Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2011 - 2015 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Corrosion Starting on 15" Wheels

2015 Intl Signature 25FB purchased new. Maybe 10,000 miles on it. Always stored inside.

Starting to get what I would call filiform corrosion at the holes in the wheels. Some are less than half inch, others growing to an inch. Still within 2 year warranty and have not discussed with dealer yet.

Does anyone know what the factory's position is on addressing this stuff. Is it "normal" even though it's anything but normal? Better yet, is it treatable?
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Are you sure it's filiform corrosion and not just some bearing grease that has leaked out?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
2015 Intl Signature 25FB purchased new. Maybe 10,000 miles on it. Always stored inside.

Starting to get what I would call filiform corrosion at the holes in the wheels. Some are less than half inch, others growing to an inch. Still within 2 year warranty and have not discussed with dealer yet.

Does anyone know what the factory's position is on addressing this stuff. Is it "normal" even though it's anything but normal? Better yet, is it treatable?
Can you post a pic? Mine are getting corrosion also, not a big deal since I'm replacing them with 16s but it still looks bad on such a nice trailer.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Are you sure it's filiform corrosion and not just some bearing grease that has leaked out?

Well, it's definitely corrosion in that it doesn't wipe or scrub off. It's white and for lack of a better word, "veiny."
Old 12-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Well, it's definitely corrosion in that it doesn't wipe or scrub off. It's white and for lack of a better word, "veiny."
That's what I have. It's not structural, won't cause a wheel failure but looks awful.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Can you post a pic? Mine are getting corrosion also, not a big deal since I'm replacing them with 16s but it still looks bad on such a nice trailer.

I have it in storage now but will get a pic the next time I get there. It's white and "veiny." Appears to be sub-surface as I cannot feel them when I rub it.

We live on the coast but 5 miles from the ocean and in completely covered storage. I don't mind something showing wear and tear when I've worn it and torn it but this thing lives the high (and dry!) life!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:

As a maintenance advisor to an aviation group, I am often asked similarly questions such as "What is the factory's answer to such-and-such?"... or "Do you know if the factory can supply such-and-such?".... and I cannot help but wonder: Why in the heck are they asking me such a question? Why the heck haven't they called the factory to receive that answer directly?

...at which point they could post that answer and truly help the community out with what they've found...
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
It is moisture getting under the clear cote it does it on automotive wheels also all you can do it refinish the clear cote . The older Alcoa wheels didn't have clear cote they would tarnish and could be polished out but not these . My truck wheels are doing the same thing when I get new tires I will deal with it .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
That's what I have. It's not structural, won't cause a wheel failure but looks awful.
I promise you, it will be structural if it continues to progress!

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
It is moisture getting under the clear cote it does it on automotive wheels also all you can do it refinish the clear cote . The older Alcoa wheels didn't have clear cote they would tarnish and could be polished out but not these . My truck wheels are doing the same thing when I get new tires I will deal with it .
Right. Aluminum that is clear coated, and that clear coat damaged, will sooner or later get it. Thus the massive thread on skin corrosion, wheels, cast aluminum parts, etc. You can go a long way to stop new areas from forming on the wheels by spraying them with "Boeshield T 9". Clean the wheels well, dry, then spray the Boeshield on heavy. Let dry a day then wipe the excess away. A thin film, unseen, will remain and do a lot to keep any new filiform from starting.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The Sendel wheels do it too. I specifically picked wheels when I ordered them by rejecting any that had finish defects. Just under one year I started getting the corrosion. Sendel has a 1 year finish warranty, but I didn't do anything about it in time. Looking for ways to clean it up. Thinking about a Dobie pad or mild Scotchbrite pad and Corrosion-X, polishing as required. I won't have a chance to do it until New Years holiday but I'll post results, good or bad.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
The Sendel wheels do it too. I specifically picked wheels when I ordered them by rejecting any that had finish defects. Just under one year I started getting the corrosion. Sendel has a 1 year finish warranty, but I didn't do anything about it in time. Looking for ways to clean it up. Thinking about a Dobie pad or mild Scotchbrite pad and Corrosion-X, polishing as required. I won't have a chance to do it until New Years holiday but I'll post results, good or bad.

Al

PLEASE DO. Feel free to DM me as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Why the heck haven't they called the factory to receive that answer directly?

We're in the same business... And the answer is: Because Cessna will LIE TO YOU and so will Pratt while you're under warranty. So I'm trying to see if anyone knows the standard line. I will be calling Airstream though and will report back with a transcript.

My entry handle into the main door is doing this as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
We also had 15" Sendels on our 28' International 2009 for 7 seasons until last year when we replaced with the same pattern in 16's. We travel to the saltiest open water in North America fir a month, but the rest of the time were by freshwater and 100 miles inland. we also store in SoCal, a semi-arid climate, 100miles from the coast. we wax the wheels about 5 times annually.

We saw very slight start of filiform corrosion in one place only. But this season we're seeing it just start in tiny spots along the rivet line (in spite of regularly rewaxing that area since it was new.)

Our handle came diacolored ftom the factory, but has not worsened.

For the gentleman who stores 5 miles inland, are you downwind of the saltwater for the prevailing wind? It is possible that you are getting salty air under those conditions.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Filiform will not affect the structural integrity, it's only cosmetic.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1481429360.954236.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	276546 A closeup of the corrosion as its started. This was the worst one but it is starting on each of the holes. It's interesting to me that the direction of the "veins" is with the tires rotation. It's not vertical.

I did call and leave a message with Airstream-JC this situation on Wednesday, Dec 7, 2016.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1481429719.830371.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	276547 A similar story on the faceplate of the furnace. I believe this is purely for aesthetic purposes and can easily be replaced. Same type of corrosion though clearly!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Just noticing the rusty screw... how the heck...? *facepalm*
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Filiform will not affect the structural integrity, it's only cosmetic.
That is entirely dependent upon the item suffering corrosion.
A wheel spoke that is 3 inches thick with surface filiform is unlikely to have any problem for many years. But a stringer or bulkhead made of .032 aluminum with the same corrosion can be weakened in only a few months.

It's the percentage of material suffering corrosion that matters. Less than 10% of depth being injured by corrosion is unlikely to be anything other than cosmetic. But exceeding 10% can be structurally compromising. (This is the standard used in most aircraft structures, .... but leaving any corrosion untreated is not approved. All corrosion requires treatment or removal.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Stringers do not get filifoam, it's just rust. Filifoam is only on the aluminum I believe. You are talking about the frame stringers? Again the filifoam is only cosmetic, never heard of it causing a structural problem.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote