods. They are dirt cheap at just about any "home goods" store.

Depending on exactly how your sliding cabinet doors are done, something in the track is generally the first thing to try.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I put a magnetic catch on each panel of the sliding doors on our bathroom cabinet. Works well.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We have the sliding plastic panels with finger holes in both ends. A properly sized rubber cork in one of the center holes stops casual opening on the road neatly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
We painted some 1/2 inch dowels gray with a hard clear coat that sit in the tracks of both sliding doors. We just tuck them inside the cabinet once we arrive and pull them back out before we depart.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
We painted some 1/2 inch dowels gray with a hard clear coat that sit in the tracks of both sliding doors. We just tuck them inside the cabinet once we arrive and pull them back out before we depart.
1/2" Plastic PEX tubing also works in the same way to keep the doors from sliding open.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS2015Ser View Post
When traveling our sliding cabinet doors slide open and contents fall out. Any ideas or devices to use to prevent this?

Champagne corks worked for us! And just a small piece of paper towel wedged between the medicine cabinet doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2947.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	288843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	288844  

MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Take half of a wooden clothes pin. Slide between door panels. Acts as a little wedge to keep sliding doors closed for me.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How to keep sliding cabinet doors closed?

Didn't consider a clothes pin wedge! Also a good simple but effective idea.

Corks in the holes have a slight advantage in probably not causing scratches. The champagne cork looks decorative as well[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I took a thin sock, put some coins in the toe and tied off the toe. Then added a wine cork and tie off again with some string. You can be fancy and chose the sock color and string to match/ contrast your decor. When getting ready to travel, line up the holes and push the weighted coins through the lined up holes, with the sock covered cork fitting snuggly in the 2 lined up holes. These have stayed in place throughout bumpy roads, and the weights help them stay in place. We bungee cord the kitchen sink and other paired cabinet doors with minature bungees too.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
I cut a 1/4" dowel, tapered it a bit, and drilled holes opposite each other, in both sliding doors, near the bottom of the doors. Takes a little tweaking, but works well, and is inconspicuous. Put a little key spring thru a small hole drilled in the end of the dowel, which helps to remove the dowel, and can be swiveled & tucked behind the aluminum trim, to keep the dowel from falling out.
rogerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
We had a problem with the upper locker cabinet doors sliding in our 2005’ International. It had 3 panels, some time later Airstream changed it to 2 panels. We bought the 1” tapered black rubber stoppers at Home Depot and pushed them in the finger holes to keep the doors from sliding.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Chattanooga , Tennessee
Securing Sliding Cabinet Doors

I've had issues keeping the sliding doors secured while traveling with our 2018 International Serenity. Lots of spilled cargo. I now secure them with what's called a push button clevis pin. The one shown is 3/8" diameter with a 1" working length. When you push the button it slips into the drilled holes and stays put. Pushing the button releases it. Got them at West Marine, and they're stainless steel. Matches the trim well and it's hard to see the hole in the door when not in use. After several trips of use I'm pleased with how they work.

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	370980

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	370981
RWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bathroom under sink cabinet....

Another use for velcro...fuzz on the jam, hook on the door edge, slide closed and wiggle up & down.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-22-2023, 10:52 AM   #15
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Hi. I have not been on the forum since 2016. My 2004 ccd has the sliding doors and i always thought they could have done something with these doors. You pay top dollar for an rv and you expect to get some doors that keep shut. In the past we used black pipe foam to stick in the holes but i always thought it was cheezy.
So i machined up some knobs that go in the holes. These are friction fit with 2 settings. You push the knob in all the way and it stops the doors from sliding. You pull the knob out 1 click and doors can slide freely and the knobs don't fall out. They are held in place by friction of the rubber.

The machined knob with 2 rubber o rings , 1 ring holds the knob in so they dont fall out. The second ring allows the knob to click in and out holding the slider closed and open.

The knob installed in the closed position, knob pushed all the way in. It clicks into place rubber o rings hold it in position.

The knob pulled out 1 click, it remains out and door slides freely.

Knobs in place . Looks great, works great. No cheezy holders.

zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
Hi. I have not been on the forum since 2016. My 2004 ccd has the sliding doors and i always thought they could have done something with these doors. You pay top dollar for an rv and you expect to get some doors that keep shut. In the past we used black pipe foam to stick in the holes but i always thought it was cheezy.
So i machined up some knobs that go in the holes. These are friction fit with 2 settings. You push the knob in all the way and it stops the doors from sliding. You pull the knob out 1 click and doors can slide freely and the knobs don't fall out. They are held in place by friction of the rubber.

The machined knob with 2 rubber o rings , 1 ring holds the knob in so they dont fall out. The second ring allows the knob to click in and out holding the slider closed and open.
Nice work.

We use these Sliding Glass Door Ratchet Lock with Chrome Finish. We don't lock them, Just slide the cylinder on.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Quote:

I am still using the same champagne corks! However I really like these machined knobs that you made!! Great idea!!! I might have to get creative and look for something similar. Later this year I will also try sanding the inside of these sliding doors. Over the years two of my sets of sliding doors are starting to look rough.

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:56 AM   #18
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:

The knob installed in the closed position, knob pushed all the way in. It clicks into place rubber o rings hold it in position.

The knob pulled out 1 click, it remains out and door slides freely.

Knobs in place . Looks great, works great. No cheezy holders.

I love the creativity to solve problems. Well done!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 03:25 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWallace View Post
I've had issues keeping the sliding doors secured while traveling with our 2018 International Serenity. Lots of spilled cargo. I now secure them with what's called a push button clevis pin. The one shown is 3/8" diameter with a 1" working length. When you push the button it slips into the drilled holes and stays put. Pushing the button releases it. Got them at West Marine, and they're stainless steel. Matches the trim well and it's hard to see the hole in the door when not in use. After several trips of use I'm pleased with how they work.

Attachment 370980

Attachment 370981
this is brilliant
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:37 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
@Zedex
That’s a great solution that is both elegant and functional. You could patent and sell that idea to Airstream.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote