Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2016 - Current International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Question Hello Airstream Community-International Signature Query

Hi there~

Thank you in advance for your helpful assistance.

My husband and I are planning on purchasing our first RV/Airstream trailer but we are needing assistance in navigating our choice. We reviewed everything from the International Signature line and have come down to two choices: 2016 28' or 30'. Please advise cons/pros for either size and if there is something we should be aware of with this particular model. We are NEWBIES and this is a big purchase for us plus the fact that we need to purchase a TV-we are looking at Dodge Rams-probably 2500. Whatever we purchase will be the "only one" going forward.
Solar panels, is not having them a deal breaker? We'd like to keep the trailer in AZ; (2) AC units vs (1) AC unit? Manual crank vs Power crank on the awnings? Equalizer hitch w/Dodge Ram good for this trailer?
I'd like the idea of it being more compact at the 28' length but is there regret in not going with the 30' for the extra storage, bathroom space?

For those of you who have the experience with these particular models, your feedback is valuable to us. Thank you very much~Denise
teamfriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Some of your question are easy others not so much.
Good weight distribution hitch a must
2500 Ram a good idea when you get over 25 feet
Larger bathroom? How much time do you stay in it?
Storage space is more important if you use it for longer time periods, we usually take trips of less than 2 weeks and never use all of the storage space in our 25 foot.
Two ac units a really good idea for southern climates,

Solar - not so important unless you do not do a lot of dry camping, We use a pair of Honda 2000 generators when we dry camp and feel this is a better solution. If you are dry camping in northern climates solar would be pretty good. AC needs lots of power in Texas and Arizona, enough so that we never dry camp during hot months.

You are going to love one of these units. They are very comfortable and pull great. Enjoy what ever you chose

Dennis
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

How do you plan to use it ?

Road trips?
Winter home ?
Park it at a family members house?
Wilderness camp?
Boondock?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Since I had a 2012 28' Intl Signature and now have a '15 30' Classic, perhaps my experience applies. When I ordered the 28 I did not order the 2d A/C. I ended up having it added later. One 15,000 BTU will cool a 28, but marginally, especially the rear of the trailer. The '12 didn't have ducted air, either. The major difference we've found with the extra 2 feet is storage and space in the bathroom. The 28 is very snug, and the 30 does give you more room. Both are really nice trailers, but it is amazing what an extra 2' provides. I remember when I bought my first Airstream, I was set on a 25. Some wise soul said, pick out the trailer you want, then get the next longer trailer. I did and it was the right move for me.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
I bought an International Signature and added solar. At the time I bought it I did not anticipate storing it however we moved and our circumstances changed. I love the solar. It keeps my batteries charged when it's not plugged in (in storage).
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
So far after being at several rallies and around Airstreamers I've never once heard someone say they wished they went with a smaller trailer. I recommend you go to a chapter meeting and meet some people. Ideally you would visit an AS rally and talk with people about their trailers and the plusses and minuses. I will tell you that we've been at several rallies that arrange a field trip to a local AS dealer. The biggest trailers are the ones with a line waiting to get in to see them ..
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Experienced

Hi there,

We have owned a 28' International Signature and now have a 30' International Serenity.

We wouldn't trade the 30' for anything. It is amazing how much more room there is in it compared to the 28'. There is a longer kitchen counter, a pantry, larger closet - need I go on?

As to towing,we can't say that we really noticed any difference between the two. We have towed both with the 2012 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and have never wanted more power (better gas mileage, yes).

If you are using the unit in Arizona during the summer we would definitely go for 2 A/Cs.

Solar is nice to have (we have had it on both trailers) as it allows you to boondock as long as you don't want to use A/C. Then you would need a generator.

Can't honestly comment on the awnings as we have never owned the power option. The manual awnings are easy to set up and take less than 3 minutes to set up or take down.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfriis View Post
Hi there~

My husband and I are planning on purchasing our first RV/Airstream trailer but we are needing assistance in navigating our choice. We reviewed everything from the International Signature line and have come down to two choices: 2016 28' or 30'. Please advise cons/pros for either size and if there is something we should be aware of with this particular model. We are NEWBIES and this is a big purchase for us plus the fact that we need to purchase a TV-we are looking at Dodge Rams-probably 2500. Whatever we purchase will be the "only one" going forward.
Solar panels, is not having them a deal breaker? We'd like to keep the trailer in AZ; (2) AC units vs (1) AC unit? Manual crank vs Power crank on the awnings? Equalizer hitch w/Dodge Ram good for this trailer?
I'd like the idea of it being more compact at the 28' length but is there regret in not going with the 30' for the extra storage, bathroom space?

For those of you who have the experience with these particular models, your feedback is valuable to us. Thank you very much~Denise
Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I tow a 2002 Classic 30 Slideout (9100#) with a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel and an Equalizer hitch. I have never experienced any sway that concerned me. I do feel a light push when an 18-wheeler's front gets to the junction of the truck and the trailer but it is about the same as the push I feel when I am in the truck without the trailer. It's barely noticeable and doesn't always happen.

I do not have the second AC and wish I did. Like BAB I will probably end up adding it. We went from a 25 with 2 recliners and no dinette to the Classic 30 with a front sofa and a dinette in the slide and like it better, but the sofa does not provide the head and neck support that the recliners did. I'm working on how to add a full length matching headrest to the sofa.

We really like the split bathroom of our 30 which can be separated from either the rear bedroom or the kitchen/living area with sliding doors. Closing it off from the front gives a nice dressing area adjacent to the hanging locker. We have the twin bedroom model so there is a nice long hall from front to back.

You may experience slightly more difficulty finding sites for a 30, but it depends on the type of camping you plan to do. RV parks are generally no problem. Slightly more of a problem in state parks, and probably more so (although I have no direct experience) on Federal lands.

As someone said, I don't know anyone that wishes they had a smaller trailer.

Good luck in your choice and welcome to Airstreaming.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Suggestion

Take a look at the 27' FB. It's actually inches longer than the 28' so it may be a good compromise. Shorter is better in some campgrounds. We have this model with two air conditioners.

Get the trailer without factory solar installed. Instead, have a quality system installed by someone like Lew Farber/AMSolar when you are financially ready. Will be cheaper in the long run and will work efficiently. (Satisfied customer).

You are going to have so much fun, especially if you enjoy learning and don't get too frustrated easily.
RPVEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Welcome to the forums, and to Airstream!

All good advice!

We took a long time to make our decision and went up one size from the 25 and bought the 28 International Ocean Breeze (preceded the Serenity) new in 2009, with factory solar and a single 13,500 BTU AC unit.

I fell in love with the CCD Signature design, but after spending A LOT of time sitting in Airstreams, my wife persuaded me that the Ocean Breeze was more our style, because it is way lighter inside (white cabinets instead of dark Wenge--striking but dark!) We have Airstream neighbors at the park in which we summer who have become great friends. They have the CCD Signature design in a 2008 28'. After going back and forth from both coaches for several seasons now, they vastly prefer our interior to theirs. So think about that one--and we paid 5K more for the Ocean Breeze and do not regret it!

28 vs 30. Long time friends of ours who led us originally into RV'ing and have owned every things from 23ft "lite" travel trailers to 750K huge diesel pushers, were Airstream holdouts because they love their recliners. When i sent them a picture of the new Airstreams with recliners, they finally ran out and bought one. They bought a 30'--their truck was easily able to handle it, and they were used to huge motorhomes or Fifth wheels.

We have different needs--as windsurfers, we need a lot of secure storage space for our voluminous but lightweight gear. We used to tow the 28 with a 3/4 ton Suburban, but when we went to replace it, found the newer suburbans had a smaller opening in the back that put it out of the picture. We went for SUV over pickup because with a van or SUV, you get longer interior storage for the same length vehicle--some of our gear was longer than 8'. And an 8' bed on a full cabined pickup truck is a super long vehicle, difficult to park both at some windsurfing sites, and certainly in mini-malls and for parallel parking in cities! So we ended up with the lowest, shortest Mercedes Sprinter, and this has so far served us well. But it made the 27 or 28 the largest AS we'll ever be able to tow without replacing the Tow vehicle. By the way, there is much controversy over different Weight Distribution (WD) devices, but we really like our Equalizr and appreciate it's lighter weight over some of the other hitches.

Interestingly, some people here expressed their love of the longer hall that you find in both the 27 and the 30 over the 28 (and you should definitely look at the 27 if you like the 30.) That's exactly what we DIDN'T like--in spite of the added storage AND the ability to have a pantry with a microwave in it (the real tough one for us as in the 28 you must upgrade the oven to a convection/microwave which you cannot run without electrical hookup, generators, or a huge (translation--expensive!) solar system.) The long hallway makes the trailer noticeably darker--and we love light!(Remember our white cabinet walls in the Ocean Breeze!) The 28' also has a shower spread over both sides and in between the bedroom and the main living area, so can provide privacy, separate dressing room, etc., so that's not really a consideration.

