Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #57
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9 View Post
We do have two front hitches, but they are on either side, not the middle, so problematical for hitching...
I don't know how else you would use a front hitch with a trailer that's nearly 10 feet tall. When you hitch up in the front, your mirrors are useless pointing in the direction you are not going. So you would want the trailer offset to your passenger side so you could see down the drivers side (which is the curb side of the trailer now). Unless you are backing straight up (in which case you shouldn't need a front hitch) or to the drivers side, you're blind because you are too close to the front of the trailer to see where the other side of the trailer is going... I like front hitches, for bike racks.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I guess I would opt for a storage facility where I don't have to back my AS in at a 90 degree angle.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I don't know how else you would use a front hitch with a trailer that's nearly 10 feet tall. When you hitch up in the front, your mirrors are useless pointing in the direction you are not going. So you would want the trailer offset to your passenger side so you could see down the drivers side (which is the curb side of the trailer now). Unless you are backing straight up (in which case you shouldn't need a front hitch) or to the drivers side, you're blind because you are too close to the front of the trailer to see where the other side of the trailer is going... I like front hitches, for bike racks.
The front hitches I have seen are usually offset toward the passenger side of the truck. Done the proper way, the driver can see down the curbside of the trailer when pushing the trailer backwards.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #60
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Our front hitch is dead center; I don't have any problems seeing when I step out of the truck . The point of the front hitch is really to make it possible to turn more tightly; visibility on the outside of the turn is still impossible.

I guess most of my tight turns w/ the front hitch have been to the left (or with a rig I could see over), so my offset position in the driver seat helps; turning to the right would be harder.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 international