Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dickinson , Texas
Differences between model years

Hello folks,

Is there an easy way to find out what changes were made at the factory from year to year within the same model?

We're looking to purchase our first Airstream (we've had a Class A, 5th wheel and a Class C in the past) and I'm having a hard time trying to find the factory options from the last few years (2015-2017).

One of things I like about Airstream is they don't change much year to year. I know in 2015 ducted A/C was introduced and Ocean Air shades replaced metal blinds around then, or so it appears. What else am I missing?

My wife and I like the International Serenity 28 FB and I'd like to buy a used one. Preferably a 2015, but I can't figure out what we're loosing between a 2017 and a 2015 . . . if anything?

Thanks for the help,
Lee
Grouser012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Other than looking at the marketing announcements for each year ... not so much that is short and concise. Given the rather vague nature of those announcements, they are not as useful as they might be. There are any number of threads here that go into exhaustive detail each year. Digging through each of them is a bit of work.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Tall order.
Some lengths have several models that all change yearly.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Differences between model years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser012 View Post
Hello folks,
My wife and I like the International Serenity 28 FB and I'd like to buy a used one. Preferably a 2015, but I can't figure out what we're loosing between a 2017 and a 2015 . . . if anything?
Lee

Few other key item I can think of are the black vs grey exterior skirt, new step like the classic, improved foam in cushions, black out curtains, solar prepped with zamp connection on the roof and battery box, and 2018 now becoming available with the improved converter.

I am sure there are many others but these are the items we have been keeping our eye on. I personally like the grey vs the new black and we could live without all the others except the foam upgrade which we upgraded ourselves anyhow.

I would make sure any used or new option includes the curb side awnings as I find those way more useful then the items listed above.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:49 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
Few other key item I can think of are the black vs grey exterior skirt, new step like the classic, improved foam in cushions, black out curtains, solar prepped with zamp connection on the roof and battery box, and 2018 now becoming available with the improved converter.

I am sure there are many others but these are the items we have been keeping our eye on. I personally like the grey vs the new black and we could live without all the others except the foam upgrade which we upgraded ourselves anyhow.

I would make sure any used or new option includes the curb side awnings as I find those way more useful then the items listed above.
The 2017 has directional vents for the ducted air (the 2015 did not, from the factory), and the 2018 no longer has a water filter of any kind.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dickinson , Texas
Thanks for the info. I did some digging on the forums and was able to find a few of the changes. I also found a few more pieces on dealer sites. I'm pretty sure I have all the major items. Even if it's only a couple of years old, it's amazing how quickly this stuff fades away. Thank you for the help.

Here's a partial list of 2017 changes:

What’s new in 2017: International
• Twin models available in 25’ floorplans and larger
• Improved overhead locker doors (Signature)
• Blackout curtains for better rest
• Additional comfort added to the sofa in our 28’ and 30’ floorplans
• Second Quietstream AC now standard on both 30’ floorplans
• Nev-R-Lube axles standard across the line
• All models now have 12” brakes and 15” wheels and tires
• Heavy-duty stabilizer jacks now standard on all models
• Upgraded Airstream custom aluminum steps (Thule aluminum single-step on 19’ floorplan)
• 4 external pre-wired solar ports (3 on the roof, 1 near the hitch)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You probably should look at the floor plans in detail. There are year to year tweaks that don't make it into the verbiage.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Check out the extensive walk through videos Colonual Airstream has on YouTube.

They usually highlight things that are new for the model year.

Can't say specifically if they have what you are looking for, but worth the try. Bonus would be that you would actually see the change as opposed to reading it in print.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We posed a similar question about 2 years ago when we were first beginning the purchase process. It would be really wonderful if there were a database somewhere that one could pull up but unfortunately there is no such animal.

One change that was made to the 19' for 2018 that I haven't seen listed is the counter to the right of the galley sink was extended toward the dinette and a small cubby area added underneath.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Ellicott City , Maryland
We've been looking as well, and don't find a 28 FB International. There's a 27 FB but 28's all have rear bedrooms near as I can tell. But oddly enough they're about the same length.