Negative of our 28' over the 30? Less storage including no pantry, slightly smaller living area, actually higher tongue weight!!!!
Positive of 28' over 30--more light inside, less overall weight, definitely easier to maneuver in tight spaces (no real difference on the highway), will fit in more campsites, better gas mileage towing with the lower weight trailer.

AC--if you're in Arizona, two are a must. We've actually been fine with our single, smaller unit, but one afternoon and night in Saguaro park that started in April at a cool 108F, we knew enough to plug the electric and turn on the AC before doing anything else! We hiked a bit outside (with lots of water), and by the time we got back, the coach was comfortable enough to sit, but not sleep (I like it cold). But once the sun was no longer beating on the AS, it cooled in a few hours to a comfortable sleeping temp. But summer? 120 degrees? No Way!!!

Solar--Factory solar has improved-you get 160 on the roof instead of our 112 factory kit. But that's really only enough for weekend trips or summer trips in climates with no clouds, and keeping our batteries topped off in the winter while in storage, which can prolong their life. But the solar converter is the same bad 1 stage converter. So the advice to find Lew Farber (Lewster) if you can afford to have it done professionally, is excellent. You'll spend some $$$, but he's extremely knowledgeable and a meticulous craftsman. We have a thing against generators, having boondocked for years in the past in very close quarters. Those with generators did not buy them for quietness, and I've yet to see a generator parked next to the user's trailer--almost always on a nice long cord next to someone else's! Nothing like sitting outside to enjoy cocktails with friends and watch the sunset over the water with a roaring lawn mower next to you. But if you're going to dry camp in Arizona summers, you'll need to have a long conversation with Lew as to the size, weight, placement and cost of a solar system to handle your particular needs if you don't want to carry a brace of generators in your truck.

Our philosophy when we go camping--even when we're in one place for 2-3 months, is that we're camping! OK, glamping--my wife delights in taking a day off from windsurfing to work in the small galley all day preparing the same gourmet meals that she serves to guests at home. But when we switched from our first trailer--a box Fleetwood 30' with WAY more storage than a 30' Airstream, let alone a 28', and I had added a large storage box on the back--I was delighted with the design and tow-ability of the Airstream, but concerned about her ability to deal with reducing storage by maybe 70-80% (we never towed the Fleetwood more than 2 miles, so weight was not a concern.)

We actually took everything out of the Fleetwood and spread it out by room on our garage floor at home, and went through every item. If it had not been used in a year, into the trash! Then we weighed everything! We decided what was good and what we wanted to upgrade, and it was not hard at all--we actually don't even use all of our cabinet space in the 28', even when on the road for months. But although we have an aerator for French wines (it's a travel version, and fits in your palm), we don't have a coffee grinder or brewer at all, but use a single cup filter in a plastic cone that sits on our mugs and we make one cup at a time. We long ago decided not to hang any clothes, and she has found wonderful lightweight plastic stackable drawer units to we have fit into all of our cabinets to maximize storage. We pack about 15 days worth of clothes--laundry day twice a month. We enjoy the challenge!

Enough for you to start with! Whatever you decide, there will always be more to learn, and you will have fun!

The attached photo is taken on a rainy, overcast day in the lower Sierra Nevada outside of Bakersfield--how to spend the late afternoon when it's not nice outside!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauser_AS_sm.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	267431  
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfriis View Post
Hi there~

Been there done that.
Bought a new 28' International Signature in 2012. It was our very first RV of anykind. After using it about 10 months we found it a little cramped with 2 old Sheppard dogs. One day I was measuring the trailer to pave a pad for it and found to my surprise it wasn't 28' long it was more like 27'. It was 28' with the The trailer coupler. So we decided to look into a larger unit. We looked at the 2013 30' International Signature and found it to be a lot more comfortable and the layout was also much better. First of the trailer was a full 3' longer. Had a toilet which really got me interested since in the 28' its very small, and wardrobe was also larger which got my wife's attention . And the final point was the dinette and galley layout making for a much better traffic pattern. In the 28', the dinett being on the entry side we could not open both windows while having the door open on nice days. Needless to say we made the trade the next day. We have been enjoying the 30' eversince. Had we done research on the Airstream site like you we could have avoided the cost and the hassle.
Since we already purchased a new F-150 Ecoboost for 28' I decided to try it pulling the 30' for awhile to see how it would work. To my delight there is no difference other than having to be more careful while pulling away from fuel islands and turning before the back end clears. I learned quick though having broken a rear side marker.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Welcome!

