Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Runnells , IA
Bathroom mirror for short people

In our 2014 International, I can only see the top of my head in the lifting mirror on the upper cabinet unless I back up into the doorway. I'm 5'2"---on a good day. I'm guessing that I'm not the first short person to notice this issue. What's worked best for fixing the problem?
sid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
That's why there is a small shelf next to the toilet in older models. In your case, you might want to add a makeup mirror with double aided tape to the wall.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You could get a small bench and stand on it—plastic benches are easy to find in fine stores everywhere. Or wear 5" heels, or stand on the toilet.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
picture of the mirror? if it has a top hinge it might be able to be extended out to change the angle.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
We too have a 2014 International. Ours is a 27ft FB and my wife had the same problem. I regret having no pictures to send you but the "Dream" as we call her is currently in the shop for a minor remodel, however I can tell you how we fixed the problem.

In the shelf/tray-like area under the mirror I installed an additional mirror along with a very small strip mirror on the facia of the shelf. I secured both with a mirror track the glass shop sold me and used mirror adhesive. Buy the thickest mirror stock they have; ours for both pieces, the track and the adhesive cost about $80. I am told two-sided tape is better (amazing what you learn after-the-fact). You must counter-sink the screws that secure the self to the wall so the mirror is flush against the wall, if you don't it will likely break. Be sure (hindsight is 20/20) to leave at least a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the shelf's mirror so it can be placed in the track, and at least a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch on the ends of the same mirror. These gaps help "cushion" the flexing of the trailer and will save you from breakage. The facia mirror can be tight from top to bottom and on the sides as it does not rest against an interior wall. We only recently installed these, but have taken numerous trips over some pretty bad roads and so far so good. By the way, this addition looks really "bitchin" (sorry Mom'), and fellow Airstreamers who visit like the upgrade and always ask how they too can do the same.
There you have it, problem solved; good luck.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Bathroom mirror for short people

I bought a good-quality rectangular mirror on a stand at IKEA ("TYSNES"mirror, $15) that we pull out for the kids (stored in one of the nightstands when traveling/storage). They like to look in a mirror when they brush their teeth. I'm thinking of installing a longer rectangular mirror inside one of the wardrobe doors eventually, but I haven't gotten over my no-drill hangup yet.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Actually my solution was to marry a woman who is 5'9". This not for everyone because there is a "short" supply of tall women and for those happy with altitude challenged wives, not a solution at all.

As for children who want to see themselves when the brush their teeth, I suggest teaching them where their teeth are. I don't look in the mirror and so far, at least, I have not stuck the teethbrush (it is for all your teeth, not one tooth), in my nose.

Is the reason pigs can't put lipstick on because they don't have mirrors or because they don't have lipstick?

I'm here to help.

Gene

Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Runnells , IA
Thanks for your 'help'.
I grew up on a farm w/ many pigs. I can attest to the fact that we always had lipstick available for the sows---but not the boars! (If you've been following one of the Airstream FB pages, this will be more meaningful.)

So---I can only assume that the problem was with the mirrors.

Thanks for your help, Becky
sid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I have the exact opposite problem: I am 5' 17" tall, and I get a sore back from stooping when I try to shave in our TT.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Understand. I'm 5 foot 12 inches tall and have similar issues. And yes, that is my official height according to my draft board.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I have the exact opposite problem: I am 5' 17" tall, and I get a sore back from stooping when I try to shave in our TT.
If you think that's bad, what if you measured yourself in centimeters?

Gene

Old 03-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, you know the old saying, 'Give them 2.54 centimetres and they'll take 1.609 kilometres.'