Like others, we just comb through the features year by year and try to tell the subtle differences to identify features we like. We've narrowed in on 28 International Signature, late model, and are keeping our eyes open. Enjoy the search!
McLaurinOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaurinOTR View Post
We've been looking as well, and don't find a 28 FB International. There's a 27 FB but 28's all have rear bedrooms near as I can tell. But oddly enough they're about the same length.

Like others, we just comb through the features year by year and try to tell the subtle differences to identify features we like. We've narrowed in on 28 International Signature, late model, and are keeping our eyes open. Enjoy the search!
The 27FB model is actually an inch longer than the 28 (which is a rear bed)...welcome to the Airstream model naming protocol!! (The 25 comes as a FB or RB, but the "27" or "28" comes as a 27FB or as a 28...I hope you got this as there's a quiz at the dealers before they will let you in!)

quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Rubber end pieces were added to the bumper and interior threshold in 2016. These are easy to order as parts (I did) to add to any previous year. I received directional vents as standard in my 2015 as it was a late build, just prior to the 2016 production start. I also have a three stage converter, standard.

In the 2017 models, I see the step has changed to aluminum on the Flying Cloud and the curtains let less light through.

2016 also added the LED light strip to the awning.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaurinOTR View Post

Airstream does not offer a FB model of the 28.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Sedona , Arizona
For 2018 I believe 25' to 28' now come with 15" Goodyear Endurance tires. These are load range E tires and are much better suited than the previous 15" Goodyear Marathon load range D tires previously included. If you are trying to buy a used 28' you may want to plan for new tires if it is equipped with the Marathons. The Marathons do not hold up well and if they are over 3 years old they will definitely need to be replaced.
Wadestearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dickinson , Texas
This might need a different thread . . .

I found a 2015 International Sig 28 that is very clean for 75K. I also have a 2018 International Sig 28 at the dealer that is MSRP for 106K. A little math says 106k x 18% = 19,000. So 106-19=87K

I can buy used for 75K or I can buy new for 87K. Granted I know next to nothing when it comes to resell values on Airstreams, but a 13K depreciation for three model years doesn't seem like much. Is this normal?

Is there an industry quide to help determine the value of a used Airstream? The NADA book is a PIA to use.

That's why I was asking about the differences between the years. Trying to understand what the price is based on.

Thanks for the feedback, every bit helps.
-Lee
Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Generally AS owners think their trailers are worth about double from their real worth.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Airstreams hold their value better than any other travel trailer.

I purchased a 2005 BH in 2007 for 38k used.

I sold it for 35K in 2014 as a dealer consignment at my local dealer. That price included having the dealer bring it back up to near perfect condition. It was a bunk house, which are rare and could have helped.

I've noticed that used prices have been going up over the last few years.

For used: Look for any filiform corrosion on a used unit. Filiform corrosion will not affect functionality, but it does affect value and aesthetics. Inspect the underside for rust. Insure all systems are in good working order. Make sure the floor is dry and solid, no leaks, no mold. New tires might be needed.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dickinson , Texas
Thanks for the tips everyone.

The FC 30 bunk was our initial choice, but they're harder to find then an accurate weather forecast. After 2 months of looking, we still haven't seen a Bunk despite being surrounded by 3.2 million people. I figure if I look at enough Airstream Classifieds, RV Trader and Craigslist ads, at some point I should get a feel for pricing.

We've been entertaining ourselves reading through the staggering amount of posts on this forum. There's so much to be learned from here. . . . my head hurts

-Lee
Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a 2014 Intl Signature 27FB and would be happy to answer any specific feature questions for that model year. Two things for sure: 2014 did *not* have ducted air, but it did have a built-in inverter.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dickinson , Texas
Rocinante, I found your posts 2 days ago and read every word. Thank you for making the time and sharing your story. It was very helpful, especially useful to me are your cell phone solutions.

We're off to Oshkosh this morning (Airventure) for 4 glorious days of nothing but planes!

Thanks,
Lee