If you are looking at used Ram 2500s avoid 2007-2009. I bought a very nice 2008 6.7 diesel megacab last year. I really like the truck. Tons of power, decent mileage, drives great, and very comfortable.

2007.5 was the first year of the diesel particulate filters. I found out why someone was selling this very well cared for truck. The emissions system is a very expensive PITA. Same issues with Ford in this era. Just beware if you find a "smokin" deal on one from this generation.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #13

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Thumbs up Thank you-

Hello Everyone~

Thank you so very much.
Not only for assisting me to get to the right placement on the forum but also for the valuable time that you have spent sharing your advice. Really, I truly mean that.
I don't have a definitive update as this is a process at the moment but I did want to comment that we did look into the 27FB. I liked the extra room provided without going too long. Unfortunately, my husband really likes the couch at the end, as opposed to the dinette for comfort ability. The only deal breaker there was if the Pendleton model had still been available because I really LOVED the back door opening & design (similar to EB model). He would have given that up for me if had been an option 1) to secure one and 2) fiscally worked.
Alas, so that is why we were looking at the 28' vs 30' International Signature. The points that have been made both with towing vehicles as well as reasons for and against the lay-out are making us rethink. This is very good. I asked for advice because we are looking for personal experience.
Here are two factors; currently the 28' would fit in our driveway. The 30' would not. We ultimately, within 6 months, would want to move the Airstream to AZ and keep it there but there is the issue of temporary storage in the interim, etc locally. In AZ, I would be living solo in the trailer part-time on a random basis-a few months at a time so the questions regarding the additional options, solar, storage space, AC are key to that issue. Otherwise we would pull it and travel from AZ together. We were also advised against purchasing a generator until we used the trailer enough to know if we needed it. We will be looking at trucks this weekend so we can get a "whole" package price. Thank you again. Denise
teamfriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I was a tractor trailer driver for over 30 years before I became an Airstreamer I have a 1978 31 ft International that I've pulled several thousand miles with my old GMC gas powered 8cyl 2 wd p/u went to YK over 7000 mi round trip when trk was 13 yrs old. I have since bought another new GMC same as the old one just a 2014 model and towed my trailer to Louisiana last December 1300 mi one way got 15.5 mpg. I would NEVER buy a new Airstream! If I were buying another one I would invest in a 1970 something that's been refurbished, they are MUCH better built then any of the new A.S and cost far less then any of the new models. Also the longer trailers are away easier to back up! Good luck and welcome !
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
We are newbies and recently purchased a 2016 Serenity 30'. Just came back from a 6 week trip. Absolutely love it! I was amazed at how roomy and comfortable it was to live in. The 2 extra feet makes a huge difference. We live in FL and traveled out west to Colorado. Very glad we got the 2 AC units. The 2 regrets - wish we had gotten the automatic awning. It is a little cumbersome to open and close the awning. Many times we did not put it out due to weather, while we would have put it out if it was just a push of a button. We did finally purchase straps and anchored the awning and then we were more comfortable putting it out. The other regret was getting the microwave/convection oven instead of the oven. The convection oven is not very efficient, so it will not be used much. We did 98% of our cooking either on a grill or an induction stove outside. We were told by an Airstream representative that the solar panels they are installing are not very good, so I wouldn't purchase. You can always add on later. We purchased 2 Honda EU3000i Handi generators and we were able to run both A/C units without any problems. Good luck with making your decision. Hoe this helps.
3dawgnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Full confession: I moved from LA to Seattle largely because I don't like hot, & while LA in the late summer gets over 100, Seattle rarely climbs over 80.

We've just returned from the Lewisburg, WV rally, & my immediate impression there was "North, North, North" as fast as my 27 FB could carry me. Days in the mid to high 90s & 100s just don't do it for me. Finally, in the upper, upper peninsula of Michigan (as in Copper Harbor), I found some relief, whew.

And so learned why people buy 2 air conditioners, as our one AC would reduce the outside temperature by only around 15 degrees, so our trailer, even running the AC 24 hrs/day, seldom got below the low 80s except possibly at night.

Bottom line: I missed the boat & should have gotten the 2 ACs unless I wanted to stay above the 45th parallel --- or maybe spend big time in Alaska.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote