Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Dometic AC Unit Maintenance

I know I have all my manuals in one, convenient location, I just don't know where that location is right now. Regardless, I thought I'd ask the group:

Apart from cleaning the (ducted AC inlet) "filters" in the ceiling, are there any other locations in the Dometic rooftop unit that need or can be cleaned?

When my unit comes on there's just a slight hint of mold smell that comes out. She lives in a garage attached to my main garage and I pretty regularly go in and check things out. It's humid here now so plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong with moisture. I can easily pull the unit apart but I seem to remember it being basically "maintenance free" until it starts acting up. That's never the case though.

Thoughts appreciated! (If there are other topics which cover this subject, feel free to share links instead.)
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Anybody have thoughts in this?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Not a wise old Airstreamer yet... but for long term I’d suggest a good dehumidifier in the garage and/or in the Airstream. It’s often recommended for one that’s sitting for a while since humidity is a known headache causer. Might have something to do with current issues. Might be that drying it out might help ya lose the smell in the short term? Smarter people than me would know for sure but the humidity issue is a real biggie.
GL

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Dehumidifier inside the trailer may help reduce the effects of the humidity in the garage and the lack of periodic sun to dry the trailer.

There is no maintenance to the unit above the roof. Over time and depending on the amount of usage you may want to get some "coil cleaner" and wash the evaporator coil form the inside just above the filter. This will increase air flow and cooling capacity. Maybe every 5 years or so.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have smelled that musty smell on many automotive type or residential AC unit after it has been off for an extended period. Just let it run for a while and the odor will dissipate. If the odor bothers you, turn on the exhaust fan with a window open.

There is no maintenance on the roof top part of the AC unit that will affect odor on the inside, unless the condensate drain gets blocked and overflows in. Outside and inside air are separated by a barrier. (except some 1970's and older models had a fresh air intake)

Maintenance I have done on the rooftop unit:
1. Clean the condenser fins, every 5 years or so (as Howie said). I cleaned a couple for friends that were so clogged with dust and bugs that they thought they needed a new AC unit. After cleaning the AC worked fine.
2. Spray a 303 Aerospace protectant on the plastic shroud, spring and fall, to protect it from UV damage.

There was a recent thread about adding cleanout plugs to the drain cups of the condensate drain system.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...be-182389.html
I think this is a good idea, being able to clean the cups and allowing algaecide to be put into the system. This might be one additional step I add to my AC's maintenance schedule.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
KLK
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Wimberley , Texas
Maintenance on Dometic A/C

My Dometic A/C isn’t cooling as well as it used to. I clean the filter, but an A/C man who was in my area told me to get up on top of my 1966 Sovereign and clean something up there. Can I walk on top of my Airstream without damaging it? I saw a post about someone creating a scaffold by placing wood between ladders on each side. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

On the newer ones you can get on the roof but you need to stand on the rivets that go from side to side of the trailer. It's very slippery if there's any moisture so be careful. Makeshift scaffolding sounds about as good of an idea as gas station sushi to me!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
My Dometic A/C isn’t cooling as well as it used to. I clean the filter, but an A/C man who was in my area told me to get up on top of my 1966 Sovereign and clean something up there. Can I walk on top of my Airstream without damaging it? I saw a post about someone creating a scaffold by placing wood between ladders on each side. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
On the newer ones you can get on the roof but you need to stand on the rivets that go from side to side of the trailer. It's very slippery if there's any moisture so be careful. Makeshift scaffolding sounds about as good of an idea as gas station sushi to me!

Heh HLK, congratulations on have such a trouble-free vintage trailer (I see this is your first post).

You may want to get it looked at by a professional. It may just need a coil cleaning, but other than that or fixing a drain problem, there is little that is servicable.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #9
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Get one of these, run 20 minutes with AC on. Kills mold in areas you can’t even get to. Also leaves trailer smelling fresh and sanitized I use once a month.

“Eliminates virtually ANY mal-odors from mold, cigarette/cigar smoke, pet odors, paint/cleaning fumes, dust, water damage, smoke damage, cooking odors, and other airborne irritants.”

I use in the TV to AC on circulation for 10 minutes. Orders gone.

A friend with a 1970 AS used and the old smell was gone...

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JA...op_mb_pd_title